hev

trouble sleeping

me and steve have real trouble getting to sleep,even if he is exhausted hes laying awake for hours,what remedies have worked for you,he is constantly tired as he never gets up late even if hes still tired

what keeps me awake when im really tired is too much thinking so try and talk about any worries or fears or problems you have before going to bed,or write them down(im a mega list writer)then theres the usuals,have a warm bath,milky drink,dont eat to late or drink caffeine or smoke.

i found a tea called a sleep time tea it has vinalla, honey and calomile find this can help if you pm me i can tell you which shop sells then as i don't think i am allowed to post the name here

Lavender Oil .... swear by it, in the bath or in a dish in the room, works really well for T as well, many a meltdown calmed by a lavender oil bath.

HHxx

Valerian is good for sleeping, as are hops (scroll down the page) and lettuce - these are often combined together in herbal remedies sold at health shops.

The amino acid 5HTP is also good to help with sleeping - its a precursor to serotonin - you can get it in turkey and cheese or it is sold as a supplement at a certain health food store which is advertising a half price sale at the moment - not cheap - ?15 for a months supply.

Hi all,

I am taking Keegan to the dr's tomorrow but i was wondering how many hours sleep did your children have a night before they started taking melatonin. I want to see if Keegans sleep patterns are serve enough to warrant melatonin???

He goes up to bed at 8.30 and is still awake after 12 more 1ish most night and wakes up at 6.45/7. Maybe all in all about 5hrs sleep and this is now affecting his moods and school????

Not sure if GP can prescribe this, thought it had to be a consultant? Probably I'm wrong!

"I" was waking for roughly 4 hours every night, was having problems going to sleep too, now she goes off to sleep ok, but the melatonin doesn't keep them asleep! so, still waking!

If any one knows of any other meds that can be prescribed PLEASE let us know!!! (not slow release M, useless!)

Anna x

Not sure if GP can prescribe this, thought it had to be a consultant? Probably I'm wrong!

"I" was waking for roughly 4 hours every night, was having problems going to sleep too, now she goes off to sleep ok, but the melatonin doesn't keep them asleep! so, still waking!

If any one knows of any other meds that can be prescribed PLEASE let us know!!! (not slow release M, useless!)

Anna x

Oh, i did not realise this about a consultant being the only one to prescibe it!!! Bummer i'll try the gp and see what he recommends.

Hi Justamom,

I can't comment on the Melatonin thing - but my daughter is nearly 13 and not prescribed or taking anything at the moment. During the week she normally falls asleep somewhere between 12 and 1am - although sometimes later - and wakes several times in the night - she gets up at 6.45am for school - if she's up a lot in the night or doesn't go to sleep til around 2am she is exceptionally 'crabby' and usually ends up not going to school.

I would say on average she is kind of tired most days but I just can't get her to sleep any earlier - but at the weekend she's usually up by 8am on her own accord and doesn't go to sleep til much later.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Hi yes it has to be a ped' for Melatonin because it doesn't have a medicane licence in this country.Doc can prescribe the Val something a anti-histamine and diazapam and some other things.Doc will tell you what he thinks is best for you son.

Char only has 4 / 5 hours sleep with at least two wakings in that time and up for good latest 4am.Melatonin will only aid him to sleep it won't keep him asleep.

Lisa x

Had appointment with consultant psychiatrist today . He was brill , didnt talk to me as if im 5 like previous DRs .Between us agreed to try melatonin again for DS sleep prob. Going to give it a go for 4 weeks then if no improvment going to add a small dose of resperidon. Also thought test for fragile x may be a good idea something i asked for years ago and was refused .

so all in all a good day except he hadnt go a perscription pad with him so got to be sent through post.

FINGERS CROSSED SLEEP HERE I COME :lol:

Good luck i hope u do get the sleep that is well needed, i am hoping to be going down that road too as T doesnt sleep until 4am if i am lucky!!

Bambi x

Still no sleep here :crying: Perscription finally arrived today BUT is for slow release melatonin which isnt suitable as i have to mix it in a drink so DS will take it and DR isnt in till tomorrow to alter it :wallbash:

IT finally arrived yesterday our long awaited Melatonin.Gave it to kofi around 8ish by 9 he was asleep with me lying with him every time i tried to escape he woke by 10 i'd made my bid for freedom . At 1am my bedroom door flew open and in he came non to happy , got in my bed and before i could chuck him out was fast asleep. Had to wake him for school ! Now to tackle the task of getting him to stay put in his bed :rolleyes: At respite tonight so at least i've got the bed to myself

Hi martyn , sorry havnt replied earlier been on hol. melatonin is naturally secreted by the brain at night to help our bodies regulate sleep / wake cycles . Its belived people with asd dont produce enough .

Kofi has been taking it for about 6 weeks . Its great for getting him off to sleep usally takes about 45 mins but he still wakes during the night :(

Its only available on perscription here and took 5 days to order in . Just come back from the states where you can pick it up of the shelf 120 tabs for �6 .

Have a look at www.melatonin-info.co.uk it will tell you more and they have a list of sites where you can buy it

Well theres still not alot of sleep around here :crying: After giving the melatonin a good try started on 0.25mg of respirodone but kofi is still waking at least twice a night. We were up at 5 this morning. Not sure what to do next

The only good thing he has slept in his own bed this week but i think that was more to do with the promise of choosing a new toy or dvd on sat . When i asked him what he wanted he replied BIG TOY

YIPPEE :first::groupwave::band:

Kofi slept all night in his own bed . I didn't lay there waiting for him to wake :rolleyes:

Early days but hope i've cracked it

i get 2-3 hours sleep a night, when you add up all the 30 minute slots i manage. i'm exhausted all the time. occasionally i sleep 14 hours as i 'crash' and then that day i feel great, but then dont sleep at all for several days and wind up back at the start again.

anyone got any ideas on something to help? i went to my useless GP, she gave me sedatives then told me not to take them because they were addictive so i didn't collect the prescription. that is all she will do, she doesn't believe i have the trouble i say, she's convinced i'm some crazed hyperchondriac trying to scam inhalers for my fake but fully diagnosed asthma or something

Hi, I also hardly sleep. although I used too, but since my sons behaviour changed so dramatically as he hit adolesence Sleep eluded me, my gp has been very understaning and has given me sleeping tablets, I take them once or twice a week, expecially the nights beofre I work. Its not ideal, but knowing I am going to get 1/2 nights a week sleep makes the sleepless nights more bearable. When you have 4 kids and a job you HAVE to sleep!!! hope some of that helped, off to work now. >:D<<'> Enid

I occasionally take any one of the following

Kalms night

Boots Homeopathic Sleep remedy

Nytol

I try to avoid it, but its terrible when you get to bed and you cant sleep, but you are desperate to sleep because you know that your sleep is going to be interrupted at some point by either one of 3 little people. Every morning I feel hung over!

I also have a relaxation CD which is a self hypnosis thing which tells you you are going to get a good nights sleep. Sometimes works. Unless a little person comes in half way through it. I also learnt self hypnosis from a clinical hypnotist, which is really deep relaxation.

I find the trouble with sleep remedies (medication that is) is they make me feel depressed the next day. Which isnt good. The Boots Homeopathic one has the least depressing effect.

I've been having trouble for a while now and have found that Nytol works...sometimes.

I found that a lightbox helped a little bit in establishing a better sleep cycle by balancing the levels of melatonin and seratonin in the brain. There are also devices that emit certain sounds that are supposed to calm the brain and make sleep easier.

Personally I don't think that sedatives are the answer as they tend not to promote 'natural sleep' and can often result in poor quality sleep that doesn't actually make you feel any less tired.

Won't post any names but I can PM you the name of the box I use (which includes the lightbox and sound generator) but might be best to try alternatives before forking out for one.

Regular sleep is important for regulating things. Sleeping pills can become addictive, but most people do not have this problem if they use them as prescribed. Some people don't need to use them every single night. Don't be scared of them.

You can get herbal sleep aids, and some are available in stronger formulations from the pharmacy counter. Some of them don't seem to help me at all, it can be a case of trial and error.

Melatonin might help. You cannot buy it but you can get it on prescription. You can also mail order it over the internet. It is not illegal to import medicines for your own use.

hi

my husband had probs sleeping he used sominex, you can get them at the chemist, he tryed nytol first but didnt work for him, but the sominex worked great he didnt have any grogginess in the morning with them as well. hope you find something to help you sleep they is nothing worse than no sleep.

take care

theresa xx

With mod hat on, just a word of caution:

It's a good idea to get professional advice before trying any new remedy. What works for one person may not work for another, and some medication may have harmful side effects for certain people. It's useful to share information, but please be careful when considering whether to follow any medical recommendation made on the forum.

Kathryn

Lettuce sandwich with a hot milky drink will help

Hi Flibs, I'm not sure if that's some tried/trusted remedy or a joke, but for some people sleep or aspects of sleep are a major issue (you simply can't function on a day to day basis if you don't sleep properly on a continuous basis <Joke about Thatcher, 4 hours sleep a night and implications for the country removed in case it upsets anyone... :devil::whistle:>) and I think the next person who tells me to have a milky drink or try to listen to some relaxing music might get thumped!! :fight: (that's not a threat against you btw, just trying to show that this is incredibly frustrating and at extreme levels, unhelpful).

I'm now taking sedatives prescribed by my GP because I was having extreme night terrors that were becoming physically dangerous to me. No, it's not 'proper' sleep and can leave you drowsy the next day, but once you reach the stage where sedatives are required, any sleep is preferable to none/fear of sleeping. If nothing else, it gives you that little bit of extra energy during the day to address the root causes of the issues and make changes that might help in the long term.

Hi

My son is on medication to help him sleep, but I think that's only part of the solution. I'm sure you've tried this, but should anyone who perhaps hasn't, establishing a 'winding down' routine can help a bit. Although I've went against the advice (not a conscious effort to do so, but because I found it works for my son) of my son's consultant, even watching tv just before bedtime should be ruled out. Apparently, watching tv is proven to increase brain activity. Reading or listening to music is apparently the best options. In addition, watching what you eat or drink after 7pm (or earlier for child, dependent upon bedtime) is imperative ie one should avoid caffeine, etc. Avoiding exercise is also advised.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Regarding hot milky drinkl that is supposdly tired and trusted I wouldn't know I am vegan and would certainly not drink milk . The reason I put lettuce sandwich is supposed to be the combination of carbohydrates in the bread aiding sleep and lettuce has a substance in which is also named lettuce opium which is said to aid insomnia. I am sorry you find my suggestion that as a joke or as you said incredibly frustrating and at extreme levels, unhelpful that was not my intention at all.The thread topic asked for suggestions for natural/herbal supplements which I was giving ....

For however you feel Mumble I keep comming back to this post wanting and waiitng for an apology for the reply you gave me . It made my point of view seem undervalued and even as though I was having fun at your expense .for me that is not acceptable

i haven't won the battle with the tablets. i was so exhausted after two nights with no sleep and two kids under 3 in the house that i got tonsillitis, the sickness bug and a rotten cold all at the same time. i still couldn't take the tablets incase i got adicited to them.

so i'm thinking of broaching the subject of melatonin with my GP. the worst she can do is refuse to give it to me. i think i will ask my mother to come with me. that way i am less likely to get fobbed off with 'just try to not have caffiene/sugar before bed, have a calming routine, take a bath' and so on. while i'm sure they work for some people. i'm certainly not one of them!

i know i can sleep at night, i go through phases where i'll have 3/4 days where i sleep perfectly and wake up feeling great. but then something happens (no idea what) and i'm up all night again.

i looked on the internet so i would know more about availability/types of melatonin for the doctor. i saw drops and slow-release tablets. does anyone have any experience of either of these? what happens when you take them (i have to know the 'theory' behind everything before i can do it.

It comes in a liquid form for people who cannot take tablets. This acts very quickly, whereas tablets take around half an hour. They work in exactly the same way, it's just that liquid is absorbed by the body much faster.

Slow release tablets can be good if your problem is that you wake up several times throughout the night. If you simply have difficulty dropping off in the first place, standard-release might be best.

Melatonin is not a sleeping pill though, it might not be strong enough to help with severe problems.

You can purchase Melatonin without a prescription in the USA, and it is not illegal to import it for your own personal use. If your GP refuses to prescribe but doesn't indicate that it could be harmful, that is another possibility.

thanks for the information. odds are my GP wont' actually know anything about it, but i have now found one who is willing to ask me to come back a week later and will find out information so she can make a decision. although it might not work, its worth a go. i've run out of options otherwise. although this will be my first conversation about sleep since the NHS diagnosis, so perhaps attitudes will have changed.

5htp and taurine help me sleep. What a stupid doctor to give you something then tell you "not to take it" erm why prescribe it then?