stressed out mum

Fish oil supplements

Hi Everyone

My son was taken off Ritalin after 2 years because it was giving him tics and not helping his concentration anymore.

We then tried eye-q which after 3 months doesn't seem to helping either.

Spoke to someone in the health shop and they recommended EPA Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mg which is much cheaper but has anyone else tried it?

My son is happy to take them although they are huge but how long do I wait to see if they work?

My son is becoming more unhappy at school now and his older sister is still being a ###### cow (had a moan about her at christmas on the forum) I am wondering if she is on drugs now :crying: but then that's another forum completely.

Hi stressed out mum

Hope this gets to you ok...it's my 1st reply!

I am relatively new to all this, but the other day i was listening to radio 5 as they had a dr on there discussing ASD and the supplements recomended. She was saying the mistake people make is that they get something with Omega 3 but forget about the other important one...Omega 6. She commented on that the ones to go for would be those that are high in DHA and EPA.

The ones that had been tried and tested were in fact eye Q, when i looked into getting this for my son it recomended doubling the dose for the 1st 12 weeks to get the essential oils into the system, only after this time bring it down to the required amount.

I currently give my son Haliborange, hes had it for about 2 mths now and i am starting to notice a slight difference in his concentration. I am in the process of trying to get DLA, if the application gets accepted i will certainly try the eye q and c if doubling it for the 1st 12wks really does help. It's just so expensive that it is not a possibilty at the mo.

Don't know if it helps you with your question, just thought i would let you know what i did, unfortunately very little at the mo!! I don't know if you can view the discussion on-line or not? www.bbc.co.uk/radio5

Good luck with the supplements, you will have to let me know if it works!

Hi tmf

Thanks for your reply

Yes we doubled the dose for the time he was on it but it didn't seem to make any difference.

The one's I have started to use contain

Fish Oil 1,000mg

Which contains

EPA 180mg

DHA 120mg

I know what you mean about the price we managed to get them on buy 2 get 1 free in boots, but these are ?7.99 for 100 capsules so I hope they work :unsure:

Hi,

ur lucky ur son will take capsules, my son won't go near them, i have to give him liquid form. If it's any help to you, haliorange omega3 fish oil contains the following.....

DHA 300mg

EPA 150mg

Certainly trial and error with this isn't it!! :wacko:

Tina

On the subject of Eye Q - try the Eye Q Smooth sachets if capsules and tablets won't work - they are like squeezy yoghurts. Kind of small sachets.

My very fussy son has one everyday and as he has never eaten fish, he can't compare the taste (they do have a slightly fishy/tuna overtone but are fruit flavoured). ?15 for 30 = not cheap. Sometimes Boots do a 3 for 2. Haliborange are also quite nice tasting but Eye Q seems to get better press and marketing.

He has been on them for 5 months, on one a day, difficult to know if they are working or if he is just getting better with age.

We've started giving Logan the MorEPA tablets. We decided against Eye-Q after I read a thread on here which said the evening primrose oil can cause increased stimming etc and he's bad enough. the MorEPA doesn't have Evening Primrose oil in it. Interestingly enough my Mum is epileptic and not allowed to take evening primrose oil so there must be some connection.

He's only been on them a few weeks though so too early to tell. We empty them into hsi juice.

Lynne

Tescos own omega 3 capsules have very similar ratios of EPA/DHA and Omega 3/6 to Eye Q and they dont have Evening Primrose either. Switched ben over and no negatives whatsoever...

Only downside is that their cap is a big one a day, where Eye q is smaller and 2 per day, but if your nipper can handle them or (as Lynne does) you can mix the contents with drinks...

Have searched for this thread on Evening primrose oil but cannot get it??? Can anyone tell me the link to evening primrose and increased stimming?? I have noticed that my son is way more agitated when I have used any supplements with evening primrose!! I found a link on the web that said it may lower the threshold for frontal-lobe seizures?? As my son is only three I have found that a lot of the alternative fish oils state that they are for older children.

Hi Everyone

My son was taken off Ritalin after 2 years because it was giving him tics and not helping his concentration anymore.

Spoke to someone in the health shop and they recommended EPA Fish Oil Concentrate 1000mg which is much cheaper but has anyone else tried it?

My son is happy to take them although they are huge but how long do I wait to see if they work?

My son is becoming more unhappy at school now and his older sister is still being a ###### cow (had a moan about her at christmas on the forum) I am wondering if she is on drugs now :crying: but then that's another forum completely.

My son who is 7 and HFA uses Eskimo Kids, reputed to be the most pharmaceutically pure, has Omega 3,6 and 9 and uses fish and plant oils, one 5ml spoon per day and about ?14 per 2 months, try my nutrition shop asthey have wide range at discounted prices, good delivery too. First time user so sorry if postyed wrong. :D

Have searched for this thread on Evening primrose oil but cannot get it??? Can anyone tell me the link to evening primrose and increased stimming?? I have noticed that my son is way more agitated when I have used any supplements with evening primrose!! I found a link on the web that said it may lower the threshold for frontal-lobe seizures?? As my son is only three I have found that a lot of the alternative fish oils state that they are for older children.

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=4918

Link above. Logan is only 2.5 but when giving him MorEPA which is age I contacted Healthy & Essential to check what I should be giving him and they recommended the morEPA whereas they'd recommend the morDHA for NT children.

Lynne

Thanks Lynne. I have looked at the morEPA but it could not see one that was not flavoured. My son is on v strict diet and most of the flavourings don't seem to agree with him. Is the one you use flavoured....or do you (or anyone) know of an unflavoured - non toxic fish oil supplement with no evening primrose???? Not too demanding am I ?!?!? :rolleyes:

No the one we have is lemon flavoured - though I haven't tasted it to see! Thankfully Logan doesn't seem to react to flavourings. I'd imagine there must be something out there though!

Lynne

My son take fishoils, omega 3 etc. He takes 1000mg 3 times a day. Any less than this and his concentration goes and he switches off. His doctor is aware he takes this amount and see no problem with it if it the dose that helps him.

I've just wasted more money on Omega 3, this time the bassetts jelly sweet ones, bought 3 for 2 but the kids don't like them. I've tried loads but can't get my kids to take them. We've tried the berry burst things, the orange ones, the normal eye q ones. They all seem to leave an after taste. I'm sure they'd really benefit from taking them. My husband has quite bad dyslexia, he's been taking Efalex for years (same sort of thing as eye q) and it's really helped him. Any suggestions?

My older boy with ASD has been able to swallow tablets from a very early age so the eye Q are great for him. We have recently been told on the Autism Medical forum that eye Q is not suitable for a gluten free casein free diet due to flavourings used and the gelatin in the capsule also something about mercury content of fish oil. We were advised to try hemp oil instead Marcus won,t touch it says it tastes discusting even noticed it mixed in with his soya yoghurt and refused to eat it so at present we are still on eye Q.

I have tried lots of fish oil capsules and liquid with my twins (not ASD) and they have rejected them all. I was bursting the eye Q chews into milkshake and they took that for about 4 days but then stopped drinking it, as soon as i cut out the capsules they will drink it again. It always intrigues me why ASD kids are so faddy with food but usually good with medication (if it is the right colour remember difficulties with paracetamol suspension would only take pink calpol and would only take yellow antibiotics).

I've just wasted more money on Omega 3, this time the bassetts jelly sweet ones, bought 3 for 2 but the kids don't like them. I've tried loads but can't get my kids to take them. We've tried the berry burst things, the orange ones, the normal eye q ones. They all seem to leave an after taste. I'm sure they'd really benefit from taking them. My husband has quite bad dyslexia, he's been taking Efalex for years (same sort of thing as eye q) and it's really helped him. Any suggestions?

A lot of the commercial brands have quite a lot of ###### in them, frankly, so you have to be really careful what you buy.

Best one I've found is Eskimo Kids /It's made from good quality fish, flavouring is from oils rather than artificial additives, and is blended with rapeseed oil rather than evening primrose (as in Eye Q) which some say exacerbates autistic symptoms. J has been taking this for about three years now, can't really comment on what it's done for him as he's had a hectic time until fairly recently. I personally think all kids (if not adults too) should take an Omega supplement and this seems to be among the best.

Karen

I have edited out link in line with Forum rules.Do please pm Karen if you would like details.Regards Karen.

Edited by Karen A

Sorry mods, meant to send that as a PM but I'm a bit of a numty today...

K

x

I have Edited the previous post but fine for people to pm.Regards Karen.

Edited by Karen A
Moderator Edit

HI my son, has taken something called VEG EPA, which i think may be similar to MOR EPA, i was told the dha cancels out the EPA and to make sure I had a DHA Free product which is really hard to find, i have seen a massive improvement in focus and concentration. also my son couldnt take tablet, these you can cut open and massage into skin when asleep.

HI my son, has taken something called VEG EPA, which i think may be similar to MOR EPA, i was told the dha cancels out the EPA and to make sure I had a DHA Free product which is really hard to find, i have seen a massive improvement in focus and concentration. also my son couldnt take tablet, these you can cut open and massage into skin when asleep.

Hi allset - I think you may have that the wrong way round (?). Many brands contain Evening Primrose Oil as well as EPA/DHA, and that has been highlighted by some people as increasing stimming.

The DHA ratio is supposed to be important, but unless there's new research it was because some brands had lower ratios of DHA and this was considered a negative (?) The 'leading brand' has a high concentration of DHA but also contains Evening Primrose Oil so many people looked for an alternative that didn't have the Evening Primrose Oil but did contain the higher ratio of DHA...

i think omega 3's from veg sources were considered unsuitable because they don't contain the right DHA, but as i said I haven't looked at the latest research.

Ben takes the tesco own brand and has done for years. no idea if it 'helps' now (it did seem to when he first started), but whether helping academically or not Omega 3 supplements are a good idea generally given that the usual sources are not part of most peeps everyday diet these days.

I take 'em too, but still creak like a Spanish galleon in the mornings! :lol:

Hope that's helpful.

L&P

BD

Can someone tell me, Why would you give eye Q? The reason I ask is because some one mentioned it to me and said they helped her boy. We are getting dx now. Definitely on spectrum, they said, but we need to know where. I just wondered what they do? Would they help him at school?

Joanne

Not sure if I have posted in right place, but I have put ds on eye q after someone said they helped their son. He is dx asd. I just wondered if anyone has given these to their kids and if they did help.

It is my understanding that they take a while to get in your system, and be of benefit. He isn't complaning about taking them which i suppose is a good thing, as it is 6 a day at the minute.

Joanne

hi joanne, i started cam on eyeQ he was on it for about 5 months and to be honest i dont think it made a difference to him but i know results vary, i stopped using it as i felt like i was wasting my money! i do believe that all the omegas do have a part to play in brain function and development though so i decided to try the eskimo kids omega 3,6 and 9 oil and whether its because the eye Q started the job or maybe cam has reacted better to the eskimo kids, i have to say i have noticed a difference in his behaviour! and he says it tastes much better than eye Q! it is slightly more expensive but you dont have to do the initial extra dosage.

sonj

hi joanne, i started cam on eyeQ he was on it for about 5 months and to be honest i dont think it made a difference to him but i know results vary, i stopped using it as i felt like i was wasting my money! i do believe that all the omegas do have a part to play in brain function and development though so i decided to try the eskimo kids omega 3,6 and 9 oil and whether its because the eye Q started the job or maybe cam has reacted better to the eskimo kids, i have to say i have noticed a difference in his behaviour! and he says it tastes much better than eye Q! it is slightly more expensive but you dont have to do the initial extra dosage.

sonj

My son on Eskimo kids too, been on it 3 weeks and seems much calmer (only one major meltdown). Even his teacher said how much calmer he was this term and thats before she knew. . .who knows but worth a try!!!

Not heard of Eskimo kids. Where do you buy it from and how much should I expect to pay?

How does it help?

Not heard of Eskimo kids. Where do you buy it from and how much should I expect to pay?

How does it help?

Sorry for late reply, only just found this. I got it off Amazon. Was expensive but I thought it worth I find it hard to shop around with kids on tow. . . .

How does it help?

Hi Diane, i have PM'd you

Not sure if I have posted in right place, but I have put ds on eye q after someone said they helped their son. He is dx asd. I just wondered if anyone has given these to their kids and if they did help.

It is my understanding that they take a while to get in your system, and be of benefit. He isn't complaning about taking them which i suppose is a good thing, as it is 6 a day at the minute.

Joanne

i have found them to be very helpful to my dyspraxic (undiagnosed) symptoms.

Hi Everyone

i had severe aggression on the H&B brand of fish oils.

i take the liquid form in the morning (trying to cut down on soya intake) and in the evening (thanks for the reminded lol).

i find that after the initial 12 weeks of being on the stuff many effects have been reported to happen.

1, co ordination becomes better

2, concentration increases

3, eases mild to moderate depression

4, has been known to help with dyslexia and adhd as well as autism.

Alexis