amberzak

One word association

script

I am a user of Apple Mac OSX, it has a dictionary which helps a lot, other than that Googles translate. Myself I really know very little except for the important things, which is mostly were to find what I need to know.

From the Latin scribere or at least similar too.

I am a member of Asperclick as well, same ID. Its more international. However I look to see if anything has happened here every time I leave it and am about to shut my laptop down.

Quill

Myself I really know very little except for the important things, which is mostly were to find what I need to know.

I know too much - except for the unimportant things such as how to manage money, forms, cope with the NT world, etc. :D :D

PS - Yes, it's from the Latin. Romanian is the nearest living language to Latin. It evolved from the Latin spoken by the occupying Romans, and has since acquired many words derived fro other languages - especially Slavic words.

calligraphy

The art of writing, certainly oriental scripts look like stunning works of art. Though if the text is too be large a paint roller is as good as a small brush.

This 'one word' rule has gone completely out of the window ;)

Production

Remote viewing - through the window

(Did someone say this 'one-word' rule had gone completely out of the window? I make up my own rules as I go along - a technique learnt from corrupt solicitors and council lackeys. If they can get away with it why can't the rest of us?

By the way, did you know that the German for television is fernsehen, meaning 'far-seeing' (a calque of the French télévision), and their word for radio is funk, meaning 'spark'? The Germans seem to dislike foreign word borrowings.

Imagine if we called our televisions far-seers. We wouldn't be watching the TV - we'd be 'far-seeing'! In fact, Iranians far-see in Farsi. :D

Edited by Mihaela

Crystal-Ball

Two words, but with a "-" for glue, the Germans do not bother and just join it all together. "Kristallkugel".

Non electronic version of the "TV"?, much fun can be had gazing through obscure distorting glass, more fun than most TV?

And of course better shaped glass will give you a telescope the "far-see" as mentioned above. Two bits of glass and a roll of dark card?

weather-forcasting

or weather-predicting which gets better translations on google such as 気象予測 or prezicerea vreme.

It seems with all the fancy computer programs and emulations costing who knows what, the most reliable means of weather forecasting is to poke you head out of a window! They as well peek into a mug of hot coffee and twirl a bag of crisps around their heads.

Laika-space-dog

First dog into space, and one of its casualties, from high atmosphere satellites to space.

And yes it was a beautiful day for someone somewhere, rain or sunshine, the world looks best after a good wash.

Edited by Waterboatman

The Germans seem to dislike foreign word borrowings.

Except for 'Computer', 'Laptop', 'Pommes', 'Bonbon', 'Champignon' among many others ;)

Mercury

The Nazis were largely responsible for banning foreign loanwords. (just as the British tried to ban dachshunds, sauerkraut, etc. and rename German shepherd dogs after Alsace. They even banned 'Adieu' as un-German. I wonder if those words you list have been reinstated or introduced post-war - laptop certainly. The French are perhaps the most reluctant to adopt foreign loanwords at an official level. They invent new words such as ordinateur for 'computer' and courriel for 'email' and assign official genders to those foreign words that creep in through the back door, such as le parking - 'the car park', etc.

Quicksilver

Germany today is vastly different to Nazi Germany. It is much more progressive. Germans try to remove as many aspects of Nazism from their culture as possible these days, such as rarely using 'Führer' for 'leader', instead preferring 'Leiter' or 'Leiterin'. Modern German has many loanwords, mostly from French. It doesn't surprise me that the French are so reluctant to adopt loanwords - France is becoming quite right wing.

Skateboard

Fishmongers' slab

It doesn't surprise me that the French are so reluctant to adopt loanwords - France is becoming quite right wing.

Ever since Revolutionary times France has been like this, due largely to the enormous influence of the Académie française on the language. The post-war influence of Americanisms, exacerbated by the rise of the internet, is seen as a threat to the purity of the French language by very many, both on the left and the right..

fugu

For those who wish to live more dangerously.

I can so see this being the tagline for some advert :P

Poison!

gourmet-chef

Someone who works with exotic ingredients many of which of highly poisonous, not just the narcotics that can be bought in the supermarket under cooking ingredients.

Much poison is of course medicine, but I think a good cook is better than a doctor any day, well most days. A gourmet chef might add you in some way to the "menu" if you presented with a broken leg.

Porter. As in kitchen porter. One of the worst jobs in the world...

Beer

There is a type of beer called porter, dark ale. I would like some at the moment, or a Guiness for that matter.

I can not really drink, as my main pain killer is synthetic opiate.

Hops

Porter is lovely. I wouldn't mind a glass or 20 right now either

pogo-stick

lame frog using a pogo stick to get around, either a green amphibian or a rather inebriated french man. :) Thats all that good English beer we were considering downing, your 20 Pints and whatever I could drink, a thirst that could drain Lake Geneva.

I was considering putting E-type-jag, (or its nearest equivalent) with hop into it and fetch me to a watering hole. Too late now, I am on my second opiate, alcohol and it make strange companions. Doable but even on a low dose dodgy. I am doing 1 day on opiate 2 to 3 off. I call it opiate because I can not remember it otherwise.

space-hopper

The bouncy :) made remember those strange bouncy sit on things. :)

Danger mouse had something of the same name, now where is Danger mouse and his assistant Penfold? :)

:P Gonk :photo:

Same era, same weirdness. I once saw a table piled up with gonks of all sizes and colours, when driving at night along Watling Street near Wibtoft. Quite surreal. I nearly careered into them and caused another pile-up.

rag-doll

Albeit a "Gonk" is a cheap inferior version, my doll "Annabel" would be rather annoyed if I said anything else! :)

How else do give a doll to a self conscious boy, call it something else. I remember "Action Man" that was a doll that dare not call itself a doll.

On a recent rare outing, shopping, my sister looking for a Christmas present for her Grand-Son, thought it strange when I suggested a doll for my great-nephew. Silly is it not, boys like playing with dolls too, its just they tend to be "teddys" or "gonks".

Physics

A term that will only be understood by gaming nerds such as myself, 'ragdoll physics' refers to the simulation of limp bodies for corpses etc. Can result in hilarious glitches when improperly implemented

Boredom

I hated physics at school with a vengeance. The teacher was boring, as were most. It was only later that I learnt of its importance.

I'd have answered 'cat' to your Rag-doll reply, Waterboatman. Adorable floppy little cats. I have a 13yo friend who, at the very mention of rag-doll cats, feels an uncontrollable need to have one (or more).

As for Action Man, I find him far too aggressive for my liking! Barbie is equally obnoxious. I like pretty, unthreatening, dolls, and have several including an antique Armand Marseille doll (c1890) called Lettice. :) Very like this one:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=armand+marseille&biw=1024&bih=489&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zejBVOWMNfKP7Aa7uoCABQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ#imgdii=_&imgrc=Mp-wr6OU9L7UGM%253A%3ByEDzdY79v-cLLM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fp2.la-img.com%252F1001%252F20050%252F6852618_1_l.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.liveauctioneers.com%252Fitem%252F6852618%3B600%3B450

Edited by Mihaela

Knitting

The cat plays and unravels your ball of wool, in protest over your knitting a new jacket for a rather cold porcelain doll.

Some people just use knitting to have something to do, a way never to suffer from boredom. Or just a good way to keep all the dolls warm and cosy. That is if you can the ball of wool from the cats before its lost or too tangled about the furniture and cats. The cat version of knitting? :)

Web.

I was told as a child that spiders knit their webs. I now know better.

rabbit-warren

The rabbits version of the internet, with the odd spider co-inhabitating, the rabbits web meets the spiders web.

There is a "bird eating spider" the tarantula, with evolution playing its odd trick, just think the "rabbit eating spider", a larger vision of the tarantula, maybe the the widespread use of fertilisers and insecticides has combined to make the classic giant spider of many horror stories.

Maybe this giant spider uses knitting needles and sticky wool to make its webs and nets. :) or is it :(

MAZE

You silly thing, KK! I thought everyone knew that spiders crochet their webs, and bunnies knit their mazy warrens. That's why abandoned crochet hooks can often be seen flooding out of spouts in heavy rain - along with scampering spiders. One, strangely named Incey Wincey, became famous for this during the great storm of 1839. A village near here, Ince Blundell, site of his grave (sadly unmarked) was named after him, and another village, Ince, near Wigan, commemorates his birthplace. :)

Az for mayziz they're amayzing! I once had great fun in the maze at Worden Park, near Leyland. I have a fixation about ancient turf mazes too.

"Maybe this giant spider uses knitting needles and sticky wool to make its webs and nets."
What do you mean 'maybe'? Of course it does! :D

Labyrinth

misadventure

Good intentions that went wrong, or where doomed to failure from the start.

A misunderstanding of human nature.

All social experiments tend to fail when applied on a large scale,

and some just fall apart regardless of scale.

The saying "KISS" or "Keep It Simple Stupid" applies to almost everything.

Edited by Waterboatman

Aventurine

The name aventurine derives from the Italian "a ventura" meaning "by chance". This is an allusion to the lucky discovery of aventurine glass or goldstone at some point in the 18th century. (Wikipedia)