Sign in to follow this  
sue1957

Exploring People's Decisions Not To Vaccinate

On the noticeboard of the informed parent website was a notice asking for people who had taken the decision not to have their children vaccinated or have refused vaccinations themselves who would agree to be interviewed about their views and experiences of health, illness and medical intervention. They are looking at the range of reasons a minority of the population refuse vaccinations.

I emailed and was sent information and a consent form to sign. The researcher then arranged to conduct a telephone interview, which was taped (with my consent) and it took about an hour. The researcher wanted my ideas and views on health and vaccinations and how I came to make the decisions about not having the jabs. Also how others viewed my decison and how I feel about decisions I have made in the past. She was probably sorry she asked :D:lol:

The study is being done by the University of Edinburgh, Public Health Sciences. It was nice to be able to talk about my experiences and views without being defensive. I don't know what the research will lead to, but maybe the fact that this study has got funding is a hopeful sign?