Sign in to follow this  
hollymg

Homeopathy and Autism

From the "it can't hurt to try" category.

Keep in mind I am in the US and from what I have read, homeopathy is more common everywhere else so I thought I'd ask my UK friends here for their advice and experiences.

I just recently met a homeopathist and read a book she recommended, and now I'm curious about it helping my ds with some of his issues. She is not taking any new clients and there aren't many practitioners here, so I went to the web where I found a symptom checklist which steered me towards a remedy (if it matters they suggested nux vomica for "fastidiousness--I'm thinking of his bleeding hands from overwashing them!--and aversion to answering in conversation.")

But the advice on doseage was very vague considering the circumstances, so I'd like to hear what is the best way to start, and for how long?

because you are dealing with long term 'chronic' and 'constitutional' problems you really do need to see a homeopath because the treatment is more complex than the ordinary self-help variety and a homeopath will know the combinations of remedies that will work best and have access to the higher potency remedies you can't get over the counter

trying things yourself for specific symtoms is safe but stick to the lower potency, 6x or 30x, and don't use for more than a couple of weeks or the remedy may 'prove' - it can increase the symptoms if it's not the right remedy or it's given for too long. If there is improvement it should be noticable within a week or so.

Zemanski

We were talking about homeopathic secretin a while ago:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...wtopic=2667&hl=

FWIW I have not had to use any medication of any kind on my ASD son for about 2 years.

This book is on my wish list http://www.impossiblecure.com/ The author is on Autism One radio every month.

hi

been searching through previous posts for info on homeopathic secretin i know theres some posts about this but cannot find them my daughter is seeing a homeopath who has just rung me regarding this anyone had any dealings with this

Tracey

Hi tracey,

Yep, my lad had this for a while when he was younger, about 5 ish. At first the school said they saw a lot of improvements in his behaviour and concentration, he was apparently, 'a different boy'. It felt as though the effects didn't last though, and eventually we started to feel that it was having any further affect so we stopped it. Didn't notice any changes after we stopped either.

Good luck if you decide to try it.

~ Mel ~

We were talking about homeopathic secretin a while ago:

http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.ph...wtopic=2667&hl=

FWIW I have not had to use any medication of any kind on my ASD son for about 2 years.

This book is on my wish list http://www.impossiblecure.com/ The author is on Autism One radio every month.

Hi

I came across same sources of information and I am ready to learn more and try homeopathy/detox. Do you know any really good practitioners in London?

thank you for any advice

Rasto

I have recently done some research on homeopathy for university. It seems the concentrations in many solutions are so dilute there is virtually none of the original material in the finished product. There is however some evidence of efficacy from the "placebo effect" and there is debate in the nhs about whether it can therefore be used as such since placebo's themselves are not used due to ethical considerations. The "it won't hurt to try it" attitiude might be the best. Either it will have a desired effect even if we don't fully understand the reasonings for it, or it will have the desired effect due to placebo effect or it will have no effect. As long as there is no negative effect all is well really imo.

Just joined but I am really am quite disturbed to see so much discussion around Homeopathy. I believe very strongly that all homeopathy is fraudulent

This post isn't going to make me popular but I feel I do have moral duty to make

I am very critical of Homeopathy because of the following reasons;

1. Dilution - homeopathic medicines are diluted to point that too little of the active ingredient is left to be effective. this is evidenced by organised overdoses of homeopathic medicines (None of the participants required any medical attention)

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/29/sceptics-homeopathy-mass-overdose-boots

2. Like cures like theory - the theory behind homeopathy is that a disease can be cured by a substance that causes the same symptoms in healthy people. this theory is 200 years old has been widely discredited by mainstream science.

The alternative medical system of homeopathy was developed in Germany at the end of the 18th century. Supporters of homeopathy point to two unconventional theories: "like cures like"—the notion that a disease can be cured by a substance that produces similar symptoms in healthy people;

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/homeopathy

3. Law of minimum dose - this theory states that the more diluted a homeopathic remedy is the more effective it will become. this again is deeply flawed notion and anyone who can understand basic physics knows that the opposite is true

and "law of minimum dose"—the notion that the lower the dose of the medication, the greater its effectiveness. Many homeopathic remedies are so diluted that no molecules of the original substance remain.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/homeopathy

I dare say I will some homeopathic "expert" try and pick apart my argument. I am deeply upset to see these fraudsters approaching the families of those with AS/ASD.

As you are aware, there is no cure for AS/ASD.

the financial cost may be £40 here and there on bogus treatments, and the homeopathic therapist will just shrug it off as incompatible when it inevitably doesn't work.

Seeto200

I noticed your comments from another thread. The feature in The Guardian (if true) highlights just how irresponsible these protests are. Some of these people might do severe harm to themselves and clog up A&E departments depriving more needy patients.

Do you seriously believe everything the Government tells you? Most of these "scientific" studies are flawed. Anybody can skew statistics in favour of this and that or discredit this and that.

The Government discredits homeopathy because the traditional health care system and pharmaceutical companies thrive on sick people.

Seeto200

I noticed your comments from another thread. The feature in The Guardian (if true) highlights just how irresponsible these protests are. Some of these people might do severe harm to themselves and clog up A&E departments depriving more needy patients.

Do you seriously believe everything the Government tells you? Most of these "scientific" studies are flawed. Anybody can skew statistics in favour of this and that or discredit this and that.

The Government discredits homeopathy because the traditional health care system and pharmaceutical companies thrive on sick people.

Firstly

to me and many others it highlights just how fraudulent these medications are. the fact that this mass overdose had no effects just shows that these are nothing but sugar pills. I can confidently say that no A&E resources were used or needed.

Secondly

you accuse the government of discrediting homeopathy like some kind of crackpot conspiracy theorist.

do homeopathic therapists not thrive on sick people, or do they get their income via some other method.

several studies have been conducted scientifically which have concluded that homeopathy is no better than a placebo.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_homeopathy

in your post you stated

Most of these "scientific" studies are flawed. Anybody can skew statistics in favour of this and that or discredit this and that.

That is why scientists prefer to publish their studies in peer reviewed journals so that skeptics can analyse the scientific method used in the study.

Pro-Homeopathy studies have been flawed in this one area, the results can-not be reproduced and when reviewed by skeptics the scientific method is either flawed or missing entirely.

finally

It is all too easy to point a finger at the big faceless corporations and the government. I have seen it too many times now and I know what it means.

"There is overwhelming evidence that disproves my argument, So I'll create a conspiracy theory to stop people believing the truth".

"There is overwhelming evidence that disproves my argument,

Please point me to this evidence.

I don't work in homeopathy so can't comment on their studies

But I do know many of the scientific peer-reviewed studies are funded by Big Pharma

Anyway, this is way off topic so apologies to the original poster

Please point me to this evidence.

I don't work in homeopathy so can't comment on their studies

But I do know many of the scientific peer-reviewed studies are funded by Big Pharma

Anyway, this is way off topic so apologies to the original poster

I posted this previously please see the link

several studies have been conducted scientifically which have concluded that homeopathy is no better than a placebo.

http://rationalwiki...._for_homeopathy

Well if you are relying on wiki or any ".gov" websites for your information, then I rest my case...

where is your supporting evidence then?

I have at the very least provided a source for my information, you haven't provided any!

The link I provided contains a summary of unbiased studies attempting to find evidence FOR homeopathy, no evidence could be found