Sign in to follow this  
Emum

Internet connection keeps dropping

For the last week or so, the internet connection on my laptop has been dropping every 2-3 mins for up to 2mins at a time. We have a Netgear router and a Belkin wireless card in the laptop. I've tried rebooting the router, and scanning the laptop for viruses, but no joy. Can anyone offer any advice about how to fix this please, as it's driving me nuts!

We had the same problem. Same configuration but on a desk top. We tried changing channels but no joy. In the end, I hard wired A's computer to the router. His laptop however, works perfectly wirelessly and always maintained the link when his desk top was dropping it, even when we placed them side by side.

I had a problem when using a Netgear USB Wireless adapter under Windows XP that was due to the connection being dropped for about 10 seconds every couple of mins.

The problem was solved by replacing the adapter with a new one purchased off ebay for about a tenner. Might be worth a try if all else fails.

Simon

Do you have anything with bluetooth in your house? If yes, some types will interfere with your wireless connection, like my brothers mobile headset does.

Thanks for the ideas. I haven't been on the forum as much lately as I haven't been able to resolve the problem, but I think this weekend will see a trip out to buy a new router, and hope that solves the problem!