I think thats what it was called, apparently its a supplement meant for depression and insomnia. wondered if anyone had experience of it and wether it was worth looking into.

I googled it but quite honestly im sick of a ll the rubbish that comes up, im sure some ppl have too much spare time!.

anyhoo, would appreciate some info if anyone has any. wondered if it wd react with my thyroxine? :bat:ta

I always look here to find out what other parents think:

http://www.autismwebsite.com/ari/treatment/form34q.htm

And Sunderland think it's harmless

http://osiris.sunderland.ac.uk/autism/durham2.htm#5htp

IMO it could help if your metabolism isn't producing serotonin. I don't know whether your GP would support me in that. Probably not. Come off ADs first, if you're on them. LOL I make it sound easy.

Edited by call me jaded

i thought I would add my experience here with 5htp, it idid actually give me mild hallucinations, ie snakes crawling everywhere and horrific nightmares when i stopped, taking it the snakes stopped, i tried again 2 years later and it did the same thing. I have not been able to find out why but clearly it was reacting with other neurotransmitters and causing an imbalance, but I haven't heard of anyone else but me having this reaction and most people I have spoken to o who take it have found it helpful.

Other meds didn't agree with me either, and i would really prefer to go to a neuropsychiatrist in america where they do high tech brain scans and can tell from abnormal funtioning areas in the brain which meds to us it is more accurate and some people with temporal lobes problems which you will probably have if you have language processing probs or asd can react badly to ssri so they need to balanced with temporal lobe stabiliser ie anti psychotics such dekapote or risperidone etc of course when I told my gp this they just looked at me in disbelief it doesn't seem to occur to them that neurotransmitters are involved, extraordianry the world is completely mad, oh yeah of course its me that is supposed to be mad, and what i think from all the stuff i've read doesn't count

please don't let my experience put you off, as I said i don't know of anyone else who had this it may be jsust me if ssri are ok than probably they will be too

please don't let my experience put you off, as I said i don't know of anyone else who had this it may be jsust me if ssri are ok than probably they will be too

THANKS XX

I keep hearing family and friends recommend this so started taking it Wednesday, not sure if it was the placebo effect or that I had about 3 large cappucinos at a cafe before(normally dont touch coffee or caffene) but I strated getting really knocked out around 9 or 10pm to the point I was almost sick then I came down, kinda like a milder version of smoking a few puffs of a joint.

I then felt a bit not happier but lke the stress was there still but not getting to me as much, still felt low but was able to watch tv easier and even at one point didnt bother with pc for a hour and just laid back.

I still went to bed late at 4am but nroamlly its scattered as late as 8am though most nights around 4-5am, right now I feel like before my depresion i.e I now feel tired and want to go to bed, this morning woke up after just over 8 hours sleep and jumped out of bed, sleep was less disturbed though I woke up when I did I felt like I should stay awake etc.

I dont feel any mentally different just the physical is making the psychological "easier"

Just wanting some more info on the effects or people with experiences with 5HTP.

Hello

Im currently on 150mg 5htp for my severe depression. The only side effects ive experienced are mild headache for 3 days whilst my brain gets used

to the meds. They are non addictive but i find taking them in the week helps with my depression and sleep. i have to take taurine 1g as well at night for anxiety related sleep loss.

What brand of 5htp did you take? i find the vitamin research products brand to be the best with me.

Alexis

I've found 5htp to be fantastic. I had to stop taking SSRIs due to the side effects, but the 5htp has been fine. Its effects don't wear off either. I've been taking it for 3 years now.

I use the Serotone brand. 100mg each night.

I've found 5htp to be fantastic. I had to stop taking SSRIs due to the side effects, but the 5htp has been fine. Its effects don't wear off either. I've been taking it for 3 years now.

I use the Serotone brand. 100mg each night.

Where did you get this brand of 5htp? i might switch when my existing supply runs out.

Alexis