Sign in to follow this  
Paula

What the chuff does this mean

I downloaded updates from windows.It flashed on my screen updates available click here type of thing.

Now every time i switch on the pc i get a message saying

"You may be a victim of softwear counterfittin" Then a big microsoft box thingy flashes up saying the windows programme dyou are running is not genuine to validate press this.I press then it say we cant validate to purchase a validation licence press ........... and so on.

How do i get shut of this.What is it.Is it some sort of con from microsoft.

I run windows XP and AOL is my internet provider.

As yer can tell from me language i aint a bloomeing clue about pc so try not to bamboozle me with techno speak basically im thick so use appropriate language.Ta.

If all else fails ill contact me pc dr.he sometimes gives advice over the phone.

Ta.

bloomeing miricle ive sorted it.

i reset me computer to an earlier time thingy and its gone now.Im amazed.So basically id better not download updates.

god knows its a mystery.

Hi Paula.

From experience you are better off downloading any updates direct from the microsoft site, as apposed to following the advice of a pop up window (which is 'apparently' from microsoft) We also learnt the hard way. Now if we get a pop up window telling us about updates, we immedietly shut the window and go to the microsoft site and do it from there.

shaz

If i ever have any windows updates that need installing i get a notification bubble at the bottom right of the screen,much the same as when i connect to the internet,there are malicious pop-ups that look very convincing and microsoft like,you have to be extremely careful what you click on.

Hi Paula -

may sound a silly question, but are you running a valid copy of XP? If it's just ghosted from another PC or installed from a mates copy then updating would be a problem because it's not licensed...

If it is a personally registered version, then the pop up might have been from a 'phishing' site or some such... Did they ask you for any personal info like credit card details? Judging from the 'to purchase' message, they did... If you have filled in these details and submitted them you MAY have given your details to someone iffy (it sounds a bit odd that Microsoft would offer to 'sell' you a license for a counterfeit product without wanting to know details of how you obtained that counterfeit product?)...

If you downloaded any spyware/malaware during the process, system restore won't have got rid of the programmes, it'll just stop them from running at startup (probably)... if you haven't got any spyware detection tools, i'd suggest you download SPYBOT ( a well established and 'safe' freeware programme) and give it a run... make sure you download from a decent site though, like CNET, Tucows or (I think it's) 'safer networking who are the main download site in europe... If you search for spybot -you should find a link...

Hope that's helpful,

Best

BD

Ta

I bought my pc 3 years ago from a repatable dealer so i didnt get xp from a mate type of thing.

i also run anti virus and spy wear.

The popup didnt come from the internet but appeared as a bubble on the bottom of the desk top saying updates available.I wasnt asked for any personal information and didnt give any.

Last time i installed updates form windows againe it appeared in the same way it stopped me from connecting to the internet id to get a bloke round to sort it out.

Anyhows ta its all gone now and i didnt give no info as i thought its a bloomeing con job straight away when i realised it was directing me to a sight to buy something.

Ta for yer help.

Ps you all sound right knoledgable about stuff like this.When i was at school and it aint that long ago (Well 20 Years) they said dont bother learning about computers coz itll never catch on !!!!!!!!! So i didnt.I switch on surf the internet and leave the rest to me daughter.Sometimes i do the ultimate no no and just pull out the plug if it all goes wrong.The pc bloke has a fit. :P

Hi paula -

Given the description above, it sounds possible that you've got a genuine update alert... best way is to log onto windows update directly (you'll probably have a link in the top section of your start menu) and take it from there...

What might have happened is that your registration has either been invalidated by hardware upgrades (A feature of XP- if you upgrade i.e. soundcards/graphics cards or add new PCI cards (like tv tuners etc) or CD burners you can only do about 4 upgrades before needing to re-register), or possibly the 'product key' in your system files has been corrupted (maybe a computer crash or freeze and reboot, or previous virus infection?)...

Worth checking out, 'cos security updates ARE worth having if they're genuine - but you're absolutely right that Microsoft wouldn't be asking for personal details like credit card stuff, or asking you to pay for a new update validation...

Hope that's helpful

BD :D

:blink::blink:

hey

soundcards ,graphic,tuners and burners :(

I aint a bloomeing clue what yer going on about but it sounds right good stuff.

Like i said i switch on ,a switch of and when all failes i pull the plug and swear.Its called computer abuse.

Worst updates are from bloomeing AOL themselves they always crash yer bloomeing pc.Ive said next time it all goes ###### t!ts up im just gonna buy a new pc coz itll be cheaper than getting the pc dr out.Last time he was here he stayed for ###### houres rambling on in techno jargan.And supping tea.Me and me hubby aint a clue what he was banging on about.

Turned out he lived alone and could stay all ###### night.I lost the will to live.I said to him were nobbet paying for one hour no matter how long yer pitched up.He were happy with this apparently he fealt right at home.I missed Emmerdale and Corrie i wasnt happy. :(

Edited by Paula

It was a genuine windows update. I know this because it asked me to download the same one not long ago, which I politely declined.. mainly because I'm fully aware of the fact my copy of XP has a questionable origin.

Basically it's a way for Microsoft to catch out the people unaware that they have unlicensed copie,s and the kids who are really bad at running pirated systems.

The fact it's telling people with legitimate copies that they're unlicensed doesn't surprise me in the least, sadly.

So typical microsoft stuff then hey.

The pc dr told me that micorosoft deliberatly make it so youre computer cocks up and then you can only remedy it by purchaseing something they and only they sell.

:(

:D Paula..another technophobe.....oh good..glad I'm not the only one....my pc man is great....he thinks I'm crazy....but he fixes everything I can't do.

(ps I had to call him out once when I first had a computer 'cos I kept turning it off with just the button, and eventually it went into safety mode....he had to show me how to go through the start menu :lol::lol: )

s

xxx

Edited by Sallya

Sallya

Im hopeless me at the pc.

cant even follow those pc for dummies books

And when folks start banging on in techno garble its like eh what yer saying.

How come no matter how many times you say "i dont understand" does it still not register and they still carry on talking about megas and bites or whatever.

its a whole new world full of folks talking in a weird language.

I downloaded updates from windows.It flashed on my screen updates available click here type of thing.

Now every time i switch on the pc i get a message saying

"You may be a victim of softwear counterfittin" Then a big microsoft box thingy flashes up saying the windows programme dyou are running is not genuine to validate press this.I press then it say we cant validate to purchase a validation licence press ........... and so on.

How do i get shut of this.What is it.Is it some sort of con from microsoft.

I run windows XP and AOL is my internet provider.

As yer can tell from me language i aint a bloomeing clue about pc so try not to bamboozle me with techno speak basically im thick so use appropriate language.Ta.

If all else fails ill contact me pc dr.he sometimes gives advice over the phone.

Ta.

Paula

In addition to the earlier posts you can go to the Microsoft website and check whether your copy of Windows XP is a legal copy at :-

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/WhyValidate.aspx

In fairness to Microsoft (and I do not usually stick up for them !!!) they are trying to cut down on software counterfeiting which costs the industry Billions of pounds a year and ultimately means we all end up paying for this by way of increased software costs.

Anyway I hope I have not started a big debate on the subject :lol:

Regards

Lufty