Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Help with grants for extensions

My quess is its the one from social services to adapt a home for a disabled persons use. The adaptions tend to be quite specifically aimmed at physical rather than learning disabilities though and the grant (were I live) needs the OT and Physio to rubber stamp the application.

You also need to be below a certain level of income this varies slightly from council to council.

We had to pay for everything.

Hi,

Think you may be talking about the Disabled Facilities Grant. It was announced last year that the means test was to be abolished, for grants up to ?25 K. You will need to contact Social Services to begin the process.

Try the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign website.....www.muscular-dystrophy.org It has lots of advice about who you can contact for various grants for children who have a disability, and also goes into more specific detail about the DFG.

Debs x

Edited by Bagpuss

After taking a look it is the Disabled Facilities Grant. It's not for me but a friend who has a boy with Dyspraxia, Aspergers and ADHD, he shares a small bedroom with his younger brother and it's not ideal, no space of his own, it was just something I'd heard of and couldn't remember where, thought it may be worth them applying. You know you never know until you try :D

Thanks for the info, I'll pass it on.

Hi

Don't know if eveyone has had the same hassle as me.We applied to the OT for the grand and she came out forms to fill in etc ..... then she put us in touch with the Child Diability services who sent a social worker more forms to fill in.Then the OT rung to say she needed back up evidence and told us Clinical Physcologist would be coming more forms.Any way still not heard anything but this just could be because we wanted the room because Char doesn't sleep and keeps the whole house awake it probably isn't seen as prority.We applied for a bedroom extention don't hold out much hope.

Lisa x

Lisa,

I know people with MD who have applied for grant and it has taken years to actually get anything done :( Very long process in some cases unfortunately. Hope you hear something soon.

Debs x

The time scale for us was.

December 2004 - saw OT who told us although she could see a room was needed however as there was limited funds we were unlikely to get grant as our son is not physically disabled. Half-hearted letter sent to grants people anyway.

January - grant immediately refused unless we can provide more information.

- letter received from CAFTs stating urgency on safety issue because of meltdowns.

- visit from grants department to see for themselves why it should be a mandatory grant. Saw the effects of son's AS on the family as son happily whizzed around the house on a scooter and he saw the medical reports. Moved to mandatory grant immediatly on safety issues ( he shared a room with sibling and had frequent meltdowns as he had no space of his own). We also explained why we couldn't pay for it ourselves, drop in income due to care needs.

February - visit from department that was taking over the build of the extension ( these people were heaven sent as we only had to sign a couple of forms they did everything else for us.

August 2005 - room started to be built

October 2005 - son moved in Hurray!!!

So in all it was about a year which is what we were told in the first place.

Good luck to anyone wishing to apply and I would say don't be put off if it appears unlikely in the first place, often it is because of a real lack of understanding as to what it can be like for children with Autism and their families. We were lucky enough to have a grants department willing to listen.

Denise 2