annie

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ re: medication

The Forum Moderators advise members not to give specific advice regarding medication and treatment.

We recommend that any member having concerns should seek professional advice.

Regards,

The Moderators

:notworthy:

Question - By treatemnt, do you mean professionals like doctors, SALT, psychs etc or do you mean medical (prescription/over counter) meds??

Hi Tylers mum,

Thanks for asking that.

We certainly don't want to stop people talking about their own experiences regarding treatment and meds. In posting this 'warning' we were thinking along the lines of members suggesting particular drugs, change of dosage etc., where people ought to be consulting their doctor rather than just following the advice they read here. Obviously in the vast majority of cases common sense prevails and people do seek medical advice when this is appropriate, but considering the large numbers visiting the forum, we have to have our eye on the worst case scenario - where someone perhaps acts on advice given here without checking it out first. Where meds are concerned, this could obviously be dangerous.

Hope that clarifies things,

Kathryn :)

Edited by Kathryn

Sorry to be pedantic but we have a whole topic devoted to medications etc.

What sort of advice are we not meant to give? Can we, for instance, say we advise people to see their GP but not suggest using prescription drugs, can we still advise over the counter meds?

Oops - posted at the same time as Kathryn so this probably doesn't matter now!

Edited by DaisyProudfoot

Daisy,

I think we were posting at the same time - I hope my post answers your question.

K

Thanks for that Kathryn and I totally 110% agree with you.

I would never change amounts of meds given to my child just by having read to do so here. He an't on any meds right now but if he was, then I'd certainly be going with the doc on that and not recommendations. KWIM!

Thanks for clarifying and once again, I agree wholeheartedly.

The Forum Moderators advise members not to give specific advice regarding medication and treatment.

We recommend that any member having concerns should seek professional advice.

Regards,

The Moderators

This stance concerns me, to the highest degree. Most GP's have no meaningful knowledge of ASD, and I have first hand experience of GP's dismissing autistic traits, even when they cause significant problems. Despite the new autism specific legislation, there is still a void.

My point is that at the moment 'professional advice' on autism is of no use, or worse, and even the act of attempting to seek it can cause it's own problems. As an example, look at the definition of autism on the NHS Direct website.

Unfortunately, this kind of forum can be the only point of information or validation for those seeking help.

This stance may be of benefit to the providers of the forum service, legally speaking, but it is important to users.

This stance concerns me, to the highest degree. Most GP's have no meaningful knowledge of ASD, and I have first hand experience of GP's dismissing autistic traits, even when they cause significant problems. Despite the new autism specific legislation, there is still a void.

My point is that at the moment 'professional advice' on autism is of no use, or worse, and even the act of attempting to seek it can cause it's own problems. As an example, look at the definition of autism on the NHS Direct website.

Unfortunately, this kind of forum can be the only point of information or validation for those seeking help.

This stance may be of benefit to the providers of the forum service, legally speaking, but it is important to users.

Legal issues are a very real factor as it's important to stay on the right side of the law if the forum is to remain operational as a source of support.

Without a medical degree and access to your medical records, I'm afraid forum members are not qualified to offer advice on medications.

I'm sorry if you remain concerned, but this rule is non-negotiable.

I think the MODS are stating this to cover any possible come back, claims for negligence etc.

I don't think they are asking anyone to change what they say, just asking people to use common sense and not do things "because XXX on the forum said it would work"

This forum is for help and support.

Obviously the wide nature of ASD/autisim/aspergers symptoms makes it extremely dangerous to reccommend /advise on medication BUT THE SIMPLE TRUTH IS THE NHS ARE MOSTLY RUBBISH AT UNDERSTANDING ASD'S.They spend more money and energy on gastric bands and their understanding of ASD's is not even worthy of a basic GCSE grade.Many people with ASD's do have a much better understanding of the subject ,particulary if they are parents,and good ones at that.Due do the ignorance of the NHS about the subject you'd have a slightly lower chance of diagnosis if you went to a vet.BUT ADVICE ON MEDICATION CAN BE DANGEROUS!!!!

If I were to reccommend any medication for HFA ASD it would be candied Angelica ,as used on cake decoration ,try it!It takes the edge off anxiety for me however absurd that sounds,followed in second place by alchohol,although I'd not reccommend this to anyone

Edited by philipo

As a parent I know if I read about a treatment, conventional or unconventional that worked for someone else I would be tempted to try it on my son, as we all want to something to work and take away the stress and anxiety of seeing our children struggle each and every day with the basics of life...I also understand that each and every child is different, there level of Autism or any other challenge they face comes with a variety of different symptoms...A child could have an underlying problem that has not been picked up or he/she may have allergic raections to using treatments and methods that have been used by others and become the cause of medical emergancies....So I do understand the point of view of the moderators and would be very cautious with giving advice in regards to meds...but than again as adults, there is no harm in discussing what we have tried and how it worked or not worked, in the end one must be responsible for ones own choices and not create a situation were anyone would be held liable for our own misuse of general information... Great thread:)!

I've seen other forums with this rule, I'm sure we can suggest 'have you tried x medication?' but avoid mentioning which doses or adjusting without GPs advice. I react paradoxically to meds and some meds weren't worth the side effects so I tried something different.

The best medication for me has been a change in what I put in my body or on my skin, ie an environmental change. I have found many aspects of my life improve by going gluten and dairy free including subsequent HMS/EDS/fibro diagnoses which without pain perception I would have been unable to express. I really dont understand why there was a publicity stunt at the Olympics to save the NHS, I feel it is a complete mess especially when you're unable to get diagnosed with anything primary, secondary or feel ignored by doctors.

Then there is the bigger picture and how society treats people it considers to be naughty or different.

i think it very dangerous to recommend any medical treatment to anyone on here.This is a anonnymous place and any medication ,should be advised

by a qualified doctor on individuals personel need through face to face contact.