Sign in to follow this  
BuntyB

Websites using frontpage

Hi,

I am having a problem with my website. I have had the settings okay to create the website in the first place, but am having problems now I am trying to alter something. It asks me if I want to overwrite files and when I confirm, it tells me that it 'could not find web server at port 80' and to check that the name and settings are valid. Anybody know what I might have done wrong?

Have you tried the Freewebs help files at http://freewebs.info?

If you're using a free account there there seems to beall kinds of restrictions you may have run up against.

You might want to consider getting is hosted with a different paid-for provide that gets rid of banner ads etc. It costs from around ?2.50 a month whoever you choose, but it makes the whole creating/uploading/displaying process more straightforward.

You could also register your own domain for around ?6 a year which would make your site easier to navigate to.

Simon

Don't use Frontpage. It produces lousy code that won't work with many servers and browsers.

Talk to Nemo about Com having to use Frontpage at school to design websites that won't work on his computer at home.

Perhaps I have confused you by referring to 'my website'. I have a link to a freewebs site on my signiture, but this isn't the one i am referring to!

I have webspace with my ISP, Firefly, and it has my own domain name and fp extentions.

I see now!

First thing to ckeck is the FTP settings, check on your hosting providers website to see if you need to supply a port number. If you have already supplied one, try leaving it blank.

Simon

Don't use Frontpage. It produces lousy code that won't work with many servers and browsers.

Talk to Nemo about Com having to use Frontpage at school to design websites that won't work on his computer at home.

Using Frontpage to make a website is like using a German to Spanish dictionary to produce a French essay! :angry: There are various universally-agreed languages for websites (html, xml, etc); Frontpage doesn't use any of them, it uses its own! Which is why the file sizes are larger, the pages load slower and they only work if you're running the right version of Windows. I've been having to rewrite Frontpage sites that clients have set up themselves for ten years now, so I shouldn't complain as it does bring in the money, but even so... :wallbash:

There are dozens of Freeware and Shareware web design packages (try http://www.tucows.com) that do work and produce code that is harder to hack, too.

However, it sounds as if either your site has been moved to a different server or that the settings on your computer have got 'lost'. If you are sure your settings are right, contact admin at Firefly to see if they can help.

good luck

nemo

There are times when I wonder how many computer technicians and IT types will be out of work if it wasn't for all the bugs and defects of M$ software.

There are times when I wonder how many computer technicians and IT types will be out of work if it wasn't for all the bugs and defects of M$ software.

Ah, but how many of said techies have had to go on M$ accredited courses to learn how to fix M$ problems? Heads they win, tails they win :shame: .