Sign in to follow this  
sue

Holistic therapies

I am mature student studying holistic therapies. I'm realy intersted in treating autistic people, especially children, with reflexology, or indian head massage, or aromatherapy.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of how effective this can be? Has anyone had one of these treatments and would like to tell me something about their experience?

i would like this information for a project I am doing and to develop my own skills.

Thanks for your replies

Sue

Hi Sue!

I know many people have found holistic therapies useful in limiting some behaviours. We tried craniosacral therapy with Caghal but he protested loudly after a couple of minutes, he couldn't take the poor woman touching his head any longer. She was actually v. disappointed as she felt he would have benefitted from it (mind you, her fees were not exactly minimal, vested interests could have been in play but I think not, on the whole!!)but she decided to find out about training up on this method with similar conditions. I no longer have her contact details, sadly but I found her through the yellow pages. Hope this is of use!!

Esther

Hi Sue,

I am an aromatherapist and massage therapist. I teach parents and carers of children with special needs and disabilities to massage their children including ASD.

There does seem to be changes in attention, improvements in communication and speech and lowered anxiety levels. Research is being carried out at the touch Research Institute in Miami. The book Touch Therapy by Tiffany Field is about their research. Coventry University is also involved in research in this country. I am a therapist involved in their research, and currently working with Children diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. 1 or 2 of them have ASD traits.

Has anyone been using massage with their child with ASD? I'm interested to know what benefits you notice.

Jan

hiya!

i dont think that i could call it massage but when tricky is going into meltdown,(if i catch him early enough!)

i can calm him by rubbing his back! he loves it, it relaxing him like a purring kitten! mind you he wouldnt stand for having his head or any other part of his body touched in any way but now he is started to get the jist of it and will say to me "rub back mummy im feeling jigglywirey!" of course it doesnt stop all of his melting moments but just one less a day makes me a happy parent! :D

HI,

My son often asks for a back massage when he is feeling "jiggleywirey" too. Sometimes I use baby oil, but either way he loves it and it definately calms him down.

(What a brilliant phrase! My son has some great homemade phrases too. My fav. is 'fiddlebobs' for his sisters hair elastics!!)

Jester has remembered that when he taught in an Autistic unit, last "lesson" on a Friday was given over to foot massage with plain oils/lotions but also 'chill-out' music and incense. He says the children loved it.

Bid :wacko:

I am mature student studying holistic therapies. I'm realy intersted in treating autistic people, especially children, with reflexology, or indian head massage, or aromatherapy.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of how effective this can be?  Has anyone had one of these treatments and would like to tell me something about their experience?

i would like this information for a project I am doing and to develop my own skills.

Thanks for your replies

Sue

I've had an Indian head massage and was warned by the therapist before treatment that the ailments I suffer from would manifest themselves. Well talk about being on a high >:D<<'> during the treatment I let myself go to such an extent that I actually fell asleep. :thumbs: Anyway for the following two days all of my angst just disappeared and I felt totally refreshed but sadly it resurfaced with a vengence!

Yes I'd definately go again inspite of the negative experience but for now restricted finances prevent me having a course of treatments.

Tim

Hi Tim,

What oils do you like to use? I omitted to mention the ess oils because I cant use them in the research work!

Some people with ASD can be very sensitive to the aromas. my son doesnt like me to use them on him. I am always careful to check whether people like the smells beforehand. Some floral waters being very gentle, I've found successful. One person with ASD and SLD that I work with responds very well to Neroli and rose floral waters sprayed on the wrist.

My son finds foot massage while watching TV very calming. When he used to let me massage his back he wanted the pressure to be so firm it made my wrists ache!

Adding to the list of phrases, my son's favourite one when he was 5 or 6 when he complained he couldnt get a signal on TV was "it's dizzing with dots'!

Jan

Hi Jan,

Lavender is a big mood saver in this house aside from its usual aid for sleep problems also Lemongrass I find very relaxing. Plus we tend to drift into a restful sleep with an unscented foot massage.

We've started looking into herbalism quite deeply with a view to a possible business venture provided we can successfully get a grant otherwise its likely to be a very slow process.

Tim