Sign in to follow this  
nellie

Recommended book.

I would like to recommend the following book.

Autism Spectrum Disorders The Complete Guide by Chantal Sicile-Kira

Although an excellent book for anyone touched by ASD, I think it is particularly good for parents of children newly diagnosed with ASD.

You can read my review of this book on Amazon, dated November 18, 2003,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...9608207-9427839

Nellie.

Hi nellie i read this book cover to cover after oliver got his diagnosis last november. I found it brilliant and agree that it's a very user friendly text for parents of a newly diagnosed child. I've read it again since and it's even better second time around once the initial panic has worn off a bit

nel x

Nellie,

I have read this book, and there is certainly loads of excellent stuff in there.

But what did you think about the author's repeated comment that some children are 'cured' or 'recover' from autism?

Personally this worried me.

Interested to hear your views...

Bid :wacko:

Bid

My personal opinion is that someone is born autistic and remains autistic, they may be able to overcome some 'difficulties' but their difference remains.

I don't know if you have read Donna Williams books, they make interesting reading. This is a link to her website for anyone interested.

http://www.donna.inuk.com/

Hi everyone :D

Just ordered ASD The complete guide by Chantal at Amazon as nellie recommended it. Iv'e also ordered Alternative treatments for children within the autistic spectrum, let you know how i get on with it. Hope its not got 100's of pages as i'm a short story person cant seem to get into a book (i will try).

Take care

Amandaxxx >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hi All

This is the first book that i read when Samuel was diagnosed and I found it really good

Would recommend it to everyone to read - very easy to understand & not to wordy!

If anyone has any other good suggestions for books please let me know!

thanks

Nikki

Hi everyone,

Nikki, i have read a good one lately, its called The out of sync child by Carol Stock Kranowitz. It explains sensory integration Dysfunction really well and gives examples of how different children react with and without sensory issues. It helped me, i knew this is what Lewis had along with his AS but i was kind of clueless about why. Theres a follow up book to that too, The out of Sync child has fun. Great too to help with great de-sensitising fun games. I got both from Amazon as they're American it's not always easy to find in the shops here. Hope that helps, i have a couple of others but haven't had the time to read them yet :oops: Will let you know when i do.

Kirstie.x