Sign in to follow this  
dooday24

NIGHT WETTING HELP

>:D<<'> HI CAN ANYONE HELP AM HAVING TROUBLE AT NIGHT WITH REECE HE IS WETTING ALOT THE GP SAID TO TRY PULLUPS :D BUT EVEN IF IM LUCKY ENOUGH TO BRIBE HIM TO WEAR THEM I GO IN HALF AN HR LATER LATER AND THEY ARE NICELY FOLDED AT THE END OF THE BED :D I DO LIFT HIM OUT 4 A WEE AT NIGHT BUT CAN STILL HAV 3 OR 4 WET BEDS PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE :pray::pray:

How old is Reece? I had this problem with DS2 until he was 7. We felt we had to sort him as he was going to board at choir school (not needed as school was brill). I was given the name of a person who worked on a voluntary basis. He was based in Oxford - but I can't remember his name. His clinic was for all ages as Andrew was easily the youngest there. Perhaps you would like to PM me - I think this is possible from this site - as I will be able to contact someone to remind me of his name. Andrew was successfully treated but it may have been the right time for it to happen .

Yoyo

dooday, there isn't a great deal you can do.

My 9 year old is still in bed pants and I have no intention of letting him stop wearing them until he's consistantly dry.

A child only becomes dry at night when the neurological connection is made in the brain.

Some people advocate reducing drinks for a couple of hours before bed time but I don't subscribe to this idea. I find it quite disturbing the thought of preventing a child from alleviating their thirst. You could though only offer water after say 6pm which will do away with the drinks for pleasure like juice etc.

After 3 years of lifting my dd over to the toilet before I went to bed (and nearly breaking my back in the process) I realise that this doesn't work either!!! She still wet the bed no matter how little she drank or how often she was lifted over.

Your child seems to do lots of wees at night, how old is he??

The reason I'm asking is that some medical conditions can cause someone to wee alot, though it's unlikely this will be the cause.

The best thing to do is to protect the mattress (if he won't wear bed pants) and go with the flow (no pun intended!). They do grow out of it eventually. My dd was nearly 12 before she stopped!!!! and she's NT.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

>:D<<'> HI CAN ANYONE HELP AM HAVING TROUBLE AT NIGHT WITH REECE HE IS WETTING ALOT THE GP SAID TO TRY PULLUPS :D BUT EVEN IF IM LUCKY ENOUGH TO BRIBE HIM TO WEAR THEM I GO IN HALF AN HR LATER LATER AND THEY ARE NICELY FOLDED AT THE END OF THE BED :D I DO LIFT HIM OUT 4 A WEE AT NIGHT BUT CAN STILL HAV 3 OR 4 WET BEDS PLEASE HELP IM DESPERATE :pray::pray:

Dooday,

Please forgive my incompetence but I don't know how to reply to you via the personal assistant. Reece is still quite young - my DD and DS 2 were in nappies at night until they were 6 and 7 respectively. I only worried about Andy as he was so desperate to sing and it meant full boarding. DS 1 was dry at night when he was 4 and occasionally wet the bed until he was 10. Like Lauren I didn't let them drink anything other than water prior to bed time. Do please tell me how I can give you a useful reply.

Yoyo

My son still wets the bed at the age of 12, he did get refered to the enuresis clinic and given a alarm which he sleeps thru but after 2 mattress i use the bed mats that you can get from most supermarkets, they are made by pampers and are a life saver for me!!!!!!

I used those bed mats too, they're great but expensive if you're using that many

one of Dot's friends uses a special washable one that she gets through her clinic - at 10 she wets, wakes, changes the mat and strips, puts everything in a bucket beside the bed and goes back to sleep.

don't know where you'd get these - an internet search or an enquiry at a clinic might work

Zemanski

A cheaper way is to use bin bags. I cut two sides of a big bag to make a rectangle, spread it over the mattress and tuck it under the mattress (I sometimes use 2 bin bags), on top of it I place a big towel and then the sheet. The towel absorbs the urine and prevents it from getting in the duvet. When my son wets the bed I change the bin bags and put a new towel. He used pull ups until he was 7 and since then he has been treated with medication, alarm, charts etc. He doesn't wake up to the alarm, but I do and I change his bedding in the middles of the night if he's wet. His brain is slowly making the connection of being wakened when he wets, so he has been making lots of progress lately. He's 12.

Curra >:D<<'>

Hi The mats Zem' is on about are called Kyle pads the OT can gets then for you or the health visitor or if you are very stuck the doc' can get them.Ours come from the same place as our nappies they are great and machine washable and can go in the tumble drier.

Lisa x

G is 8 and we have used the alarm.

it went really well....but after 3 weeks without the alarm he is wetting again, and doesn't wake up.

he refuses to wear pull ups and i'm thinking of putting the alarm back on him.

he has had a bad week at school with his teacher and i'm wondering if this has set off the wetting again

Get in touch with Occupational Therapists dept and ask them about a 'Kylie sheet'. It is an absorbent liner that goes under a normal bed sheet but soaks up wee - the best bit - they're washable! You'll need two. One in the wash/ready to use and the one in use. Won't stop the problem but helps with dealing with the consequences.

thank you eveyone i didnt know u can get kyles through your gp or health visitor i brought one but it cost me ?20 and isnt that big so he still wets round it i will see about them through my gp thanx again

my son is 12 and on desmopressin for night wetting! he still occasionally wets but not even once a month now.. it's been a huge help! our pediatrician prescribed it for him! and now sometimes in the night he even gets up all by himself and goes to the bathroom!!

If you can sew Kylies can be made.

You will need:

1 double bed sheet cut into 4

1 plastic flat sheet (from mothercare or similar) the old fashioned sort also cut into 4

4 old towels

4 pieces of cotton jersey material (like tshirting)

Make sure the piece of cotton sheet is about 3ft wide and long enough to tuck in the sides of the bed

Layer the towels across the sheet and put the jersey cloth on top

Stitch through the layers making sure the thick layers cover the width of the bed and there are just single layers of cotton sheet that will fold in over the mattress

Hey presto a Kylie sheet of your very own!

Place over the sheet on your child's bed and then when wet can be whipped off and hopefully will not spread onto the bed itself. These can be made bigger if the child is a great wriggler and mover, can be boil washed, will hopefully save you some washing and that endless changing of the whole bed at 2.00am!

Two will probably not be enough 4 is better! Hope this helps. it is hard and does seem endless but will stop when the child is ready for it. Just try to make your own life easier in the meantime.

Other tip is to use a cheapo sleeping bag instead of a duvet, unzipped they fit into a single duvet cover and can fit easily into a washing machine, because they are nylon based dry really quickly as well. Argos do cheap ones for about ?5 or ?6 pounds. Love Kat