keyholekate

GCSE Options

Hi! GCSE Options. Sean is soon to go to year 10. Hates school . He can't see the point of it as he learns nothing. He is currently on reduced timetable i.e. misses last lesson every day. He is expected to complete 11 GCSE's. When I said that I think that is unlikely I was informed that even lower ability children do a full curriculum of GCSE's. I suggested that Sean do the 3 core subjects and one of his options(drama or art) Ohhhh! well that didn't go down too well. Am I asking too much? (He has High Functioning Autism?Aspergers not statemented) Thanks had to get that off my chest. This is my first message so bear with me . Regards Keyholekate. x

Edited by keyholekate

Hi Keyholekate,

Welcome to the forum. Hope you stick with us.

In answer to your question. Yes, it is possible for Sean to do a reduced number of GCSEs and just stick to the core curriculum subjects of Maths, English and Science, ICT adding in one or more options if desired. For some children, at some schools, it's even possible to follow a vocational course and not take the National Curriculum or GCSEs at all (this is currently being tried at my son's school.) They also need to study PE, Citizenship and RE but can be disapplied from these. Other subjects are offered on a take it if you want basis. However, without a statement ,all this is subject to negotiation with the school and at the discretion of the Headmaster. If they won't listen to you and your concerns, would they listen if your son's Consultant if they were to write requesting a reduced GCSE syllabus and listing the medical reasons why this would be desirable?

Have a look at these links:-

Key Stage 4

Disapplication

Edited by Tez

Tez

Some good information. I will follow up on the links you gave me. I just needed to know that some of the suggestions I make are not totally unreasonable regarding schooling because at the moment all Sean's looking forward to is June 2008!

Thanks for taking the time.

Hi! GCSE Options. Sean is soon to go to year 10. Hates school . He can't see the point of it as he learns nothing. He is currently on reduced timetable i.e. misses last lesson every day. He is expected to complete 11 GCSE's. When I said that I think that is unlikely I was informed that even lower ability children do a full curriculum of GCSE's. I suggested that Sean do the 3 core subjects and one of his options(drama or art) Ohhhh! well that didn't go down too well. Am I asking too much? (He has High Functioning Autism?Aspergers not statemented) Thanks had to get that off my chest. This is my first message so bear with me . Regards Keyholekate. x

My son D(14yrs)(Aspergers & ADHD) feels exactly the same way about High School, he excels in the subjects he has a great interest in but feels the rest are a waste of time as he is learning nothing, I encourage him and praise him about such. I don't think think your asking too much you only want the best for your son and are aware of what he can cope with, the school my son attends have stated that he has to do the full curriculum.

I do fully understand your concerns, keep smiling.

Eve :)

Luke Jackson has mentioned that he doesn't know why GCSE options are called options because most subjects are compulsory nowadays. As far as I am aware English, maths, science, and ICT are compulsory. RE isn't compulsory no matter what the schools says because under the 1948 education act there is a facility to exempt kids from taking RE. PE and citizenship are compulsory but not taken for GCSE although a PE GCSE is available as an option. Citizenship is a waste of time as all kids do is watch videos about drugs and discuss political demonstrations about fox hunting.

Most schools expect kids to take a humanity subject, foreign language, technology subject, and an arts subject as well. Sometimes it is possible to take more than one subject in each group.

Tez

Some good information. I will follow up on the links you gave me. I just needed to know that some of the suggestions I make are not totally unreasonable regarding schooling because at the moment all Sean's looking forward to is June 2008!

Thanks for taking the time.

hmmmmm it sort of depends on childs accademic abilty - ive found......though from what ive gleaned - there are loopholes on some subjects, you probably will have to push them tho

u can get child out of a fair few subjects with the right info - tho im cluelss but have read about 'extenuating circumstances - due to sen...' etc

xx pep

Hi Keyholekate,

My daughter is only in year 8 so we haven't quite got there yet - although the CPN has kept telling us to try and keep our daughter hanging on in there (she absolutely hates languages: german & welsh, and she also only goes part-time - mainstream school and PE has already been dropped) as next year she takes her options and can choose to take just the core subjects i.e. maths, english & science plus any subjects she enjoys/is good at. So I assumed she would be able to do this. Will be watching this thread for any advice.

Thanks

Take care,

Jb

Com is already disapplied from History Geography and french. Although he is able and expected to do 10 GCSEs we have managed to arrange for him to do just 7 - the core subjects plus art and IT.

Even the most able child only actually needs 5 good grade GCSEs to go on to A levels and higher

Zemanski