Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

So how do epsom salts work

Thinking it might be worth a try with Logan? Also, if we use them in the bath, Logan and Leona bath together I'm assuming thats still okay in that they aren't harmful at all?

Lynne x

Hi Lynden,

I was once told how Epsom Salts work - something to do with the magnesium in them - but can't remember the details. I do remember being told though that if your child drinks the Epsom Salt infused bath water, they could poo more! (Epsom Salts are apparently good for constipation).

Eva

It doesn't do any harm for an NT person to bath in them - I gave it a go myself, and found that I slept like a log afterwards!

The general idea is to have a vigourous rub down with a flannel before getting into the bath, which makes the skin more receptive to absorb the minerals. Then stick a couple of handfuls of the salts into water that should be as hot as possible for the person. I have read that it is worth going straight to bed after, I guess because it makes you sleepy. A side affect, as mentioned, is that as the minerals are absorbed into the body, you can expect some major bowel movements!

I'm pretty sure Epsom Salts are harmless but you might want to get that checked by a professional! My other son is 2 and he doesn't have a problem with them in the bath water!

Eva

well ive just bought a box

bathed both boys in it tonight,seemed to relax them alot....read some good stuff about them....its the sulphur that is took in through the skin that helps....

going keep at it ...see how it goes...

Most people do see improvement with Epsom salts because the form of sulfur in the Epsom salts is already sulfate and readily available to the body.

What are Epsom salts and how do they work?

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate. Salts are just molecules that form because the parts have opposite electrical charges that bind together. Magnesium has a positive charge. Sulfate has a negative charge, and performs all sorts of unique biological functions. The two elements dissociate in solution (English translation: break apart and separate in liquid). Epsom salts are available at most local grocers or health food stores, or inexpensively in bulk at agricultural supply stores.

The magnesium and sulfate in the salts are absorbed into the body through the skin. Because the sulfur is already in the sulfate form, it does not need to be converted like other forms of sulfur do. Sulfate is thought to circulate in the body up to about nine hours. Any Epsom salts left on the skin may continue to be absorbed as long as it is still on the skin, offering continuous ?timed-released? input into the bloodstream ? like medications given through skin patches. Many people on a typical ?modern? processed diet are very deficient in magnesium as well, which Epsom salts also supply in a highly available form. Main effects of insufficient magnesium are hyperness, irritability, anxiety, and muscle twitching or spasms. So the salts may provide two-way assistance.

50 years ago, before "bubble bath" etc were invented Epsom Salts were known as "Bath Salts" and lots of people added them to the bath water for a more relaxing soak in the bath (magnesium relaxes the muscles).

If you drink them, they will go through you "like a dose of salts" which is where the phrase comes from.

it is wiser to ask for your doctor first just to be on the safe side with regards to allergies or anything else. Epsom salts are great for relieving stress. If i'm not mistaken, magnesium raises the levels of serotonin which is a mood-elevating chemical in the brain.

I started my sons on Epsom salts baths last week. Already my AS son seems calmer. His non-AS brother takes a bath with him and he seems more relaxed as well. I put it about 1 cup of it per bath.

I tried to buy more at a few pharmacies and they no longer stock it! Not even the big B...ts shop near us! I've ordered more via internet.

Theresa