trance

Food Intolerance

Hiya

My daughters are milk protein intolerant and we don't find the diet too bad now. Everything is labeled these days and so its fairly easy to shop. The free from range of bicuits etc is good but the food itself is not really that nice however you will find that the cheaper bisuits often don't have any milk or whey powers etc in them. Bourbons, hobnobs, cheep jaffa cakes and lidl dark chocolate digestives don't have milk in them and there are loads more. Lots of soups contain milk but Big Soup don't and they love them. Our diet is very good and we don't really miss the white sauces etc, cheese is something they do miss though but they love the dairy free cheese and you can buy "melting cheese" too for putting on pizzas - it doesn't really melt but the girls don't seem to mind. Birds Eye chicken pies don't contain milk which is a plus for a quick meal! Soya ice cream and sorbets go down well here and even my son who isn't dairy free loves them and prefers them to the normal ice cream!

I also buy stork pasty marg in a block for making cakes with, and the flavoured soya milks are really nice to drink - one daughter loves the plain stuff and will drink it as it is from a cup but the other can't stand it but will eat it with cereal.

You could make her birthday cake, if she wants chocolate just add some cocoa power to the mix. I sometimes do that and then cover the whole cake with dark cooking chocolate which is nice and dairy free! For their last birthday I did sponge cakes filled with lots of nice strawberry jam and bought ready made soft icing and coloured it pink. You can get lots of different decorations for cakes from the supermarket ready made.

I tend to use normal recipie books and replace the butter etc with the dairy free alternative. I bought some dairy free cook books but have never realy used any of them!

Hope this helps.

Hi Sooze2

I know it may sound daft but can I ask what's the difference between milk protein intolerance, and an intolerance to dairy, or is it the same thing.

I'm new to this as we only got the results back 2 weeks ago whilst on holiday in Turkey, all I can remember the doctor saying was there was to be no dairy allowed in her diet.

Thanks so much for the very helpful information and suggestions about the cheaper biscuits, I shall definitely be stocking up pn them now. I have found the chocolate buttons and little chocolate bars from the free from range quite expensive, not sure whether there are other alternatives or not.

Must be honest i'm not much of a cook, do the cakes mixes contain milk or dairy products, or could I just use one of those and add the icing on top, you mentioned ready made icing, where would I get that in the supermarket is it amongst all the other icing sugars etc. I tend to either shop at asda or sainsbury's for most of my shopping so I hope they sell it.

I have bought a margarine called Pure which is made from sunfower oil, looks quite good to use for everything really.

What difference if any have you seen in your daughter's since they have been dairy free.

Julie

Often the cheapest "Value" spreads are dairy free, and far cheaper then Pure :)

I wouldn't use it in baking though, stick to baking margarine or Stork in the foil wrapper for that (Stork in the tubs does contain dairy . . . or it did last time I checked anyway).

Often the cheapest "Value" spreads are dairy free, and far cheaper then Pure :)

I wouldn't use it in baking though, stick to baking margarine or Stork in the foil wrapper for that (Stork in the tubs does contain dairy . . . or it did last time I checked anyway).

Hi Tally

thanks again for the tips on margarine.

Just an update on the diet situation.

We spoke to the doctor who carried out the tests in Turkey on the phone last night just to confirm what Sian can and cannot have in her diet.

He confirmed that she has a (milk protein intolerance). We asked whether it would be ok to replace dairy with soya products, he did not think this was a good idea to start off with, as he said it may still have some kind of effect on her. I have already given her soya milk, and chocolate made from soya, which she liked, not sure what I shall give her to replace them now.

I also asked whether it was ok to give her food with gluten and casein in them and he said it was fine. Isn't casein the same as most dairy products? this is getting me quite confused now.

I was chatting to a parent the other week in our local park whose son has autism but was on a gluten and casein free diet, his father had said there had been a big change in his behaviour speech etc. I am wondering whether just to try and take this out of her diet too, but to be honest I know I would find it really difficult, as it would involve changing liternally everything she eats at the moment, as we eat a lot of pasta, bread cereals. Apparently it supposed to be in medications as well.

Any advice appreciated.

Julie

Casein is a protein in milk, but milk does contain other proteins. However, casein is the particular protein often associated with autism. Casein can be isolated from the milk and used as an ingredient in foods - you will often see "milk protein" listed on the ingredients, but it does not leave behind a usable product, and you cannot get casein-free milk. The only way to avoid milk proteins would be to use a totally dairy-free diet.

Is it possible that anything is getting lost in translation? It really does sound like the problem he has identified is probably casein.

I think you need to talk to your daughter's GP before making any changes. You might be able to see a dietician. If you decide to go for the gluten/casein free diet, it can be best to cut out only one at a time anyway, so you can see which is having what effect. There ARE gluten-free alternatives, so don't worry about it until you decide to go down that path :)

i have asthma which is usually triggered by dust, stress or certain foods such as coconut and that fake seaweed they put in chinese food. i also throw up if i eat fatty dairy - i can only tolerate small amounts of skimmed milk. i cant eat cream at all but hard yellow cheese is ok. white and soft cheese give me the same problems as cream. i get migraines if i eat mozarella... you get the idea. i also have massive skin allergies, my skin literally blisters and peels off when i touch things - very random things like artificial christmas trees- half the time i dont even know whats caused it, my skin just starts falling off! i'm banned from all vaccines unless i'm in hospital because i had an allergic reaction to a hepatitis B shot am allergic the some antibiotics... and the list keeps growing

does this collection of symptoms ring a bell for anyone? apart from the obvious dairy issue i cant see any proper link to anything, but it seems to big to just be not a real problem.

I think food allergies/ intolerances are becoming far more common. I have IBS and have to really limit bread, wheat, bran or i get severe abdo pain which is quite debilitating. I also suffer from oesophagitis (severe chest pain due to swelling of the oesophagus) this is brought on by eating fatty, spicy , acidic food and I have to eat really healthily all the time if i don,t i am awake all night vomiting in excruciating pain. I take medication all the time for this but still have a flare up at least once a month and almost always have acid indigestion. I have also had to limit alcohol (boo Hoo). I am sure i am intolerant to lots of things as I always feel very tired, headachy, nauseous and just generally unwell most of the time. My GP said it is stress related but a nutritional therapist said it was due to candida overgrowth and put me on a quite restrictive diet with very expensive supplements. Couldn,t afford the supplements long term and found the diet very hard so gave up after a month.

My Mum has multiple allergies to antibiotics and all my children have exzema, M has asthma and Piers is lactose intolerant (although much better than when he was a baby). I blame (and this is just my personal opinion) the increase in additives/ preservatives and just the level of general pollution we are dealing with on a daily basis.

I think your dairy issue may well be different to the other ones. It sounds more like an intolerance than an allergy. If it were an allergy then you wouldn't be able to eat any at all. That doesn't mean it is not serious and real, but it just sounds like a different issue than your allergies and asthma.

I have problems with dairy. I can eat small amounts, but it seems to have a cumulative effect and if I eat too much it causes me to feel depressed and tired, and also causes some gut problems.

I also have an allergy to many antibiotics. In the past it has led to sickness and skin rashes, which was considered part of the illness until it was recognised as a reaction in my teens, and I have opted to take them at times when I feel that the benefits will outweigh the reaction. Since I had an anaphylactic reaction a few years ago, I will no longer take them at all. My dad, who probably also has AS (though does not wish to seek diagnosis) also has an allergy to Penicillin.

The girls aren't lactose intolerant (had a blood test) so the dietician said it is the milk protein that is the problem which includes cassien. People who are lactose intolerant can have goats milk but goats milk contains milk protein so thats out for us too.

I was told there wasn't a blood test that could be done for the milk protein, a freind's daughter had tests which involved pricking the skin recently to see if she was still milk intolerant it also showed up egg allergy too. I may look into that because they refused to do it before but Ive changed doctors so we shall see eh.

Personally if I were you I would go to the gp and tell him you would like all these tests you had done in Turkey confirmed by a doctor here and see if you ca get a referral.

Hi Julie,

Our daughter was put on a dairy free diet from about 6mths old until she was about 5-6yrs. The Paed at the time thought it was casein intolerance and we were referred to the dietician - she gave us a couple of sheets of products that you could buy that were completely dairy free - i.e. which biscuits, chocolate, everyday foods etc which at the time became our 'bible' until we got more knowledgable.

I would think that this is probably common practise for dieticians everywhere - and think if you went to your gp for referral then you would get some good advice and support from a dietician. During these 5yrs she was also put on soya milk (Wysoy) - this was on prescription - althought this was way before all the headlines about soya products in babies/children - we were also told at the time that there wasn't any blood test that could be specific - although the Paed/Dietician did say that there were certain Universities that were carrying out different studies/tests etc that these were not 100% proven (although that could have changed now as she's 15).

When the Paed. initially told us he said that over time her body would become tolerant to it and that we could introduce it into her diet - which he advised to start trying at around 3-4yrs - although she was nearer 6 before she could tolerate it.

Take care,

Jb

Edited by jb1964

Thanks again for your helpful tips.

Not too sure whether I want to put Sian through more blood tests again to be honest, was hard enough getting it done in Turkey, and with the asd, it normally takes a few people to hold her still as she will lash out, and it can be very traumatising for her and everyone else.

Maybe at some stage if there is no difference after cutting out all dairy, then I may ask the GP for a referral.

I found a good website for special occasions, does lovely birthday cakes, so have ordered a banoffee cake for Sian's birthday.

Can anyone confirm whether there is any dairy in soya products, as once again I am being told one thing from one person, and something else from someone else. I thought that soya was made from soya beans?

JB Has your daughter always had seizures? I am starting to wonder whether having a milk protein intolerance has any connection to Sian's epilepsy or not, I have lots of questions for the neurologist next month.

We also had the MRI repeated in Turkey which came back normal. The eeg showed spikes on Sian's right frontal and temporal lobe areas, the neurologist in Turkey diagnosed Benign Rolandic Epilepsy, apparently with this kind of epilepsy most children grow out of the seizures when they reach puberty. We also showed him a video of Sian having a seizure with the left side of her mouth jerking and drooling and this also confirmed the diagnosis.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Soya products are normally an alternative for people who cannot eat dairy, and so they do not contain any dairy. Soya is made from dried, ground soya beans, and then mixed with water. Other ingredients are added to make it taste OK. To be 100% certain, you could check the ingredients.

Some people do have an intolerance to soya as well as milk. This is quite rare in the UK because we do not eat many soya products.

Iwould just go with cutting every dairy product out of the diet completley for a few weeks and then say, on a Monday give a few sips a milk and no other dairy for that week and see what happens. You don't really need the tests unless you are unsure what the alergy is.

I was lucky because mine are identical twins, I gave one a few sips of a milk shake the other wouldn't have any (she hates dairy), the one who drank the shake had diaoreah for over a week and had little spots apear on her face - the other was fine so it was an easy test for us in one way.

Good luck

Both the Glactosemia Society and the Vegan Society produce lists of products that are totally free of milk products.

I use pure veg oil and vegan cake recipes for Sam; avoids the problems that milk and eggs cause him

Wysoy is not great for kids with milk allergy but it is okay for milk intolerance as it still contains some milk proteins that can play hob with a kid with anaphylaxisis. I am pretty sure Heinz Nurture Soya is the only milk protein free formula you can buy without a prescription.

Some soya products contain milk. Those bearing a vegan society mark do not.

Sam had blood tests showing excessivly raised IgE's, his skin was blistered raw and bleeding. He was covered in lumps bumps and was as sick as a dog until every single hint of milk protein was removed form his diet. If Sam had any milk even if it was in washing products it made him ill enough to need a trip to A&E.

The hospital arranged in-patient food challenge tests for each new protein as it was introduced back into his diet. I found that if you do have a child with a serious problem with a food group you get taken seriously.

Please watch out for milk in laundry and washing products if you have a very sensitive child as contact with skin is enough to provoke an allergic response.

I've been noticing that my reaction to wheat and dairy has been getting worse over time, and my IBS has been worse than ever. I've also noticed that when I haven't eaten dairy or wheat for a few days my mood is better and my IBS is non existant. Literally within mintues of eating it, bloating, cramping, headaches, general tiredness, foul mood and really snappy. :sick: I've tried cutting out wheat and dairy before but it is hard getting over the craving phase, for those who have, how did you get through that phase? Do you think I should see my GP about getting tested? I'm sure there are other foods that I react to, but these are the main two. :ph34r:

I've tried cutting out wheat and dairy before but it is hard getting over the craving phase, for those who have, how did you get through that phase?

I have stopped eating wheat. I can eat corn cakes, oat cakes, etc which I like. I haven't had a problem with not eating bread (probably because it does make me feel so awful). You could buy a bread machine and make your own gf bread, which I have been told is nice.

I did try to give up cheese once, and that was harder. It felt like an addiction - I was craving it! I made sure there was no cheese in the house. When I went to my Mum's I had to be very strong-willed! After a month or so, that feeling passed however. I now eat cheese as it did not seem to be that that was affecting me.

They say that it is often the food that you crave that is bad for you.

I would make sure you only have gf and df things in your house. - preferably stuff that tastes nice (you need to experiment a bit to find the better tasting stuff).

I was wondering if an eczema flare up could be related to my food intolerances? The only thing that I could think of that would cause it is that I've been a bit lax with my diet lately and a few bits of gluten and dairy have been slipping back into my diet.. This is the first real flare up I've had in 5 years, I've got increasing amounts of patches behind my ears, hands and elbows. Currently I'm using E45 itchy relief cream that says it is for eczema but it is doing diddly squat for this. I'm using that 3-4 times a day plus a simple aqueous cream as well, hands are the worst and are itchy as heck but parts are starting to crack and am finding it is becoming painful to bend my fingers on my right hand.

My DD is intolerant of dairy. The creams are useless on her. We take the dairy out of her diet and she baths in porridge oats - put quite a big handful or two in an old sock and hang it under the tap whilst the water's running. She finds it very soothing on the itch. Omega 3 capsules help too or evening primrose oil and she also takes dairy-free probiotics from the health food shop for a week and that seems to get her better sooner.

She self monitors her diet, but as she's only nine sometimes she falls victim to peer pressure.

I have battled with eczema all my life.

I really think you should see your GP for the right strength cream to get things under control. In my experience, once things are bad you can't get it under control without the proper prescribed cream. Once it is under control, use the aqueous cream, etc, religiously to keep things in check. I've found that it's easy to become complacent and lax when things aren't too bad, but the emollients really are the basis of long-term control I think.

Dairy is a well-documented trigger for eczema, and so is stress.

Just to be aware...I am actually allergic to E45 and it makes my eczema worse. Another top tip: I get eczema if I wear anything containing wool...so it was logical when a GP pointed out that the moisturiser I was using was making things worse because it contained lanolin! [i just googled, and as I suspected E45 contains lanolin, which is derived from sheeps wool]

Good luck, and I really sympathise (I've had a mysterious huge outbreak on one arm this last week with no identifiable trigger!).

Bid :)

Edited by bid

Thanks, I'll book a drs appointment soon. My skin is pretty fussy about things anyway but it's been a while since I've had anything like this. It could be a number of things I suppose dietary and stress. :unsure:

Hi

I suffer from a combination of ezcema and psoriasis. I've tried lots of creams and even tried acupuncture, etc. Only thing that worked really well was UVB treatment. It's a bit like going to a sunbed (never been myself, but looks the same) for around 12 sessions. Found it cleared things up and gave me a good tan in the process. I should make it clear that this is not a conventional sunbed. It was a local hospital/dermatology department. It's much safer than a sunbed. This is an effective option particularly when ezcema/psoriasis is widespread.

Caroline.

I was wondering if an eczema flare up could be related to my food intolerances?

Yes. And for me, stress is a mega trigger.

Currently I'm using E45 itchy relief cream that says it is for eczema but it is doing diddly squat for this.

Yeugh, horrid stuff - I'm actually sensitive to it (despite all its claims to be dermowhatsit, natural, blahdeblah etc) and it makes my eczema MUCH worse. Would probably be worth you going to the GP, and then you can get the right stuff to get the current flare up under control and potentially lessen or stop future flare-ups. I use a prescribed emollient called DiproBase (need a script for it) three times a day and a steroid cream for flare-ups, it took me ages of trying different combinations but once I got the right ones and got it under control, I feel so much better. Even with mega stress at the moment, I'm only having to deal with two small flare-ups when before they would have been so severe they would have become infected. I also take a strong (again only on prescription) daily anti-histamine which possibly helps.

You can also get products to use in the shower/go in the bath for added relief - but again I would ask the GP for advice.

And, for immediate relief once you have an emollient that works, keep it in the fridge so it is cold when you apply it :thumbs:

After going to my GP about numerous complaints he said he is suspecting coeliac disease. I have excessive tiredness, long term bowl problems, anaemic, eczema and a whole bunch of other symptoms. I'm not looking forward to having to start eating gluten again on a regular basis as I get quite ill when I do :( Anyone been through the testing for coeliac?

I got scared and just promised not to eat gluten anyway. I am eating it again now in small amounts and not having bad problems, so I don't think I can have coeliac disease after all.

You should not have to eat huge amounts of gluten. One slice of bread a day should be adequate to show up on the tests.

If you are diagnosed with coeliac disease you can get gluten free products on prescription.

sorry about your news hope you get sorted soon, there are some nice gluten free products on the market, i have tryed gluten free for health reasons and it can help, just keep speaking to your doctor

My nephew was diagnosed with coeliac disease a couple of years ago and it looks as though my brother (his dad) may have the same condition. He's had to have blood tests to confirm it but he's always struggled with stomach problems, fungal infections and hair loss...shame that the NHS have been peddling every cream and lotion under the sun at him for the past 11 years.

Not only are there more gluten free products on the market now but there are more and more products that are marked 'coeliac friendly'. That said, what my nephew can and can't eat (according to the big book of coeliac foods) is bizarre e.g. he can have chocolate bars but not buttons :huh:

Hope the tests provide some answers one way or another

Chocolate is often sprinkled with flour on the production line to prevent pieces from sticking to each other. Most are now using gluten-free flours for this purpose, but maybe the button-makers are not because they need much larger quantities of flour - larger surface area.

Chocolate is often sprinkled with flour on the production line to prevent pieces from sticking to each other. Most are now using gluten-free flours for this purpose, but maybe the button-makers are not because they need much larger quantities of flour - larger surface area.

I never knew that :notworthy:

It's amazing what you get to know on here ;)

A whole wealth of knowledge that you never knew...or even knew that you needed to know :lol:

Hello Sciencegeek I have just asked if anyone knows about coeliac-could you give me some advice about symptoms please if possible.

My son has had IBS symptoms for as long as I can remember (loose stools, constipation, very windy, pain, feeling sick but not actually being sick, dark under the eyes etc)

any advice appreciated-thanks :thumbs:

There are so many possible symptoms for coeliac disease and it varies enormously between each person. Some people don't notice any symptoms at all! Coeliac disease could possibly cause all those symptoms.

Well when they diagnose IBS they are supposed to rule out other conditions such as coeliac or lactose intolerance. When I was diagnosed with IBS they didn't bother doing that, and IBS medication hasn't really done much for me. The IBS diagnosis was about 5 years ago, and GP thinks that other things should be ruled out first. :unsure:

I would get it checked out purple as if it is coeliac then it can have long term consequences, plus you would know what to do if that were the case.

After going to my GP about numerous complaints he said he is suspecting coeliac disease. I have excessive tiredness, long term bowl problems, anaemic, eczema and a whole bunch of other symptoms. I'm not looking forward to having to start eating gluten again on a regular basis as I get quite ill when I do :( Anyone been through the testing for coeliac?

i hear it runs in families, my cousin from Australia has celiac.

your mate

Alexis

ive got mild eczema behind one ear and on my legs. i had it really bad to begin with but all of a sudden it went away.

ive heard an egg intolerance can cause ezcema as well as lack of fish oils in the diet.

Alexis

Hello All

Just wondered whether anyone else has a child with an intolerance to dairy, and how they have gone about taking dairy out of their diet completely, and how difficult it was for them.

After having blood tests carried out in Turkey last week (where my partner is from) they found that there was 3 x he normal mount of protein in her blood than normal and suggested we cut out dairy completely. He also mentioned that we should see a big change in her behaviour ie it should calm down a lot. Not sure wht to think about that one as she as diagnosed with asd 4 year ago, and with epilepsy around the same time.

Also has anyone heard of PKU (phenylketonuria) not sure if spelt corectly, as this was suggested to me by someone, and seems to relate to a lot of the symptoms my daughter has ie the behaviour problems, epilepsy etc, although the doctor did not mention this in Turkey.

Any advice would be great.

Julie :rolleyes:

i am an aspie and i took dairy out of my diet quite easily. It depends on what your kid currently eats that contains milk?

ive heard of PKU and the best way to treat it is to avoid all aspartame like products. Also other products containing phenalayline (sp?) have to be avoided.

High fat diets (ketogenic) have helped some epileptics.

Alexis

Iwould just go with cutting every dairy product out of the diet completley for a few weeks and then say, on a Monday give a few sips a milk and no other dairy for that week and see what happens. You don't really need the tests unless you are unsure what the alergy is.

I was lucky because mine are identical twins, I gave one a few sips of a milk shake the other wouldn't have any (she hates dairy), the one who drank the shake had diaoreah for over a week and had little spots apear on her face - the other was fine so it was an easy test for us in one way.

Good luck

Personally i would cut out the dairy and see if any of her behavioural problems improve. Also see if your kid seems less full of catarrrh. If her behaviour improves after 4 days then keep it out of her diet.

She could be addicted to milk/gluten or both.

Alexis

Found this after looking at the 'genius bread' site...

how to cook for food allergies

Reading the customer reviews on Amazon it seems like it's pretty comprehensive - doesn't have that many recipes but has a key system for adapting them depending on the allergy (gies) and advice on adapting general recipes. I've ordered a copy (you can get it for a tenner from the other site that rhymes with 'pray' dot com), so will post again when I've had a looksee at it!

L&P

BD :D

Turned up yesterday, and i've got to say I'm very impressed with the layout, etc and the first sections 'general advice'.

there's a flag system next to each recipe highlighting ingredients that fit the most common allergies, and suggestions for alternatives, so if (i.e.) a basic recipe contained dairy, eggs and gluten underneath milk it will list the 'best' non-dairy substitute, under eggs the best substitute depending on the 'role' of egg in the recipe (i.e. binding/emusifier/thickener/glaze) and under gluten the best substitute g/f flour combination.

Not a huge number of recipes, but with the flag system and info you'd be well set to adapt most conventional recipes etc.

We made a treacle tart last night using FF breadcrumbs and a pastry recipe from the book... Garjuss! Tasted 'restaurant' good rather than home-baked or shop-bought good, IYKWIM.

£10.00 well spent, IMO :)

L&P

BD :D