Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • Kris

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   06/04/2017

      Depression, Mental Health and Crisis Support   Depression and other mental health difficulties are common amongst people on the autistic spectrum and their carers.   People who are affected by general mental health difficulties are encouraged to receive and share information, support and advice with other forum members, though it is important to point out that this exchange of information is generally based on personal experience and opinions, and is not a substitute for professional medical help.   There is a list of sources of mental health support here: <a href="http://www.asd-forum.org.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=18801" target="_blank">Mental Health Resources link</a>   People may experience a more serious crisis with their mental health and need urgent medical assistance and advice. However well intentioned, this is not an area of support that the forum can or should be attempting to offer and we would urge members who are feeling at risk of self-harm or suicide to contact either their own GP/health centre, or if out of hours contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647 or to call emergency services 999.   We want to reassure members that they have our full support in offering and seeking advice and information on general mental health issues. Members asking for information in order to help a person in their care are seeking to empower both themselves and those they represent, and we would naturally welcome any such dialogue on the forum.   However, any posts which are deemed to contain inference of personal intent to self-harm and/or suicide will be removed from the forum and that person will be contacted via the pm system with advice on where to seek appropriate help.   In addition to the post being removed, if a forum member is deemed to indicate an immediate risk to themselves, and are unable to be contacted via the pm system, the moderating team will take steps to ensure that person's safety. This may involve breaking previous confidentiality agreements and/or contacting the emergency services on that person's behalf.   Sometimes posts referring to self-harm do not indicate an immediate risk, but they may contain material which others find inappropriate or distressing. This type of post will also be removed from the public forum at the moderator's/administrator's discretion, considering the forum user base as a whole.   If any member receives a PM indicating an immediate risk and is not in a position (or does not want) to intervene, they should forward the PM to the moderating team, who will deal with the disclosure in accordance with the above guidelines.   We trust all members will appreciate the reasoning behind these guidelines, and our intention to urge any member struggling with suicidal feelings to seek and receive approproiate support from trained and experienced professional resources.   The forum guidelines have been updated to reflect the above.   Regards,   The mod/admin team


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Gregarious

  • Rank
    Norfolk Broads
  1. Help! ASD/ADHD? Sound familiar?

    Go back to get another Speech & Language person to assess social and communication skills - preferably a school observation. That's what supported the diagnosis of our 7y old. The diagnosis doesn't change much but it helped me feel bolder about demanding help - without the fear of being labelled paranoid/poor parent/interfering etc etc
  2. Can you find another school? They sound like they are out of their depth - mainstream isn't easy but going somewhere empathetic will help a lot.
  3. Call IPSEA - I'm pretty sure this falls into Illegal Exclusion. They should be able to provide one-to-one support for him until the emergency help comes through to pay for it longer term. It may be he needs support outside class if it is bullying- can they not introduce circle of friends?
  4. Sen schoolwork advice

    Sorry realised I got my he and she mixed up about your daughter- sorry
  5. Sen schoolwork advice

    Well done for pushing to get on the SEN register. (Unfortunately) That's step 1 and you will need to keep pushing. If you can get on an IPSEA foundation law course in person or over the Internet that will help you feel confident when you ask for the school's legal obligations to be fulfilled. In summary once on the SEN register the school is supposed to assess-plan-do-review and record this process in an SEN record. This can also be called a provision map or IEP. It should set out what support is being provided and by who/when/how much. Ideally there are also targets to measure progress against but in practice that seems rare. The school should meet you at least 3 times a year to discuss progress (2 of these meetings could be standard parents evenings) but at least one should be with the SENCO to review and update the SEN Record/Plan. If I were you I'd get a copy of the school SEN policy and find out what they call their record. Then I'd email in and ask for a copy of your son's records (they've got to give you a copy) at which point if they've not prepared one they suddenly will! Once you have the copy you can then email in comments/questions etc and ask about provision for missing items. If homework generally is a problem look on Tony Attwood's site and print off his homework advice. Ask for a dispensation to have no homework. If it's a particular subject ask if they've assessed her for Specific Learning Difficulty SpLD). You mentioned counting issues - have you head of dyscalcula? Generally Keep copies of all the paperwork and detailed notes of your meetings. When you meet the teacher ask about how she is in class. I was always told he was "fine" but uncooperative- but when I saw a form filled in by his teacher I saw he was showing a lot of stress behaviours. So I finally wrote in with all my evidence and said his SEN was in the social and emotional sphere, also that I thought he had the SpLD Dysgraphia and that he was showing signs of stress (long list) so what support were they going to give to mitigate against future mental health problems? That letter has got action! Not sure it's useful action tbh but at least they are now trying. I hope you also get some attention! Good luck PS if the school don't get on with it consider finding a PATOSS assessor through their website who should be able to assess for SpLDs which are often overlooked once a diagnosis of ASD has been given