Would you use a cure for autism?

Would you use a cure for autism?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a cure for autism?

• Yes, for my child
    • No, for my child
    • Yes, for myself
    • No, for myself

In all honesty, I wouldn't. I think if you would have asked me a few years ago, I would have said yes, but I think my personality and the Asperger's are intrinsically linked to each other, and if you take one away, you take the other as well. I can fully understand why someone would want the cure, and take it, but my personal view is that, while I wouldn't be in favour of one for myself, I would fully support anyone who would be in favour of a cure.

I voted no, for myself, because my brain has developed the way it is - and whilst I have difficulties in some aspects of life, I am gifted in others. Yes, I would like to be cured of specific difficulties so that I could achieve more in life - but how would any cure know how to do that, without affecting things I want to keep. The whole problem for me is that any cure would be based around whats 'normal', and the fact is humanity needs a diverse range of people to survive. Difference has to be praised, encouraged, embraced - not wiped out.

I voted no, because it means my son, would not be the person he is.what cure is there, something the Nazis tried I suspect.The best thing for him, is to teach him how to cope with life, and to manage his challenges, that makes life currently difficult for him.

I see the Asperger's as a clinical and disabling condition that is not synonymous with who I am as a person. Therefore;

If a cure meant I would not be anxious all the time, I would accept

If I could make meaningful relationships and friendships, and understand people's intentions, motivations, and feelings, I would accept

If I could live independently without support, secure meaningful employment that matches my intellectual abilities, I would accept

If I could be flexible, spontaneous, and do the things I want to do, without fear, I would accept

If I could eradicate my sensory difficulties with regards to noise and motion, I would accept

If I could regulate my emotions, I would accept

But I would like to keep my curiosity, verbal intelligence, strength of character and conscientiousness. However, I believe these traits are not directly caused by my AS, but would exist anyway. For example, my Grandpa did not have AS, but was a top Professor in English. He was shy, introverted, and bookish, and some of those traits I share, but he could have normal relationships, could travel widely, and could live a full life. There is nothing about the AS itself that I am pleased about, because I see my positives as being a part of my personality, not a part of the AS.

I voted no, because it means my son, would not be the person he is.what cure is there, something the Nazis tried I suspect.The best thing for him, is to teach him how to cope with life, and to manage his challenges, that makes life currently difficult for him.

But if it means he is in constant pain and constantly isolated is that fair to him ? we need to remember as parents we have to have THEIR best interests at heart. E.G. If an non-autistic has issues we readily support help for that, why would we be viewed nazis for wanting the same alleviation for our AS children. I think Oolong explained it more succinctly.

If there was really a cure without destroying myself, I would sell everything I have to get it.

I am a high functioning who has worked for much of my life.

If as I now think this defect is due to a small error in our genetics, and this could be spotted long before birth. Then without doubt it should be prevented. I mean Abortion. Really along with Downs this is a disaster for all concerned. I know many sufferers are delusional due to extent of this fault, no one with this fault can live life without tolerance from others.

Economic reality, means its tough for youngsters who are sufficiently normal and full functioning, with really good university degrees. How really do you expect the world to treat defective youth? Its not just ASD, there are a few other defects roaming about.

ASD well named, Aspergers too the bin. The problems associated with this fault are heavily and painfully shown in the extreme examples, classic Autism. "Higher End Autistics" show similar related problems to a lesser degree.

I am a high functioning who has worked for much of my life.

I'm high functioning too, but that term is so deceptive for in certain key areas of my life I barely function at all. For most of my life I've never worked for pay - the stresses would have been too great in most jobs. I'm just lucky in that my parents were able and willing to support me for all those years. Had my circumstances been different I may well feel more as you do.

Its not just ASD, there are a few other defects roaming about.

I don't see HF ASD as a defect, and I'm beginning to think that having Aspies within any society has evolutionary advantages, and benefits that society in various ways. (Eccentricity of all kinds is healthy for society: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/apr/01/eccentricity-einstein-prince-society I've been called eccentric many times). I also feel that, although categorised as being at one end of the autistic spectrum, AS, at least the female-type (the type I understand best) is not simply an extreme of a continuum of disorders. There comes a point along that continuum when a burden becomes a blessing, and that any real problems associated with it are entirely due to the way the NT world views it and treats those who have it. I've suffered enormously ever since I was four due to this.

The NT world is to blame for my being bullied and victimised, my fear of school, delaying my love of learning, my panic attacks, meltdowns, OCD, C-PTSD. However, it's not to blame for my many sensory issues, my eating disorders, my dyscalculia, dyspraxia and executive dysfunction - all negative traits and neurological - but it's very much to blame for the way it has cavalierly disregarded them.

Nor is it responsible for my 'immature' emotions, my social anxiety, my sense of justice, my honesty, my love of learning, my many interests, my compassion and empathy, my logical-intuitive thinking pattern, my high intelligence, my passion for truth and beauty, my 'unworldliness', etc - all traits which I see as very positive. I wouldn't want trade those in in return for merely being neurotypical. It would be a far too big a price to pay - and besides, why on earth should I? I like being who I am; I just don't like being treated without humanity. Who would?

Edited by Mihaela

I have no clue why this has popped up now, seeing that it's ten years old and all, but since it's here maybe I should give my views on this entire thing.

So the thing with Autism is that it's a hardwired personality type. It's not just a disability (or, in some cases, a form of clarity) but also who we all are. As far as I know, there isn't anything that makes the brain function particularly differently should you happen to have Aspergers (perhaps differently in terms of conditions further up on the spectrum) and therefore, that condition happens to be our very self. I'm not happy to be so very socially anxious, but I am happy to be part of a community that, in many cases, can be far more understanding, intellectual, and generally be more like myself than the neurotypical.

Having said that, I looked at the poll and it happens to be that those with children on the autism spectrum seem to think themselves likely to use a remedy for the condition on their children, whereas those that actually experience it seem to be more than happy to carry on as they always have. Even assuming there's a huge gap in the age of those that voted for themselves versus the age of the children of the parents that voted, I still feel like this is a great display of how those that have the condition consider it perfectly fine, whereas those that happen to be caring or know of somebody with the condition seem to think of it as somewhat damaging or hindering.

Since those with the varying conditions can greatly differ, I can't speak for them all. However, I'm happy to be who I am and I know that many others are the same way out.

Yeah, I thought it was a bit odd that this has come back from the dead as it has. We have a zombie thread! :o Anyway, I thought I'd throw my opinion on the subject into the mix.

I've got to agree that I would not 'cure' myself if I was given the chance. I have seen too much of the bad side of NT life and it disgusts me. I would rather be lonely with few friends that have nine hundred thousand acquaintances whom I don't really care about and who don't really care about me. To a lot of NTs, friends seem to be little more than a status symbol, as is evidenced by social media - a lot of people have over 500 Facebook friends purely for the sake of having a lot of Facebook friends. I used to fall in to this trap, but that was in my days of trying to act neurotypical. I am now thoroughly ashamed of myself for being so shallow. :shame:

Like many others, there are parts of having Asperger's that I don't like - I don't like the social anxiety, I don't like the co-morbid conditions such as digestion problems and I really don't like the dirty-sounding name of the condition. (anyone else think it sounds dirty or is it just me?) I do, however, like my attention to detail, my ability to focus incredibly deeply on something I'm interested in, my imagination and my heightened sense of empathy and love.

From the look of things, it appears that most of the aspects of being autistic that people dislike are the ones caused by a judgemental, shallow society. To me, we are no different from any other so-called minority groups - LGBT, ethnic minorities, religious minorities etc. - so why should we arguably face more prejudices and discrimination from those groups? Because society still says it is okay. People with disabilities are still mocked frequently on TV, in films, in books etc. but you can't really get away with mocking gay people, or black people, or Jews etc. As aspies are so thinly spread around the world, there is also little chance for us to get together and plan protests and the like. Society knows this, and they actively discourage any sort of unity among aspies. I personally think we need to change that, and soon.

Edited by Laddo

This is not my quote but I think it's brilliant, I read it online a while ago and can't remember who wrote it.

'I have Aspergers, though I don't suffer from it' :D

I wouldn't cure it

For severe Autism I can see the need.

Edited by UnusualPatronus

Even at 50+ if there was really a cure, I would go for it.

Come on really, if you are a high functioning, would you rather be rid of the problems?

Asperics are intelligent despite their defect ASD, not because of it.

Edited by Waterboatman

"Come on really, if you are a high functioning, would you rather be rid of the problems?"

No way! Not in million years! Many Aspies don't want to change our personalities. We're happy the way we are, proud to be who we are, and use our unique gifts to the full. I wouldn't trade those gifts for anything. Anyway, I'd be bored sick as an NT! :D

We're all different.

Edited by Mihaela

Being able to function with the 'norms', just to be able too.

I have to get on with those around me. SO DO YOU.

No pretence, without support where are you?

I really don't understand you Waterboatman. Why join an autism support forum only to say autistic people are defective? Can you honestly not see any positives of being autistic?

"...if you are a high functioning, would you rather be rid of the problems?

Asperics are intelligent despite their defect ASD, not because of it"

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Yes, I'd like to be rid of my problems which amount to executive dysfunction and sensory overload - and nothing more. If I was 'cured' of this at the expense of all my AS-related positive traits, it would a price not worth paying.

My positive traits are so many and so important to me. They make who I am, and I have no wish to have my personality altered by using drugs or having brain surgery.

Some of what I see as positive traits may not be seen as such by some Aspies - emotionally childlike, socially naive, high empathy, high emotional sensitivity, highly logical, highly intuitive, unconventional thinking style, idealistic, collections, special interests, etc. These are what make me who I am.

We may or may not be intelligent as a result of our condition (nobody really knows), but it's highly likely that the imaginative and unconventional ways in which some of use our intelligence is due to our condition. This is crucially important. Merely having a high IQ wouldn't allow me to have the insights that I've enjoyed all my life. It's the way I use my IQ that makes me so different. I wouldn't be a 'philomath-polymath' without my AS.

Considering that most if not all people with AS rather than 'classic' autism have average-to-high IQs, I would say that intelligence is a part of the condition.

However, IQ testing is majorly flawed, especially when it comes to measuring the intelligence of autistic people. On other forums I've known non-verbal autistics to make some of the most intelligent, articulate posts I've seen. I can't remember who posted it but there is a link on this forum to an incredible video made by a non-verbal autistic woman. In the video she appears to an ignorant mind to be 'in her own world' and unaware of what is going on around her, and presumably she would score low in conventional IQ tests. Then she communicates with the viewer through a text-to-speech synthesiser and you realise just how aware this woman is. Her unconventional communication methods make people instantly assume she's not intelligent, then she goes on to prove them all wrong. It just goes to show just how little humans actually understand intelligence.

Edited by Laddo

Considering that most if not all people with AS rather than 'classic' autism have average-to-high IQs, I would say that intelligence is a part of the condition.

You misunderstand me.

Waterboatman said: Asperics are intelligent despite their defect ASD, not because of it.

I said: We may or may not be intelligent as a result of our condition (nobody really knows). What I meant is that no-one knows whether higher than average IQ is a causal factor of AS neurological condition, or whether the neurological condition itself causes us to have high IQ (as a 'by-product', along with social difficulties, etc. Of course, an IQ of 100+ is a defining trait of AS, but that's not what I meant, for Waterboatman seems to have been speaking in terms of causation.

However, IQ testing is majorly flawed, especially when it comes to measuring the intelligence of autistic people.

I agree - and it's partly because autistic people tend to have intelligence blind-spots which distort the results. There are several different types of intelligence, and IQ tests can be rough and ready at the best of times - one reason why I don't take Mensa very seriously. I suppose they're reasonably accurate for most neurotypicals.

I've seen that video too. It's somewhere on Youtube. Amazing!

There are several different types of intelligence, and IQ tests can be rough and ready at the best of times - one reason why I don't take Mensa very seriously.

20+ years ago I was put off joining Mensa when I learnt that Jimmy Saville was a member. Not that I had any inkling that he was a sexual predator, I just regarded him as an annoying prat.

I was too, but for different reasons. It revolved around special interest groups and was too elitist (!). Having so many special interests, poor decision-making skills and being an inclusive type, I wouldn't have fitted in!

As for that Mr Savile, I agree he was a prat but, I doubt whether he was anything like the perv the mass media and police make him out be. He may well have been asexual, and here's masses of information out there that casts doubt on the serious allegations, such as the inimitable Anna Raccoon's blog - exposing the lies and duplicity of self-publicist, self-styled 'expert' Mark Williams-Thomas, etc. Trial by the media, especially trial of the dead, is pretty tasteless.

http://annaraccoon.com/category/duncroftsavile/

And from Moor Larkin:

http://jimcannotfixthis.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/alter-ego.html

There's much more where this came from, and it makes any thinker think :/

A cure for adults and those beyond the early years of childhood, is unlikely to ever exist in a form that anyone is going to seriously consider.

So what then?

For older children focused education to maximise their abilities and minimise their failings.

Adults we have to train ourselves, and use modern gadgets to aid us, the modern mobile smartphone or tablet, for things such as a memory, notes, alarms to eat and drink, calendars.

The online shopping apps and banking apps are easier to use, than their full sized web page counterparts. For people with numeric problems these might be a solution?

------------------------------------

Edit due to grammer mistakes and a change of mind, deleting.

Edited by Waterboatman

i have many conditions, including autism im not high functioning end, but no i would not want to cure myself. I would not be who i am today and i have great many talents and abilities taking away autism is taking away a person. all these labels dont say who we are, but we identify. they are not a personality triat but they are a part of who i am and i do not want to change that as i am great at many things.

Very recently diagnosed at 58 with ASD, so here's my totally homegrown opinion. I'm high functioning.

The fact that the D in ASD stands for disorder doesn't bother me in the slightest, yet it can stand for difference as well, and that is a simple fact.

So, and I am one of the luckier ones, the word cure cannot apply in my world as I'm certainly not diseased with ASD. This kind of meaning is up to the individual, I'm not about to project this opinion onto anyone else. Sometimes I think that the S standing for Syndrome might be better for me.

As one of the luckier ones I've still been bullied, isolated, misunderstood, marginalised, trivialised, have made a complete fool of myself and suffered long periods of isolation in what felt like a mild to moderate mental illness. Some of my life has been downright scuzzy.

But, there's my fanatical interest in words and what they mean - that's good. And other things. Like automatically being true to one's self and others. (Just to be a clever clogs with words for a second, this feels like a biological imperative).

Yes, I can only just about function in tolerant sub societies, and the NT world is savagely getting rid of them.

For me: No disease means no cure. I'd defintely say that society is ill though.

Edited by Alexanderplatz

It was through my autism I got involved with Autism Initiatives. And really, before I was screwed over by them, my life was relatively OK. It wasn't great, but now I feel as if I have lost everything. That really has nothing to do with my autism as such, and all to do with not getting helped for my impulsive nature.

These darn support people are only in this for the money. If you get bright ideas about being friendly with them there, they lie and take them well away from you.

A cure for ASD can only be developed if people with the condition are willing to voluntarily go forward and submit themselves to research and experiments that could result in permanent damage or death. Who exactly is going to carry out this medical research? If NHS doctors are unable or unwilling to do it then it will end up in the hands of people who are not doctors or qualified to practice medicine, such as biochemists, working in backstreet laboratories rather than in hospitals. If such practices are made illegal in Britain then they will move to countries where medicine is less regulated. Would you entrust a biochemistry graduate with no medical training in a third world country or former Soviet state?

I have tried a number of things to try and eliminate some of my autism. Chelation is quite a contentious issue but all I can say is it helped me and im aware of others who found chelation helpful for them and their children. Personally if someone feels they're suffering as a result of being unable to cope with their ASD they should be allowed to try a cure. If they are happy in how their autism affects them and it causes no distress to others I don't feel it is morally right for them to take a cure.

For me no gluten, dairy, benzoates, low aspartame, low msg and low soya have helped my autism. I can now express pain and certain supplements have helped with depression, cognition and to an extent my physical pain. That's being strict and also making sure non food items eg don't lick stamps as they have gluten in them are avoided. It is hard but rewarding work. Dairy takes 3 days to leave your system (as does soya which can mimic dairy) gluten takes months.

I also avoid pineapple and bromelain for the EDS as it can loosen my joints.

Gold MD I find it depends what type of support workers I get, ive had support workers that I refuse to see because we clash and ones who have supported me for years the longest being nearly 10 years this summer. Support workers have to be clear on boundaries, expectations of me and mine of them and what they can and cannot help me with. Changing my lifestyle (prefer to call it a lifestyle rather than a diet) is what helped with my impulsive nature.

Id say it has alot to do with the severity of the condition and what exactly does the so-called "cure" involve. As who people are consists of both biological and environmental components, the genes setting the base of billions options of what you can become and the environment- the conditions and life experience, evolve us to who we are. As for the gener, the part making up ASD is fractional in the amount of genes inherited and as for me already being an adult, my memories and life experience remains the same, therefore i would most likely still be me after the so called cure unless its accompanied with major brain damage and memory loss. I would assume taking the cure would be pretty much like taking antidepressants-the medication would most likely be focused on simply alleviating the bad symptoms associated with ASD, in which case, if no health risks involved, i would take it. As for the oppinion everybody wanting to take the cure are so-called traitors, as then all aspies would be made to take it is a far-fetched statement. nobodycan make you take any medication while your still deemed to have mental capacity. And even when you dont you often have the option of declining. I know what im talking about, i work in care. You cannot force people to take their meds, even if they have dementia you cant unless theres specific paperwork in place to show they will suffer significant harm or even death if they dont take it. If your happy with the way you are, by all means, keep it that way. I, however have spent half my life wishing just to forget each and every day i been through and the other half that my mother had taken the advice of abortion before i was born. I grew up in a rather old-fashioned family with parents fixated on their ideas what children should be like and who they should become, thus being a constant letdown, constantly compared to my sister who fit their ideals. school was a nightmare, constantly being bullied by classmates for being "strange" or "different", i was never able to make any real friends like the rest. The constant stress level build up due to the overcrowded and unfriendly school envoironments often resulted me having a fever every evening and ending up sick almost every few weeks as unlike the rest i dont unwind as easily and most of my energy is spent day-in, day-out to shutting myself in my room, in my own world, pretending RL is just a dream and i actually am someone else, somewhere else where there is either no people, or people very different from the ones i see on a day to day basis. As this is the only way i cope. I hate the fact i dont often understand other people, despite i speak the language fine. Especially if they got a tiny bit of local accent or even if they just use a phone, it often modifies the voice enough for me to no longer understand someone. I hate the fact i cant seem to make any friends despite i really really want to, i simply cannot seem to connect to people. I hate i cant multitask and am extremely forgetful because my head is filled with so much worries, because the way i am everything seems ten times harder than it should be, than it seems to be for anyone else. There are so many things i want to do, but i cant, because i cant drive, whether or not i tried to learn for it, because my processing speed is simply too slow, not to mention the lack of my spacial awareness and observation skills, busses make me feel anxious and confused and i find it terrifying to go to unfamiliar places by myself, and since i got no friends im stuck. I cant cope with full time employment like the rest, am unable to enjoy physical intimacy, am constantly struggling with social cues ending up people thinking of me as weird or sometimes accusing me of being downright rude and i simply cannot understand why, being rotated around at work causes anxiety and panicing and i could go on and on. So if there was a cure that would help me live my life to the full and allow me to be who i want to be without the constant stress, fear and exclusion/isolation, bring it on. As i said, i think the answer to the question is subject very much to the differences between each and every case and the difference of the quality of life it would bring.

As for the prenatal, i would steer very carefully with that, unless proven to be 100% accurate, i wouldnt trust it. Untill then avoid at all costs, id say.

I think I would take the cure if ever one was discovered. I dont think it would effect a person's personality they would be the same person only enhanced by having restrictions removed making their abilities stronger so life can be more tolerable. Peoples views will depend on experience and how their individual lives have been but personally I would like to be free of this just because of how difficult life has been for me.

I think I would take the cure if ever one was discovered. I dont think it would effect a person's personality they would be the same person only enhanced by having restrictions removed making their abilities stronger so life can be more tolerable. Peoples views will depend on experience and how their individual lives have been but personally I would like to be free of this just because of how difficult life has been for me.

Yeah, for all those still thinking itd change your personality just think of all those identical twins. genetics 100% same, but personality wise generally very different people once you get to know them, as who you are is determined by your life experience, not gene pool. Same thing goes for if somebody took a genetical sample and tried to clone you. they might look like you but would never be the same personality. I would definetly not change any of my views or beliefs or become a totally different person just cuz i got fewer anxiety issues:)

Edited by Moonlight

Welcome, Moonlight (I like the name)!

If your happy with the way you are, by all means, keep it that way...

I'm 100% happy with being who I am, however, I'm not happy about how the NT world treats me. I have my ways of coping with sensory issues, which I can't avoid, but the NT world can avoid being cruel and uncaring towards people who are harmless but 'different'. The problem doesn't lie in our difference, but in their intolerance, inhumanity and discrimination.

I grew up in a rather old-fashioned family with parents fixated on their ideas what children should be like and who they should become, thus being a constant letdown, constantly compared to my sister who fit their ideals. school was a nightmare, constantly being bullied by classmates for being "strange" or "different", i was never able to make any real friends like the rest.

Me too, but although my parents were ambitious for me, they accepted my limitations and loved me. School was the worst time of my life, and I've had many bad times since - all caused by the NT world's lack of humanity.

...unlike the rest i dont unwind as easily and most of my energy is spent day-in, day-out to shutting myself in my room, in my own world, pretending RL is just a dream and i actually am someone else, somewhere else where there is either no people, or people very different from the ones i see on a day to day basis.

Exactly how I feel!! Very accurately put.

I hate the fact i dont often understand other people...

We can't understand them - simply because of the way we are, but at least we try. They don't even bother to try to understand us. They are ones at fault; not us. They don't suffer the stress that we do, and they even cause us so much of that stress - sometimes intentionally. So no, I don't hate the fact that I don't understand them. In a way, I'm very glad that I don't - for what I see of that world is hardly edifying or comforting. I live in that world by sufferance and chance of birth, but thankfully I'm not of that world.

I hate the fact i cant seem to make any friends despite i really really want to, i simply cannot seem to connect to people.

I guarantee that you'd connect with me, and that we would be friends - because we talk the same language.

I hate i cant multitask and am extremely forgetful because my head is filled with so much worries, because the way i am everything seems ten times harder than it should be, than it seems to be for anyone else.

Yes! Me again. Welcome to the executive dysfunctional club! You're far from alone :)

There are so many things i want to do, but i cant, because i cant drive, whether or not i tried to learn for it, because my processing speed is simply too slow, not to mention the lack of my spacial awareness and observation skills, busses make me feel anxious and confused and i find it terrifying to go to unfamiliar places by myself, and since i got no friends im stuck.

Yes, again. I can only travel on a bus if I take one of my cats with me. I panic at the slightest thing, get confused when counting my fare, burst into tears in public, etc.

I cant cope with full time employment like the rest, am unable to enjoy physical intimacy, am constantly struggling with social cues ending up people thinking of me as weird or sometimes accusing me of being downright rude and i simply cannot understand why, being rotated around at work causes anxiety and panicing and i could go on and on.

I've done a lot of voluntary work in my life, but couldn't possibly cope with 'normal' work. I've tried it and it was a disaster.

So if there was a cure that would help me live my life to the full and allow me to be who i want to be without the constant stress, fear and exclusion/isolation, bring it on.

The only cure is for the NT world to show more compassion, tolerance and understanding for people like us. It's not impossible, for they already do it with 'visibly' disabled people of all types.

Sorry I have not read all the replies, but wanted to say why I voted no for my daughter.

I could give a lot of reasons, but the main one is we have discussed this and she said no.

'Most normal people need to put down others to make themselves feel good at some point. I like feeling good about myself because of who I am.'

Sorry I have not read all the replies, but wanted to say why I voted no for my daughter.

I could give a lot of reasons, but the main one is we have discussed this and she said no.

'Most normal people need to put down others to make themselves feel good at some point. I like feeling good about myself because of who I am.'

Yes most people to like to feel superior by putting others down that's a point I totally agree with you on. When your one of the people that understand what it feels like you tend to try not to do it to others because you know how hurtful it is.

I would fully support anyone who didnt want to take a cure if it was possible and for your daughter to say no shows character and courage to be happy with who she is with a lot of people's views the way they are.