Would you use a cure for autism?

Would you use a cure for autism?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a cure for autism?

• Yes, for my child
    • No, for my child
    • Yes, for myself
    • No, for myself

At the moment my son keeps saying that he just wants to be 'normal', how he would be happier if he wasn't Aspie. The other children don't like him, he feels, because he is strange and behaves differently. He has no friends, not a single one and he is very well aware of this. He is lonely and unhappy about himself. If I could take all that away then I would, most definitely. We're hoping that this is just a phase and that with time he will learn to accept himself and be proud of who he is, but it's not going to be easy for him and if I could take away the aspects that keep him alone and lonely, without changing the wonderful person that he is, then I would.

~ Mel ~

At the moment my son keeps saying that he just wants to be 'normal', how he would be happier if he wasn't Aspie. The other children don't like him, he feels, because he is strange and behaves differently. He has no friends, not a single one and he is very well aware of this. He is lonely and unhappy about himself. If I could take all that away then I would, most definitely. We're hoping that this is just a phase and that with time he will learn to accept himself and be proud of who he is, but it's not going to be easy for him and if I could take away the aspects that keep him alone and lonely, without changing the wonderful person that he is, then I would.

~ Mel ~

Mel, I have to quote your post because you've written exactly what I would say! :)

Curra

I had a an in-depth scan at 5 months gestation with scottie - cos I had missed the original nucal scan for Downs and things were playing on my mind. Doctor aksed if we wanted to know the sex, I said yes and they told me he was a girl!!! LOL!

When he was born I remember looking twice at him saying, she's got b***s!

Scott came home in a pink babygro, wrapped in a pink blanket.

I suppose this was an example where they can get it wrong so that is why I am not a fan of pre-natal screening.

We were in shock for about a week after he was born!

mm they said same about lewis when he was born i asked them to double check all his lovely clothes were pink

I'm sorry this is a difficult decision but as the parent of a non-verbal child i'd take the cure!!

and i probably would have pre-natal testing - that isn't to say i would have an abortion though.

Having a child that can not speak is heart breaking :tearful: I love my son dearly but everyday i feel a huge amount of sadness for him ( not for me ) - whether that will change as he gets older i don't know.

This is a good thread.

When my son has positive stuff going on I love how autism is different and fascinating, but when the bad stuff is happening, autism is horrible - so on the whole I think I would want a cure. If I was to really be honest.

I think I'd take the cure for my child too. While appreciating Autistics like many other disabled sectors now use the rights and 'normal argument for autism to persist, what a parent sees is a very limited type of interaction and relationship with the real world, and what their child is missing, we don't support 'normality' as such, but want more for our obviously emotionally deprived children whom we love, even if they aren't aware of this deprivation. All parents want is the best for their kids.

I was talking to a lady recently with two children on the spectrum about this. She wouldn't change or want to cure her eldest child who is very happy in his own skin and so many of the positives and achievements are because of not in spite of his autism. He does find things ahrd but that is due to the ignorance or intolerance of others. I think though she'd take a cure for her other child who is desperately unhappy being as they are, desperately wants to be 'normal' and this is causing a lot of distress and heartache for him and her family

Lx

A high proportion of parents would like to see their kids cured. I was expecting the figure to be around 15%, but it's nearly 50% What are your reasons?

1. Problems at home.

2. Problems at school.

3. I want my kids to have a happy life and I think it is almost impossible if they have AS or ASD. They will end up with depression.

4. I think that AS and ASD are nuisance conditions that should be eradicated (be honest with this one).

5. My kids just want to be neurotypical.

6. I have doubts my kids will survive the job market and find meaningful employment.

7. Having to deal with kids with AS or ASD is nothing but hassle. I just want the lifestyle the parents of neurotypical kids down the road have.

8. Some other reason.

For myself (and having to assume I have AS, as referred but not had assessment yet!)...

If it meant I wouldn't wreck relationships then yes, I would for me.

Bid

ETA: bad timing...I should have answered at another time! :rolleyes:

Edited by bid

Now on a better day, I am happy to be me and wouldn't want a cure for myself...which just goes to show what a complex question it is!! :wacko::hypno:

Bid :)

Edited by bid

That brings up another issue. If I could become non-Autistic, what happens if I wake up one morning and realise I've made a terrible mistake?

Then it brings up another issue: if I choose a 'cure' for myself, I am validating the existence of such a thing which in turn increases the pressure on other vulnerable people to take such a cure when they are going through a rough time or don't have any support from loved ones unless they take a 'cure'. Coersion is terrible but Autistics are subjected to it constantly. A 'cure' would only make this worse.

Then the third implication is that Autism is the primary cause of issues and I'm forever arguing that it's far more complex than that. It used to be very tempting to think being Neurotypical would solve all my problems but experiences since have changed my perspective; being Autistic gives me a degree of immunity to some things and I'm still shocked when some people express envy towards me. At first I was offended and thought "You have no idea what it's like" but now most of the time it actually makes me feel better. It often gives me the oppotunity to just talk about how I'm looking at things without having to answer any specific question which I'll have trouble finding words for.

Autism is just another type of 'people'... If there was a cure for 'people' would you take it? Depends on the people I guess... there are all sorts of minority groups who have been disenfranchised, misunderstood, dehumanised, devalued and abused throughout history - If there'd been a 'cure' for them at the time the world would be a far plainer place, and if history has shown anything it's that there will always be new 'outsiders' to target as the old minority groups get assimilated.

Me, as Reggie Perrin's priggish son-in-law Tom would have said, "I'm a people person"... :thumbs:

L&P

BD :D

I think the fact that sometimes people with ASD may ponder the question of a cure during 'black moments' (perhaps when life is particularly difficult) is perfectly valid.

I can't remember the statistics for depression/suicidal feelings/suicide among people with AS, but I think they were frighteningly high...

Which begs the question as to how people with AS who struggle like this feel about themselves/their ASD.

I do agree with your argument, Lucas, it's just that I think that people with AS who sometimes struggle with their dx have a valid perspective, too.

Bid

My son is very unhappy because he has ASD. He has never really accepted it and counselling hasn't changed his mind. He would like to "get rid" of his autism and can't see anything good about it. Maybe he'll change as he matures, but at this moment I'd use a cure to see him happy if there was any, though I wouldn't like him to have another personality. I love him the way he is.

Curra

The idea of curing autism makes me feel very uncomfortable. My son is fab because of not inspite of his autism. I think I would only cure him if it would make him happier and I am not completely convinced that not being autistic would necessarily improve his happiness or his ability to live a fuller life. However he is only five and I have no idea what he may think as he gets older or what life may hold. Curing for the parents is one thing, not saying that is necessarily a bad thing but something that has to be recognised. However I don't think you can deny the feelings of the autistic person who might want to be cured, surely those living it themselves have the most valid viewpoints?

Lx

I need to come back to this as it won't stop floating around the front page.

I reguarly have arguements with curbie Autistics. I neither respect their opinions or find them valid and reject wholly the contradictory philosophy that every opinion is valid or equally valid. I'm often unsympathetic to their feelings which I find self-inflicted and based on completely irrational ideas based on the medical model of Autism, which they blame completely for many problems they can't form a coherent line of reasoning to explain how Autism is implicated.

They're selfish in the same way pre-meditated suicides are selfish. If they accept a hypothetical cure, they've validated the coercion and demonisation that *other* Autistics must put up with. In their little bubble they like to believe they're making decisions only for themselves and no amount of careful explaination can make them see their responsibility to those more vulnerable than them.

I need to come back to this as it won't stop floating around the front page.

I reguarly have arguements with curbie Autistics. I neither respect their opinions or find them valid and reject wholly the contradictory philosophy that every opinion is valid or equally valid. I'm often unsympathetic to their feelings which I find self-inflicted and based on completely irrational ideas based on the medical model of Autism, which they blame completely for many problems they can't form a coherent line of reasoning to explain how Autism is implicated.

They're selfish in the same way pre-meditated suicides are selfish. If they accept a hypothetical cure, they've validated the coercion and demonisation that *other* Autistics must put up with. In their little bubble they like to believe they're making decisions only for themselves and no amount of careful explaination can make them see their responsibility to those more vulnerable than them.

lucas what does curbie autistics mean?sorry if its been explained before but i must have missed it,thanks

Hi Lucas -

I know the strength of your feelings on this, but if we're talking about 'rights' autistic people DO have a right to be 'selfish' as you put it and 'think only of themselves', just as you have a right to make other choices that you feel are more alturistic and 'responsible'.

I'm sorry - this is the same argument as those fighting for equal rights for ethnic minorities used when they called those who were less militant than themselves 'Uncle Toms', and it is totally unfair. We all have rights to make choices, and to do so regardless of the judgements made by others. Some may make the right choices for the wrong reasons, some may make the wrong choices for the right reasons... others may make the right choices for the right reasons (lucky beggars!) or the wrong for the wrong!

I agree totally that autistic people do face all sorts negative responses/attitudes to their conditions that influence how they see and maybe 'judge' themselves and that that is wrong - but to imply another, equally damning and damaging judgement on them if they don't see things from your point of view is equally wrong.

For my money, what is truly 'unselfish' and 'responsible' is to respect the validity of other peoples feelings even when you believe they are wrong... That can be incredibly hard to do (and believe me I'm not claiming any moral highground by pretending I'm any good at taking my own advice!), but I do think it's the 'right' thing to do if we can.

L&P

BD

Oh - sorry, Hev -

A 'Curbie' is somebody who wants/would accept a cure for autism. An 'autistic curebie' is someone with autism who wants/would accept a cure, as distinct from a neurotypical parent/carer making that decision on the autistic persons behalf.

My autism is not a problem. It creates problems. But it is not going to go away. I want help with my problems not with who I am. I want you to offer support but do not try and change me into someone else.

Just having a read through this thread - and this stuck out for me................... Nells :notworthy::wub::notworthy:

My son is warm, considerate (when he understands what's expected of him..), funny, loving, charming, delightful, infuriating, confusing, draining............. you get the picture.

Would i want to take away the problems he faces all day, every day? Absolutely.

Would i rather he hadn't spent half of today hiding under a table, hitting his 1:1, rocking and shouting? Absolutely.

Would i rather people accepted him for him - Most definately....

Would i want to give him something to take away all this pain and frustration for him - Of course.........

I appreciate and accept him for him - totally and completely.

:)

Edited by smiley

Baddad, any claim or statement that will have an effect on others *must* be qualified with reason. The right to have an opinion doesn't make that opinion valid, which is why I hate it when people see everything as simply being a matter of opinion where no one is right or wrong.

It has *nothing* to do with opinions or points of view. When you claim I'm angry because someone has a different point of view from me, you can't have listened to what I was saying to begin with. Ethics are not invented, they're discovered.

Ethics are not invented, they're discovered.

Hi Lucas - I think the use of the word 'ethic' is dangerous, as their are personal ethics and group ethics...

If we are talking about group ethics, then effectively the 'rules of conduct' are governed by the way the majority (or those in power?) think, and laws are created accordingly to protect the status quo and those who ascribe to or follow it. Any fundamental 'defence' of that type of ethic completely undermines the expression of free will and social change.

If we are talking about personal ethics, it has to be accepted that people have different views, and that their understanding/interpretation is based on personal experience and other factors that are personal to them: they are subjective.

Quite simply, you cannot call people 'traitors to a cause' (or Uncle Tom's, Or Curbies, or whatever the term is that's used by militant gay people as an excuse for 'outing' others who choose a different lifestyle to them) if it is not their cause.

As I've said, for the most part I agree with you and your point of view, but the reasons I have reached those conclusions are very different from your own. Given my inbuilt obstinacy (what me?? :lol: ) the chances are that had someone tried to force those conclusions on me I would probably have rejected them out of hand!

Interestingly, from the answers to this poll it appears that adults with autism for the most part would not accept/want a cure, while the majority of parents have a different perspective. I think that is a good indicator of just how subjective and personal the 'ethics' of this debate are.

From a parents perspective - and I suspect from the perspective of many autistic children/teens - the social responses to and problems associated with autism are too major for them to NOT consider a 'cure' as something beneficial, because that sort of self-esteem and personal awareness and 'confidence' (I use the term loosely) is not natural for either children/young adults OR for the adults who want to (following their perfectly natural instincts) protect them.

L&P

BD :D

Sorry but you're continuing to make opinions and ethics synonymous when they're not. If an Autistic wants to cure themself then they will cause the rights of other Autistics to be trampled on, they can't avoid that by saying it's just their opinion or 'personal ethics'(an oxymoron). Ethics and morality should be determined by the same means scientific truth is determined, not popularity. Most people believe in the death penalty, they're wrong and immoral and have no arguement to stand up. Curbies are the same, even the Autistic ones.

Most Autistic curbies by the way would not choose a cure for themselves but are perfectly fine with vulnerable Autistics being coerced or forced to hypothetically take one. That says a lot about them. They are 'traitors' whilst Autistics wanting to cure themselves are simply their victims.

Lucas... are you saying that ethics aren't subjective, and as such they can't be 'personal'???

yes or no?

flora

Whether opinions are right, wrong, truth, etc., whether people are entitled to hold any opinion and whether one person's belief is valid or more valid than another person's are epistemological and ontological questions concerning the nature of reality and how we can come to know. Everyone will position themselves differently within opposing and contradictory philosophical locations. Much of this positioning will be, as Baddad says, subjective, and much will rely on what suits a particular person's needs, at a particular time, in a particular context. Whilst such belief systems can be used to explain a person's aproach to this or other problems, they are essentially a separate arguement and as such should remain that way. It is problematic to conflate a person's position on this 'cure' issue with their underlying value system, and a person's values, ethics and beliefs cannot be judged based on their subjective responses to such an emotive subject.

Moving the discussion away from 'rights and responsibilities', I would suggest that the difficulty actually lies in the use of the word 'cure'. To cure suggests that there is something inherently wrong and that this innate 'wrongness' relates to the whole being. It suggests the human subject to be unidimentional instead of a multi-faceted evolving being. I doubt that this arguement would have the same force and emotion if it was phrased 'would you want support for anything that you find difficult?' This phrasing assumes that everyone, ASD or NT, has both strengths and weaknesses. Everyone, at some time in their lives, to a greater or lesser degree will have wide-ranging aspects they need support with, be it support whilst a broken limb mends, learning to swim, developing social skills or after a stroke. This support may either be a short term need or a longer term need with the possible aim of allowing the individual to function without that support. Having such support does not mean that the things the person could do, or was strong at, are ignored.

My Asperger's has given me particular strengths that, I believe, have allowed me to be where I am today. Perseverance, determination and sheer bl**dy-mindedness have meant that I haven't given up when things go wrong. I am not distracted by a need to ensure I follow the latest fashion, know current celebrity gossip or constantly maintain a social position. This gives me the time to focus on my intense interest at a high level of study and hence to, hopefully, in the future make significant academic contributions. My ability to focus on details and patterns allows me to notice errors that may have gone unnoticed by others, to make connections that others don't always 'see' and so to advance theory and thinking.

However, I do have extreme difficulties related to sensory perception. I don't want to be curled up in tears because another student, several rooms away, is playing music that is painful to my ears. I don't want to constantly walk into things because I can't perceive where objects are around me in unfamiliar environments. I don't want to be unable to go into department stores with a purfumary because the smell makes me physically sick. I want to be able to interact in a more 'normal' way with my environment and the people in it because I want to understand, I want to be understood, and I want my strengths to be allowed to be the initial image people have of me. This is not about a cure; this is about support to aleiviate my difficulies. Support needs are different in everyone. My brother is much lower functioning than me; he would need higher levels of support with things he finds difficult in order for his strengths to be realised, but such higher levels of support are not the same as a cure - they are ways of working towards allowing ASD individuals independence in a NT world.

Interestingly, from the answers to this poll it appears that adults with autism for the most part would not accept/want a cure, while the majority of parents have a different perspective. I think that is a good indicator of just how subjective and personal the 'ethics' of this debate are.

This is about subjectiveness but is also about something far more fundemental. It is about ASD individuals having difficulty understanding NT minds, NT minds having difficulty understanding ASD minds, NT minds having difficulty understanding all other NT minds and ASD minds having difficulty understanding all other ASD minds. 'Types' may be closer to understanding their own, but they will never know the entirity of someone else's mind. In addition, and this needs to be remembered when looking at the range of autobiographical ASD writing, the adults commenting on this thread, myself included, are likely to be higher functioning. The parents commenting on this tread are dealing with the full spectrum of needs. I can only know what it is like to be autistic from my own perspective. I am as individual as an NT is individual. I know what I find difficult and I am begining to understand why I find these things difficult, but I can never presume that the way I experience the world is the same as, or different from, any other individual, autistic or NT.

If we have to use the word 'cure', perhaps we should be looking to 'cure' social prejudices and linear views of normality

which provide the arena for this discussion in positing difference as something in need of eradication.

Mumble.

Lucas... are you saying that ethics aren't subjective, and as such they can't be 'personal'???

yes or no?

This is a trick question because ethics can be subjective and objective. Pull the universe apart and examine every element on it's own and there won't be a molecule of justice, charity, hope and truth, but they're also virtually undeniable. If everyone says something is or isn't true, it doesn't change it. Justice is absolutely not what most people think is right just because lots of them think it. Hope isn't an idea as much as it is a dimension; I can't imagine there will be a time where I will no longer exist, but even when I didn't exist at all to feel hope I still apply it backwards to that point, this is incredibly complicated because it deals with something that shouldn't exist unless there is someone there to observe it. These are the kind of problems that turn people towards religion but I've never been able to do that because Agnostic/Atheism is too strong in it's arguements: if I choose to believe in one deity, why not believe in them all?

When ethics become 'personal', they are no longer ethics but superstitions. I know I'm alive and sentient, but I can't prove to another person that I'm sentient, only alive. I can only appeal to the assumptions I hope other people share about what qualifies as sentience with equal worth to them. I have no proof that I am. When people assume that other people different from them are non-sentient, they can never offer proof but inevitably always argue that no one can prove the targeted person is sentient: it's an unfair burden of proof that devalues Human life. Decartes doesn't seem to be enough.

I believe that the life-experiences that people go through as they move through life (the birth and death of loved ones, illness, betrayal, deep love, etc) enable them to approach the despair of others with a greater degree of compassion and understanding...because they have experienced these things as opposed to intellectualizing them.

Edited by bid

I sat down with him and chatted away,he did communicate in points and gestures and he even laughed at my identity pass photo.i even got a hug and a kiss from this little lad.His parents were amazed and so was the other escort.just because someone cant speak doesnt mean they dont understand or enjoy conversation.Ive made a new freind.And given the other escort food for thought.

Regardless of the original thread topic, that was a nice thing to do and the world would be a better place if more people could do stuff like that. B)

This is a trick question because ethics can be subjective and objective. Pull the universe apart and examine every element on it's own and there won't be a molecule of justice, charity, hope and truth, but they're also virtually undeniable. If everyone says something is or isn't true, it doesn't change it. Justice is absolutely not what most people think is right just because lots of them think it. Hope isn't an idea as much as it is a dimension; I can't imagine there will be a time where I will no longer exist, but even when I didn't exist at all to feel hope I still apply it backwards to that point, this is incredibly complicated because it deals with something that shouldn't exist unless there is someone there to observe it. These are the kind of problems that turn people towards religion but I've never been able to do that because Agnostic/Atheism is too strong in it's arguements: if I choose to believe in one deity, why not believe in them all?

When ethics become 'personal', they are no longer ethics but superstitions. I know I'm alive and sentient, but I can't prove to another person that I'm sentient, only alive. I can only appeal to the assumptions I hope other people share about what qualifies as sentience with equal worth to them. I have no proof that I am. When people assume that other people different from them are non-sentient, they can never offer proof but inevitably always argue that no one can prove the targeted person is sentient: it's an unfair burden of proof that devalues Human life. Decartes doesn't seem to be enough.

Being disabled myself, I'd take a cure like a shot because then I could be even more of an help to my son and my partner, and because I hate any form of dependency or support offered, I fear patronization more than death really..... Whether a 'cure' would benefit my son, I don't know, I think the cure would be more for my benefit than his ! Autism is his norm, my disability was not mine. If he ever showed he is not happy being what he is, then I would re-think the cure, yes. What is important is his view of the world, it took a while for me to realize what 'mainstream' viewed as a norm was totally irrelevant. Now I ignore them totally, I do not care what they think. If we did we could not function.

see, the thing is, I do not believe the autism causes the wonderful parts of my son. he would still be the same person and just as wonderful without it - just he would be able to understand and interact with the world more easily, wouldn't have the high anxiety and the additional problems that cuases, and possibly, may have some friends and out of scholla activities to occupy his time.

I do not see any good bits of his personality are the direct result of his autism, only the "bad"/difficult bits.

so in my opinion, if there was a cure, or even a treatment, I would jump at it.

Rather like I encourage my Dh to take medication for his depression - he is not who he is becasue of it. When he takes the drugs, and the depression lifts slightly, he is the same person, but with much of the negative aspects removed. When he doesn't take them, the negative aspects become overwhelming, and his (and everyone he comes into contact with) quality of live is drastically reduced.

After a lot of thought I voted "yes", but only as a general rule; the question is really too simplistic as phrased because there are potentially dozens of factors that affect the answer, especially given the arguments here as to whether ASD is truly a disablement or an alternative view of the world or something else entirely. I can only speak from experience about AS, not for all ASD, so what follows is my take only; YYMV:

AS has cost me most of the things that as an NT I could have expected to get or have a fair chance to earn for myself and because of the nambification of society, in which employers are allowed to expect people skills (other than basic good manners) from science graduates, did not get the benefits of a good career in research or engineering that somebody born maybe twenty years earlier might have got and which would have made up for it to some extent.

Aspies born in the strict Victorian and Edwardian eras not only had a simpler life to cope with but were, like NTs, brainwashed from birth with most of the people skills they needed as part of the strict code of good manners prevelant at the time. Given the trends now, Aspies born, say, 50 years from now will have access to stronger legislation and change of attitudes to protect them and better chances of learning how to fit in with NTs.

The problem for my generation is the Chinese Curse of interesting times; born too late to benefit from a simpler time in history and an organised structured society and too early to benefit from eventual formalisations in law and ethics created to prevent NTs abusing the freedom of choice given them by the demise of that (strict) society.

It is also worth noting that the idea that high intelligence or logical thinking or whatever being a side effect of AS is not the only theory; it may be the other way around or perhaps both effects stem from a common root.

I also object to SBC and his "Mind Blindness"; that's like saying a sighted person forced to live among blind people, with the death penalty if you take off your blindfold, is disabled because they lack the hereditary "feel around by touch" sense evolved by generations of people born blind.

As to whether or not to take the red pill:

• If my miracle cure for AS also magically rewrote history to give me 25 years of experience in an emotionally and intellectually (which for me is the same thing) rewarding job, a house with 20 years of mortgage payments on the clock, a circle of friends and a loving wife - then HELL YES!!
  • If my miracle cure didn't cure the AS but magically rewrote history to give me 25 years of experience as a microprocessor architecture researcher in a good university and as such better chances of finding friends and a wife from among the scientific elite (i.e. other Aspies and high functioning NTs) - then HELL YES!!
  • In the real world, it's probably too late; but NTs seem to cope with adversity and "starting from scratch" better than us, so a QUALIFIED yes.
Overall, then, YES.

90% of pregnancies that are discovered to be of a down's syndrome baby are aborted.

Thats a really disgustingly high statistic.

No I wouldn't want a cure for my son, he is perfect, every bit of him and his little quirks are perfect.

But my son is high functioning. DS is a child you can do anything with and bring him anywhere which is not what I could say abut our 2 yo daughter who is a NT 2 yo who loves to get up to mischief.

If i could cure the severe anxiety/depression and mental health problems associated with my Aspergers then i would.

i don't wish for my aspergers itself to be cured as to me that would be cheating, i wouldn't be overcoming my "inappropriate"

behaviours i would just get a quick fix. It depends on what the term cure means.

Im chelating and using dietary intervention to get rid of the negative aspects of my aspergers only.

Alexis

Yes. I swear these kids are sent to destroy us . At best compromise us . Someone said to me yesterday if you knew you'd spend your life 'clutching at straws' and 'praying you were psychic' , would you bother , given we only get one go at life ?