Brook

Following on from todays news..

This is so sad, I have no words to say how I feel after reading Ashley's story. I only hope that one day soon there will be more understanding and support for autistic children in the educational system.

Curra

Having read this I feel very sad indeed.My brother comitted suicide in the house we lived in in 1975.He had problems with his coordination which Cahms have said was probably DCD-he may also have had some asperger traits.He was very intelligent but was unable to cope with the stress of o level exams.His writing was slow and he could not plan his work well in exams.He hanged himself and my dad found him one morning.

I have only really come to terms with what happened in the last couple of years after a great deal of counselling.As I say D died over 30 years ago.I had never talked about it on the forum.I always hoped that things had improved enough so that noone else would ever feel that due to DCD or asperger syndrome they were in the situation D was.I would not wish the trauma and loss on anyone else.My parents never came to terms with Ds death.I feel very sad that things have obviously not improved enough for teenagers with difficulties.However this news along with the other reports today has made me even more determined to continue to ensure Ben continues to get appropriate support.Karen

The really sad thing about Ashley's story is the local education authority still hasn't learnt. There is still no autism specific provision within the LEA involved, the teaching staff have no asd awareness and they are completely unable to cater for bright pupils on the spectrum. Ashley was not an isolated case, this is my LEA and I know that there have been several other suicides amoung asd pupils still at school, that whilst shocking the LEA officials at the time hasn't brought about any changes.

Karen >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Karen, that is so sad >:D<<'>

It is shameful that things aren't getting better.

On a personal note, I have a young relative with AS who has never been given an appropriate education, as a young adult she has developed mental health problems and has made many attempts on her life...........its very alarming and a constant worry.

SV

it touched me deeply, my own son came very close to this on many occasions, my heart goes out to his mother, my admiration goes to her for speaking out and raising awareness.

my heart broke reading this story, bringing to the fore the fears I have for my darling M. I'm in the process of waiting to find out if the application for assessment for a statement will be accepted, but I'm not hopeful, as his SATS results are always very high, regardless of the stress & anxiety he suffers. The "I'm useless' particularly struck a chord with me, he did the bbc test the nation IQ test a week or so ago but couldn't grasp that a 9year old getting a 90 result was very very good :crying::crying:

I must admit, this is my biggest fear for Luke. He is currently only 6 and just starting year 2, but his level of intelligance is staggering. He is reading books way above his expected level, and his maths is also higher than the norm for his age.

School are saying he is coping ok, but we have noticed a huge decline in his behaviour since he started back. If he is going to find school more difficult to cope with as he gets older, how are we going to get the balance right between finding a school which will stimulate him and cater for his intelligence, but will also be able to cope with his increasing AS difficulties.

Stories like this are just so sad and do not help to give us confidance in what the future holds for our children.

This is so sad yet nothing changes - I do not know what has to happen before anyone listens. It is soul destroying to think that (Karen) your family went through your sadness and loss over 30 years ago and it is still continuing today - with no support, no help and constant struggle. A day doesn't go by where my 13yr old daughter wishes she was dead, or thinks that she's useless and stupid, the depression, sadness and loneliness surrounds her constantly - yet she has to cope like that.

If he is going to find school more difficult to cope with as he gets older, how are we going to get the balance right between finding a school which will stimulate him and cater for his intelligence, but will also be able to cope with his increasing AS difficulties.

This is exactly the problem that they're not getting right - and personally I see no easy remedy - the scale of this problem is at crisis point and the government/schools/teachers etc are not going to suddenly develop an understanding of ASD and obtain these skills overnight.

I think we can seriously write off any help or improvement for ASD children that are either currently in secondary education or nearing it - because unfortunately it is still too late for them.

Take care,

Jb

Karen,

>:D<<'> >:D<<'>

This is exactly the problem that they're not getting right - and personally I see no easy remedy - the scale of this problem is at crisis point and the government/schools/teachers etc are not going to suddenly develop an understanding of ASD and obtain these skills overnight.

I agree.

When educators stop taking the narrow view that "learning difficulties" and "academic potential" cannot exist together, and start understanding that children can have an advanced understanding of physics, for example, and yet still be struggling at school, and that school is the chief cause, then there might be a breakthrough. Until then the problem is always going to be shifted onto the health services or batted back to the parents.

As I think someone's already said in another thread, more money for SEN, although it would be welcome, will not equal better provision unless there is a shift in attitude.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

Karen >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I don't think any family ever gets over a death of a young person especially by suicide because there's always the nagging guilt "why couldn't we help them" but we know how bad depression is - its a damn big hole to climb out of and unfortunately many of our children go through hating themselves and their problems.

I worry terribly for my son going into high school next year - he's a bright kid but won't accept it and is so vulnerable and aggressive that I just know he's gonna have problems.

Let's hope the LEAs take heed this time :(

Thank you all for your >:D<<'> .As I said I had not talked about my brother on the forum before as I had not wanted to worry others.However as the problem of depression,stress and suicide amongst teenagers with DCD/Asperger syndrome is still with us I do not feel it helps to hide the problem.Karen

The story of Ashley is so so sad brought a tear to my eye reading it ,and a lump to my throat as i type.It is totally disgusting that children cannot get the support they need in their school years.K was only dx as autistic at 18 but as for school they catered for him quite well on the whole, but it was a special school for kids with learning difficulties and behavoural problems.It now that i find we have no supporytin helping him services few and far and between after 18.Lets hope things change soon in school provision.

lynn