ange

School detention advice

Hi

My son is 14 years old, and has autism. He attends a mainstream school. I received a letter today from school to notify me that Devin has a detention for 'losing his punctuality and attendance form' He has a detention next week, for 30 minutes.

Devin has had these letters previously, and i feel a bit annoyed. Devin has always struggled with time keeping, and organisation skills, which i put down to his diagnosis? I just think he should be given a bit of leeway, as they are aware he does try hard, but can't get his head around being organised.

My 8 year old (also ASD) also has the same problems.

I was just looking for a bit of advice. Should i tackle the school, or should Devin be expected to take the punishment?

I just feel it's not right. He has a differculty and is being punished for it!!

Thanks

Hi ange,

My daughter also used to get detentions for similar organisational problems, forgetting to bring pe kit, hand in homework, etc. They never actually had any effect in helping her to remember.

I agree that allowances should be made for your son. He's being punished for something he can't help, and it can't be doing much for his stress levels. How much support is he getting in general? It might be a good idea to make an appointment to go in and discuss this with the form tutor and/or SENCO see if there are practical things they could be doing to encourage him to improve his organisation and timekeeping. For example, does he have a locker at school? If so can he be encouraged to visit it regularly and keep things there so they don't get lost?

My daughter had one very understanding teacher who used to keep a spare set of pens and mathematical equipment in her desk to give L discreetly during the lesson if she had forgotten hers. She was still encouraged to try and remember her things, but little bit of forward thinking by the teacher prevented her from getting stressed during the lesson because she didn't have the right stuff.

K x

Ange

I feel very strongly about this. My son used to get detentions. Sometimes I managed to get him off by telling the school that they were, in effect, giving him a detention due to his special needs - i.e. they were punishing him for his disability. This is very unfair and discriminatory.

Further, schools often use the argument that they can't be seen to be treating some children differently to others - tosh! At fourteen his peers will be well aware that your son has special needs and understand exactly why your son should be treated differently - even if they don't like it.

I'd talk to them - at the very least it will make them think twice next time.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Barefoot

I agree with what others have said.It is wrong to punish him for what is a recognised part of ASD.I would ask to meet with whoever issued the detention to discuss his dificulties and explore how he could be helped to be organised.At least the school will be made aware that you are monitoring the situation.Also keep a record in case you need it in future.Karen

I also agree the idea of the punishments is to make the kids realise - no point if it's not going to have any effect is it, and to be punished for something they cannot help imo is really not on. How much luck you'd get talking to the school is probably (unfortunately) a whole other issue.

Look at the Disability Rights Commision code of practice for schools and, in particular, example 5.17e. This relates to treatment of a pupil with autism and awareness of how it effects them.

HTH

Edited by phasmid

Thanks for the response everyone. I've only just logged on and realised that i didn't enable email notification of replies :huh: !!

I've had a bit of a fighting battle with his High School since he started there. I have in the past complained about this (and other things), but like a similar experience to barefoot, i was told that they didn't want to make a special case and not give him a detention.

With regards to SENCO, we had a meeting about this and various other things and they couldn't really offer that much advice, because Devin didn't want to go to the Study Centre for extra help - he just wants to 'fit in' and because of previous bullying he didn't want added fuel to the fire from his peers.

I'm certainly not going to let this one lie though, and will contact the teacher (who is in fact his form tutor, and is well aware of his problems)

I've never been happy with the school. In year 8 he was suspended from school for setting off a fire alarm. He didn't actually set the fire alarm off (although he was present when someone else did it) but he wasn't listened too, and neither was i! One thing Devin dosen't do is lie...but i think a lot of teachers have a lack of understanding about autism, and how hard it is for a child with autism to lie!!!

I also tried to get Devin a Statement of Special Needs, but both the school and LEA didn't think he needed one....i think this is a shame because my 8 year old has a statement, and we are a whole lot happier with the way Harry is treated at school.

Anyway I've gone off the beaten track a little!!!

Thanks for everyones response. I will google The Disability Rights Commision code of practice for schools. I'm embarrassed to say i didn't know this existed!

ange x

Just to add, my son got a detention yesterday for bring in the wrong book (they're nearly identical books). This year we're encouraging him to take more responsibility for himself, including packing his own bag - so now he's been punished for something impossibly petty!

Then - a substitute teacher couldn't do the detention at the right time (break) and gave instructions about doing it at lunchtime, which my son didn't get the gist of - so he missed his detention. I'm going to be having a few words with school on Monday about special needs, and the need to make special arrangements to ensure a child doesn't end up being punished because of his disability. He has a really understanding learning mentor, so hopefully he'll help us sort this out without too much blood on the walls.

Elanor

I think that your son should definately be given some leeway here. These teachers at schools are so annoying, they make me so angry. :angry:

Most of them are so unsympathetic towards Autism/Aspergers syndrome, it's unbelievable! It is a disability, and therefore in some cases there should be times when there is a bit of leeway! I doubt they would give children with Downs' syndrome or cerebal palsy a detention for forgetting a book or whatever!!

Here is something that may help with organising homework, books, pe kit etc.

I don't know if this happens everywhere, for it didn't when I was at school, but every pupil at my 12 year old's school is given a school year planner (like a diary) at the start of the school year. In it he has his homework listed and the date it has to be returned by. along with any special in#structions from the teachers.

We check his planner every evening after school and before bedtime go through the following day's timetable so that all the correct books, equipment are in his bag.

A lot of the jotters look alike so we have each subject's books in it's own clear plastic wallet, with appropriate stickers on.

Mike

I am a teacher myself and I feel ashamed of my own profession. It is disgraceful to punish a child for something that they have a genuine difficulty with. How is punishment going to help. They should be looking for strategies to help your child. Would they punish a physically disabled child for not being able to climb the stairs?

I havent got time to read all the replies , but my 8yr old girl had similar issues (aspie & dyslexia) , we arranged a meeting between the head , senco , autistic trust representative and complex communications lady , we discussed what would and wouldnt be tolerated and the words BULLYING and DISCRIMINATION were used repeatedly , we told the school we would keep her home if teachers buulied her and discriminated against her , and we would get a doctors note saying she was suffering from stress due to bullying if the matter wasnt solved , also if it got to that point we would inform the local papers and MP.

She does not get punished for her symptoms of asperger's anymore.

I hope this helps , ive got to go and get her ready for school now , GOOD LUCK

K has detention today for this very same thing, I have refused to let him go in the past and ended up having a meeting with the Senco because I also felt that reasonable adjustments had to be had because of his AS.

Most of the time teachers dont recognise that AS is a disability - a hidden one at that so they dont realise that they have organisational skills difficulties.

Well, with the help of a written apology from my son, and a note from me, pointing out that asperger's and stress combine to make it dificult for my son to understand verbal instructions, the French teacher let him off the detention.

He then promptly went into science class - and got another detention for forgetting his book!

Elanor

Thanks for everyones help.

I wrote a letter to his teacher, and she phoned me this afternoon. We had a good chat, and we have both decided to keep the detention as it is, but instead of a punishment the detention is being turned into a positive! Her and Devin are going to make a planner - similar to his log book, but to be used solely for the purpose of reminding him what he needs to take to school - So I'm pleased with the outcome, at least i have made mine and Devin's voice heard, and hopefully her understanding of autism will improve, with a little bit of help in the right direction!

She is also going to review Devin's notes and have a word with SENCO to see if anything more can be done. So hopefully things are getting more on track!

Elanor, i hope you too can have a positive outcome on the detention front. I really feel for your son, he must be so frustrated.

So if someone gets off detention due to stress, any NT kid could say they have a lot of stress in their life and get off detention. A lot do have a lot of stress in their life. :) LOL, you guys will be famous for changing the school system... it's usually a loud minority that changes systems lately. :D

Edited by Anastassia Florinevna