Sign in to follow this  
Frangipani

Google Earth is a load of rubbish

Hi

I am interested in what you think.

I just typed in two areas of Sydney and the Google earth takes you somewhere out west about 30 - 40 kilometres off target from where the actual suburb is. :o

I typed in Oxford Falls which borders on Garigal National Park and Long Reef which is 1 km from there and google earth takes you out to the suburbia of who knows where in Western Sydney somewhere :rolleyes:

Try for yourself, type in some locations in UK and tell me if they come out correctly.

All I can say is what a load of rubbish.

:rolleyes:

Someone please tell me they are having the same problem.

:(

Edited by Frangipani

I checked it out about a year ago but didn't go back because it was a bit cr*p.

Gateshead, where I live, is a town in its own right but on Google Earth it was plonked in the middle of Newcastle city centre on the other side of the river. Loads of other things we looked up were completely wrong too.

However, dh's uncle in the US got some of the Google Earth extras and said it made a huge difference (don't know what they were). Our local park has been restored to its former Victorian splendour and he emailed my m-i-l to say he'd been wandering around and how nice it looked. Reckoned he could see people sitting in their cars, but he talks through is *rse sometimes so who knows. He'd also checked out the in-laws' new patio.

Win some, lose some, I guess.

Karen

x

Google Earth is pretty good for the Liverpool/Wirral areas, although the picture of our house must be a few years old. It seems quite accurate when you type the postcode in.

Simon

just downloaded it to check it out, it's pretty naff for my local area but i did spend a while checking out the pyramids, the sphinx, the collesium in rome etc (i've never been abroad, so quite interesting for me) so it was kinda cool for that.

I thought it was fab.... I managed to home in on the house we used to live in in California. I could even see the shrubs in the garden! When I searched for it I typed in the street name and it came up straight away with a list of 4 areas to chose from.

Some areas haven't been covered yet, where I live now is just a blurry gap, but you can see the power station 5 miles away very clearly.

Flora :D

Oh yeah Zaman, you can! Lol. :P

I love Google Earth, I am always checking out the posh areas, and seeing who has swimming pools. Try Beverley Hills 90210 and around there .... and dream! Very nice.

My Brother in Law's Dad didn't realise that some of the areas do not show up clearly .. he thought it was his PC and went out and got a new one - idiot.

I think some of the "i" information things are good - the ones that people post themselves of where famous people live etc.

Oh god, I sound like someone who reads "Heat" magazine - all that star spotting.

Did I mention I saw Tom Hanks .... oh look, I can't help it. :blink:

Oh yeah Zaman, you can! Lol. :P

Funnily enough Stephanie when I looked at your house there seemed to be a woman sat in the back garden with a pitcher of cocktails. Must have been next door, eh?

I think google is good too

I can see my house and my car in the driveway :lol: but I have completely changed my back garden the picture is obviously about 3 years old on google.

What I found a bit odd was I typed in a suburb and it took you at least 30 - 40 km off track on at least two occasions.

So it isnt totally accurate if you type in a location and allow it to scroll to it.

:)

Edited by Frangipani

Some of the pictures aren't that good, but some are extremely clear.

They have been collecting the pictures for years now, so some of them will be out of date already.

They have cameras attached to aeroplanes that are taking photos and it's getting better and better all the time.

Still can't see my house, but I'm not really sure you'd want to anyway.

I think I've mentioned this before but Google earth is so good for where we live that you can see the oil stain on the drive and that the back garden looks like the Clampits have moved in :blink:

But try looking for how close your apartments are to the beach in Portugal, or how to get there, and you're stuffed :wallbash:

Irrelevant when you then forget to take the address of where you're staying anyway :oops: ( my fault of course) OH just about to start ranting when I realised we were just driving past where we were booked in :lol:

wac