Sign in to follow this  
pingu

where does it end?

Hi Guys (and girls)

I know that many of you have bigger problems than me right now, but if i dont write down how im feeling im going to spontaniously combust :angry:

Tonight my eldest went out to his friends house (around the corner) He was gone about an hour when he rang me from his new mobile (which he got for his birthday) and said the following "we've just put out a huge fire and by the way ive been shot" :pray::wallbash::angry: ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

My first reaction was panic.. i found him hobbling down the street - (i still had the portible phone in my hand) and once i had got him inside it turns out that he had been conker picking at the nearby patch of land and on his way back saw 2 lads running off before comming across a fire in a bush (to those who dont remember, he is petrified of fire but still started one in his room 2 weeks ago - because the voices told him to). so he stamped on the fire with his friend and not even taking into consideration the dangers of doing so was chuffed when they put the fire out. Melted trainers and red leg to show for his herotics he then went to come home when he was attacked from behind by a couple of lads with "BB Guns" these are new to me but apparently they fire out ballbearings or something similar. he took two hits from point blank range and now has 2 big bruises as a result - i can only thank god they didnt aim for his face.

I have since explained (YET AGAIN) the dangers of fire.. although im confident this time he had nothing to do with starting it. and i have been in contact with the parents of the three lads involved, but it begs the question. what the hell is society growing into?? there have been all sorts of nasty things happen here and everywhere and along with everything else i feel snowed under with a protective need to care for my kids safety.

where does it all end??

Im fed up. sorry to moan. :oops:

Edited by pingu

Hi Pingu,

I've never heard of these guns either. It was a good thing his injuries weren't worse, with the fire as well. :huh: Glad he's home safe and that he coped with the whole situation OK. My son is only 9, so I don't have to face this kind of thing yet, but it is a worry.

K x

BB is short for Ball-Bearing, they are fired with compressed air and are intended for killing small birds and mammals. They are dangerous if fired at someone's head.

Not many people actually get how quickly shoes melt when you try to stamp out even a tiny fire with them but it's less than a few seconds. I'm willing to say that the boys with the BB gun likely started the fire and that it should be pointed out that Arson carries a life sentence, it's treated as seriously as attempted murder. You should proberly mention that to their parents if you think they could have been responsible. It can put the frighteners on them; your son has melted trainers, bruises from ball-bearings and I expect the evidence of a fire is still at the scene, those boys have BB guns, the police can put things together.

If the parents don't prevent this from happening again, it might be worth reporting this incident to the police. Although your son's story may not give them enough information to take action against these children, they may step up patrols in the area, resulting in either a reduction in incidents, or actually catching these children.

It's illegal for a child under 17 to use a BB gun unsupervised.

It's illegal for a child under 14 to use a BB gun at all.

It is illegal to allow a child access to a BB gun.

It's illegal to use a BB gun to cause injury to another person.

A BB gun is not a toy, it is a firearm. It is rare, but not impossible, to cause death with a BB gun.

Many people cannot tell the difference between a BB gun and a 'proper' gun. The police will send out an armed unit if someone calls them to report someone waving a gun about in the street.

Edited by Tally

It's illegal for a child under 17 to use a BB gun unsupervised.

It's illegal for a child under 14 to use a BB gun at all.

It is illegal to allow a child access to a BB gun.

It's illegal to use a BB gun to cause injury to another person.

A BB gun is not a toy, it is a firearm. It is rare, but not impossible, to cause death with a BB gun.

Many people cannot tell the difference between a BB gun and a 'proper' gun. The police will send out an armed unit if someone calls them to report someone waving a gun about in the street.

Thanks for all your advice. And thanks tally for the legal guidelines. I was tempted earlier to ring the local police force and ask them if it was illegal (only kieran started having a meltdown and that took over)

Thanks again for your continued support. i really appriciate it.

xx

We had alot of support from fire brigade a year or so back and they were excellant even I was surprised how quickly some fires can get out of hand, it's a real shock and it may help.

Try and get them involved as they also show bits on vids of how children innocently play with matches and then how quickly it gets out of hand.

Gald your son is ok. >:D<<'>

God im glad tom never ventures out. Hope your lad is better soon you must be so worried.