Sign in to follow this  
lollypocket

Using mats or hoops for personal space

Hi,

I have read somewhere about using a mat or hoop with an ASD child at school to help with personal space issues. I am going to provide a small mat for the school to use with my Son, but for the life of me cannot find anything in print to provide them about why it may be useful. I met a woman a few weeks ago who said she was using one for her Son, and although she hated the idea he seemed to love it.

If anyone knows where I can find something in print about this or hoops I would be most grateful.

Thanks

KW

Max (6) had one last year in Reception, it was actually a carpet square that he used a circle time to sit on for his own space. I have to say it was his LSAs idea and she just did it, but Ive got a feeling OT supported the idea. Nothing officially written down though. Sorry.

Jo

Thanks for the replies :D

I took it in this morning and basically said it was L's mat and L sits on it for circle time. Don't know if it will work - but it is certainly worth a try :pray:

Thanks again

KW

my son used one last year and it clears up all the confusion of where he is sitting or who he is sitting by.

Now he has a set place on the mat and no one sits in this area. that way no one nudges or annoys him.

Jen