eldars angel

New to the forum

Hi everyone, I do hope none of you mind my joining as I don't have a child or relative with aspergers but my dear friends son was diagnosed last week. As you can imagine her head isn't as clear as it usually is and she is devastated at the moment. I can understand from reading the forum and learning of the attempts on the site if your wary of me but I run my own forum for fibromyalgia which I live with and admin are welcome to visit to see if they feel me genuine. I want to support my friend but in order to do this I need to learn as much as I can about aspergers and this is the most informative and friendly site I have found. Would anyone advise me as to which posts are the best for me to start with, I mean to read the whole site but due to my fibro memory is not as good as it should be so would be greatfull for pointers as to the posts that are "must reads" for information on how to help my friend and her dear son. He is three years old and adorable. Thank you all so much I look forward to getting to know you all Rachel

Wlcome eldars angel. I'd suggest you just browse through the forum and get a general idea for now. If your friend has any particular concerns or wants answers to specific questions you could use the search facility or start your own thread. Lots of useful info. Try looking at the thread on DLA :-

Here

and

Here

A warm welcome to the forum Rachel :)

The forum is for anyone who is connected with ASD. Our members come from all areas, parents, carers, relatives, professionals, friends or anyone just wishing to know about autism.

I hope you find it useful, any questions, just ask.

Nellie xx

Hi and welcome.

My son was diagnosed HFA (High Fuctioning Autism) last year at aged 6, he also has a few co-morbids too.

This site has and still is a godsend when it comes to gaining advise from the wonderful people I share here with. OI can honestly say that had it not been for those here, I would never have pressed on for a daignosis as I had been told by my son's Pead that he was not ASD. :rolleyes:

other than reading the links that Tez posted for you, can I maybe suggest doing a search. Think up a word describing what you are looking for and type that into the search bar on the search page (link found at top of this page) and have a look through the posts there. That is how I first started gaining valuable information and it does help tremendously.

Can I just say, welcome to the site and I'm glad your friend has found a dear frind in yourself. not all friends are like you, nor family for that matter! LOL

Welcome eldars angel.I have also found the forum invaluable during the last year.I have found a very caring accepting and extremely knowledgable group of people.I hope you feel as welcome.Karen

Hello there,

Yes the diagnosis is crushing and it takes a while to come to terms with - some of us haven't even after several years. You can be in denial and it is like a whole grieving process that you have to go through once your child is diagnosed. She will probably be thinking the worst, and have her childs whole life planned out with the bleakest outcome imagined for a while.

Your friend just needs support, patience and understanding. She may also need to be reassured that her child is still her child whether labelled with a condition or not.

At this stage, knowledge is power - although don't get too wrapped in all the textbook stuff about autism ... you will see from the postings on here, how individual all the children are.

Hi Rachel and a very warm welcome

There's heaps of advice on here and your friend is more than welcome to join us too. Getting a dx hits everyone involved like a brick but your friend has to remember that her child is still the same person he was the day before the dx.

Now she can get the help she needs from all sources - make sure she applies for Disability Living Allowance for her son and that she gets in touch with the NAS to find out about Help! courses - they really are a godsend.

Look forward to reading your posts.

Hello Rachel, you're very welcome here. :)

As a starting point you and your friend might find this booklet useful.

If you're after facts, the National Autistic Society provide clear concise information sheets on all the basics: you can print off the ones which are most relevant to your friend.

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=121

Have a good look around the forum, and if you can't find what you want, please ask. :)

Kathryn

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, I am going to spend a while reading all that has been suggested so may be a little quiet lol, I am really looking forward to getting to know you all and will advise my friend to join.

hi

welcome to the site hope u and your freind find it very usefull . we r all here to support and advize were needed no matter what your circumstances ?. its a matter of awareness and the more people like your self on board the better ignorance of these problems can be very hurtfull to all concerned and your freind is very lucky to have you around at this time .

hope you find what u r looking for ,our son is dx aspergers 2 years ago now aged 8 it can be tough at times and the system sometimes can be against you but here you can get most answers to almost anything and there is always someone on hand to prod you in the right direction or to pick u up when all has fell apart around you

hope all is well at this time if you need answers just tickle your key board and someone will be along very quickly this is a great place to be involved with and the knowledge endless

bye for now paul &gemma

Hi,

Just wanted to welcome you and to say that your friend is extremely lucky to have someone like you >:D<<'> .

I'm sure you'll both find this site a great source of information, comfort and help.

loulou xx