Sign in to follow this  
invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Support for School Trips...

Our son has just moved to Middle School, age 9, last month. We deliberately got his statement updated ready for the change in structure and one of the things we had inserted was him needing support on school trips.

There is a big trip coming up next year which is very expensive and they need a non refundable deposit by end of next week. I asked about the support our son would receive on this trip and was told that we would have to pay for a TA to go with him because that was what an AS parent had to do the previous year on the trip.

There is another trip at the beginning of next month which I am told there will be TA support for. Would it have anything to do with maybe one is more educational that the other as it's a bit of a treat? It involved a 2 night stay in a London hotel and various trips out to places like the Theatre, Aquarium, Hamleys, London Eye, Science Museum and a couple of restaurants. He is desperate to go but we really are unsure because it would be a group of 1 teacher to 9 children.

I would like to know if anyone knows the position on this before I go barreling in at his new school (not wishing to upset the applecart etc) as this seems a bit discriminate?

Edited by invent 10 things b4 breakfast

Wow I don't really know just wanted to give my laywoman thoughts on it as I think i'm just about the only person still on here at this time ;)

Firstly just because another parent had to pay dosen't mean diddly..did they have a statement saying support was needed for trips?

Secondly if it's on his statement wouldn't they have to pay as it's a legal document?

thirdly even if they say well it's an optional trip he dosen't have to go on it - I think because of the statement he would legally have to have a TA with him to attend any trip and to deny him any trip whether optional or not because you couldn't pay for the TA would be disability discrimination, I would hope.

It might help others answering to know if the trip where they are funding the TA is optional or not?

My son being younger has only had little day trips, even still any parent could of said no to their child going so maybe all trips are optional if viewed this way in which case if they can provide TA for one they should for other (I got off track or back on track - however you see it ;)) anyway so far but the school have always provided additional support via the autistic outreach teacher in the first year and now via his own allocated 121 support worker.

I'm sure someone will have some proper answers that are at least more coherent than this (I really need to go to bed lol!)

I hope you find the answer and the school/LEA does have to pay for the TA it is totally unfair on your son and yourselves otherwise.

Lorraine

I would like to know if anyone knows the position on this before I go barreling in at his new school (not wishing to upset the applecart etc) as this seems a bit discriminate?

I have pm'd you with the email aady of the chap at AWARES 06 who is presenting a paper on disability discrimination - worth sending a copy of your post to him to see what he says?

NO YOU DO NOT!

What they got the other parent to do is nothing to do with you, and in telling you this they have breached a confidence. If the trip is open to all (and it MUST be) this includes your son. Are they charging other parents any extra for their chidren if they need support? I would have a look at the Disability Right Commission Code of Practice for schools (no link off the top of my head)...I am sure this scenario is covered. I'll see if I can find the relevant quotes for you.

Found this:

Education and associated services

4.23 'Education and associated services' is a broad term that covers all aspects of school life. This list exemplifies the range of activities that may be covered by the term 'education and associated services':

? preparation for entry to the school

? the curriculum

? teaching and learning

? classroom organisation

? timetabling

? grouping of pupils

? homework

? access to school facilities

? activities to supplement the curriculum, for example, a drama group visiting the school

? school sports

? school policies

? breaks and lunchtimes

? the serving of school meals

? interaction with peers

? assessment and exam arrangements

? school discipline and sanctions

? exclusion procedures

? school clubs and activities

? school trips

? the school's arrangements for working with other agencies

? preparation of pupils for the next phase of education.

4.24 This list is not exhaustive, nor is it intended to be. Part 4 covers all education and associated services that are for pupils and prospective pupils. It does not include other services that are provided to the public. These are covered by Part 3 of the Act. Where, for example, the school holds an open day, the parent teacher association holds a car boot sale, or the governing body holds a public meeting, such activities are covered by Part 3. The Stationery Office has published a Code of Practice which explains the duties in Part 3 of the Act: Rights of Access to Goods, Facilities, Services and Premises.

Contact the DRC,and ask them how they see the schools policy fitting in with the above.

HTH

Thanks Phas, I have contacted the DRC via their online form, could take 3 days to respond, so may ring them too. Where did you find that quote? Will probably need to be quoting it to his Caseworker on Monday morning :(

I don't want to get off on the wrong foot with the school but equally why should my son miss out. We have already said to him that he probably can't go and he is devistated :crying: It such an experience for them and I really don't see why he shouldn't enjoy it along with everyone else in his year. :angry:

Lorraine, I think all school trips are optional? not sure. The trip he's going on at the beginning of November I still had to sign a slip to say he could go and pay �6 towards it. I bet it is the money again, lets face it it usually is! because the London trip is �190. Now some parents will not be able to afford this trip and the choice is their to make but because I am prepared to pay the �190 he should be allowed to go, but I am not prepared to pay �380, our family could go on holiday for 2 weeks camping for that kind of money.

Ultramum, will email the AWARES 06 contact you sent me, be interesting to hear their take on it.

I agree with Phas!

The school can not do this,its blatant discrimination and whist you may not wish to offend them I think they really need to be told!!!!!!!

A quiet word with the sen governor should help!

In effect the school are saying that for a child without SN to go on the trip the charge is �190, and the charge for a child with SN is �380. That sounds like blatant discrimination to me.

The quote comes from the DRCs Code of Practice for schools. You can find this on their website via the link I put in my post, just follow the education links from their home page or search their site for their Code of Practice. If they think you have a case they will even fight it on your behalf.

Good luck. I hope he enjoys the trip when he goes!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! for bringing this subject up, my son has missed out on so much because i didnt know it was a possibilty.

Right... have spoken to DRC and basically the 1995 Act does not cover auxilary cover. However the schools do have to make "Reasonable Adjustment".

I am in a bit of an advantagous position though because I have cover for school trips written into my sons statement it is a bit vague (isn't it always). Luckily I am still in the proposed stage of the Statement and was about to finalise it when this happened so I have spoken to IPSEA. They have advised tightening the statement wording, (which I have just sent across to his caseworker for review) and then the school/LEA will HAVE to provide the cover! sneeky but hey, they'd do the same to us! :devil:

So a word of advise to anyone in the proposed stage of a statement, get something in there regarding school trips! and make sure it's nailed down. :wacko:

Right... have spoken to DRC and basically the 1995 Act does not cover auxilary cover. However the schools do have to make "Reasonable Adjustment".

Does this also mean that they don't have to provide TAs for after school clubs? Interestingly enough, when I told my son's school that it would be discrmination under that act, they suddenly offered to provide a TA for a club that he wanted to do :dance: .... and then I discovered the club wasn't even on anymore this year :crying: For a child who gets 30 hours 1-2-1 I would say NOT providing a TA would fail the reasonable adjustment anyway, but as you are just saying it doesn't cover them...?

I am getting confused now...

I put into the LEA the change I wanted in the Statement to reflect the level of support required and they have taken the opportunity to sneek a bit in!

It used to say "xxxxx requires support for school trips" which I guess would cover ALL trips, yes? but now I asked for a bit to be added about being no more than 3 kids in a group and the TA to responsible for his safety etc and the LEA have "slipped" in a very small word which changes EVERYTHING. Basically they have put "curriculum". Meaning that if the trip is not educational and is purely a treat then it does not count and support is not provided.

Now of course I am going to dispute this little word as it was not there before, I have mentioned to them that I'd spoken to the DRC and IPSEA, so they are aware that I know what I want, they will just wait for our response to the proposed statement, which of course is going to be NO.

Anyone able to help on the issue of whether they can discriminate between curriculum and non-curriculum trips?