Sign in to follow this  
Deblegs

Parents being involved in their adult child's life

Dear All

When we are 18 we are classed as mature adults, able to make wise decisions about our lives.

This is a different kettle of fish for an adult with Autism/Asperger Syndrome. Although they are classed as adults, the nature of their impairment means that they appear immature and they don't know how to make wise decisons.

Parents are not allowed to be involved in the affairs of their adult child because the child is an adult in age.

Well, there is a way that parents can be involved in their adult child's life.

If the adult child writes a letter giving permision for the parents or someone else to be involved in their affairs, then this is ok, the professionals will accept this.

From Debbie Hudson

Thanks for the information Debbie.

My daughter will be 18 in a few months and this is something I have to think about. It's a difficult balance to get right - between allowing freedom and independence, and giving support. I make mistakes all the time as a parent.

K x

thanks, my son had to write one for my GP surgery. now that he is at college he really does want to stand on his own two feet and as you say, Kathryn, it is a very difficult balance to find.

I want him to achieve independence and earn his own money, have a family, buy a house, whatever, maybe he wont fancy that, he might want to be something totally different. I would love to empower my son to make his own choice, I do not own him any more than my other non auti kids and neither do the services for that matter, sometimes I find it is really hard to get that message across.