Sign in to follow this  
oracle

Severe Autism or Core Autism

sorry do not know difference but what do nas say on this? or ARC in Cambridge, do they have a professional there who you could talk to on phone?

I haven't heard of core autism. I thought that kanner's, or classic autism, was when the child fitted the three sections of the DSM IV and signs were noticeable before the age of three years.

Hi Oracle

I've been rooting around - afraid i haven't come up with anything solid as yet - although, from what i have found 'core' autism does seem to differ from 'Kanners' autism.......

Off for another look...........

*Quick edit to say - you've got mail.....*

Edited by smiley

Off the top of my head, does it mean he presents as having severe autism but he doesn't have the full triad of impairments, so it may be something else masquerading as severe autism??

I may be totally wrong of course. Otherwise I haven't heard of the expression.

Lizzie

Have just googled and came up with this:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n09/hack01_.html

From what I can tell, core autism and Kanner autism are the same, as opposed to atypical autism or Autistic Spectrum Disorders eg Asperger syndrome (although that's obviously the other end of the spectrum)

For the child in question, is the second professional saying it is not Kanner's autism, although it is still severe ie it could be severe atypical autism?

The important thing is that, as far as the individual child is concerned and as far as intervention etc are concerned, does the distinction matter?

Does that help? I'm not sure!

Lizzie