Sign in to follow this  
smiley

How do i send PM's to email inbox??

Evenin' :D

I've been trying to send some of my PMs to my email inbox.

I go into 'My controls', select 'Archive...', and send as HTML AND have also tried the other choice.

Both times i receive and email - but it's just jumbled up numbers and letters... :unsure::wacko: ...

Not sure where i'm going wrong?????

:unsure::unsure:

Evenin' :D

I've been trying to send some of my PMs to my email inbox.

I go into 'My controls', select 'Archive...', and send as HTML AND have also tried the other choice.

Both times i receive and email - but it's just jumbled up numbers and letters... :unsure::wacko: ...

Not sure where i'm going wrong?????

:unsure::unsure:

Hi smiler... may be what you're trying to open them WITH... If you're opening an HTML 'save' open it with your web browser (internet explorer?) and it will look like web pages... If you're opening as 'importable text' in something like 'word' it's much harder to read the body of the PM's as you get all the 'coding' either side of it...

hope that helps...

L&P

BD :D>:D<<'>

:blink: Still not getting anywhere with this................... :wacko:

Either option i choose (HTML or the other one), the email that is send is just a block of mixed up letters and words - totally unreadable. Not sure where i'm going wrong...............?? :unsure:

Hiya smiles...

I don't generally back up PM's so haven't tried since we changed hosts AGES ago, but prior to that i always found 'save as HTML' worked fine you'd basically receive a document that opened in explorer and looked almost identical to when viewing online, apart from all posts being in a continual 'thread'...

Do they open in 'explorer' or are they trying to open in word or some other prog?

If you are just trying to back up a few, a workaround would be to copy/paste them into a text file (word, oo or wordpad), but if it's a whole batch that would be really labour intensive...

If they ARE opening in something other than explorer (do you use explorer as your main browser?) try right clicking on the text file and using 'open with' to redirect to explorer...

That's the limit of my knowledge, I'm afraid, but if none of the above are viable let me know and i'll try backing up my own in box (fnar fnar) to see if i can spot the/a problem...

L&P

BD :D

Do they open in 'explorer' or are they trying to open in word or some other prog?

The who and the what where?? :wacko:

Erm.....i send 'em.... It goes to my email inbox - i open email, and it's muddled.....????

If they ARE opening in something other than explorer (do you use explorer as your main browser?) try right clicking on the text file and using 'open with' to redirect to explorer...

:wacko::wacko::wacko: See above................. :hypno:

The who and the what where?? :wacko:

Erm.....i send 'em.... It goes to my email inbox - i open email, and it's muddled.....????

:wacko::wacko::wacko: See above................. :hypno:

Remind me tomorrow and i'll try to sort you out :D

For now, I've gotta get orf to bippity! :D

Hiya smiles...

Tried backing up from my controls and had no problem at all...

Assuming you are running internet explorer/outlook express:

I saved as HTML and the e-mail arrived within seconds - an automated e-mail with the attachement...

The attachment shows up as a text document with the 'internet explorer 'e' logo superimposed on the front - the document is named: pm_archive.html

if you double click on that it gives you a 'do you want to open this file' dialogue, giving it's name and a description as an HTML document, and if you click open it opens in your internet browser window, laid out as if you were looking at a 'thread' on a forum...

If you are not using Outlook express/internet explorer, try right clicking and using 'open with' to open the file in one of those programmes (be careful not to check the 'al;ways use this programme for this type of file' box though!)... If you are and/or that doesn't work (or if it lists the attachment as a MIME document instead of an HTML document) then my guess is you've got another piece of software or 'download manager' that's getting in the way...

MIME is pretty much how all internet mail is encoded, so that's not the problem in itself, but it sounds like you've got a prob with how it opens (?)

I'm already out of my depth, so if none of that sorts you let's hope someone a bit more techie happens along... what i can say is that the Archive system isn't the problem, so it's gotta be the settings or a piece of software your end :(

Some regular culprits for setting up new 'file associations' - CD/DVD burning software 'file managers' ... download managers generally....... Media players/managers......Quicktime players....

Don't think any of that is gonna help :( Know any 'fiddlers' - someone who'll nose around in all your software settings until they find out what the problem is? Probably one radio button needs a tick - but how/when/where/what?

L&P

BD :D