Sign in to follow this  
Kathryn

Help, I'm being squashed!

Every so often, the screen goes suddenly concave, like it's being squeezed inwards. It's happening once every couple of days - when I switch off and on again it goes back to normal. I've also noticed the occasional blob of greenish colour in the bottom left hand corner of the screen when I start up.

Presumably this means the monitor is about to pack up and there's nothing I can do except save for a new one? :huh:

If I suddenly disappear off the face of the forum you'll know I've been squeezed out of existence! :ph34r::huh::lol:

K x

You shouldn't need to save for a new one!

A decent quality second-hand 17" monitor off ebay should cost about a tenner or less, if you use the 'Find items near me' function you won't even need to pay carriage as you can go and get it.

PM me if you want help tracking one down.

Simon

As an alternative to eBay, try your local FreeCycle group - just ask if anyone's got one that they don't want anymore

If there isn't a group near you, then car boot sales always seem to have monitors for sale (just don't pay anything above �10 or you're probably being ripped off)

:blink: I think your monitor and my TV are in this together............ my TV keeps going green :sick: and strangely - the only thing that sorts it, is when i get cross and wack it!! :huh::lol:

>:D<<'>

Thanks smiley, whacking it - I hadn't thought of that! :lol:

L has an old computer in her room which is due for chucking out (we were given it and she never used it) so I might try the monitor from that if this one packs up completely. L thinks it may not be compatible though.

If that fails I'll try the suggestions here- (never done Ebay before but I suppose there's a first time for everything! :o )

K x

Hi kathryn...

two things that might help...

Firstly, if you're going concave, try pressing the buttons on the monitor to bring up the display controls and lightly 'tweaking' the trapezoid one... It may be that.

The other one to try is 'degaussing'... One of the buttons on the front of your monitor will make the display go 'ping'! (that's a technical term :lol::lol::lol: ) if you press it, which will demagnitise the whole thing. That can really give a tireed monitor a new lease of life!

Final thought as I wrote about magnetics: Have you bought new or moved your speakers recently? or put any sort of electrical field near the monitor? That could be it too... I thought my monitor was on the fritz YEARS ago because I was getting those sorts of problems. Realised after a couple of days that Ben had moved the low voltage anglepoise lamp a bit closer to see better, and that the problem only occurred when it was on... Moved it 2 inches to the right and bobs yer uncle: monitor still perfect!

If you've lost the manual and can't figure out the buttons on the front, see if you can find the monitor model (windows might be able to tell you or the label on the back if that fails!) and you'll probably be able to find instructions on the net :D

Hope that helps, and, er...... if it IS too much red - slow down a bit! :lol::lol::lol:

L&P

BD :D

The other one to try is 'degaussing'... One of the buttons on the front of your monitor will make the display go 'ping'! (that's a technical term :lol::lol::lol: ) if you press it, which will demagnitise the whole thing.

Degaussing - never heard the word before. :huh: I had to look it up in the dictionary to check you didn't make it up. :P It sounds like something Jamie Oliver might do in the kitchen. "First chop and lightly degauss the potatoes in a frying pan....." :lol:

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll come back to them if I need to try them. In the meantime Smiley's idea wins - my other half gave the top of the monitor a hefty thump and it worked! :lol:

K x

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll come back to them if I need to try them. In the meantime Smiley's idea wins - my other half gave the top of the monitor a hefty thump and it worked! :lol:

K x

**SMUG**

:P:whistle:

Hi,

We had this problem, and a friend said fans or speakers too close to the monitors with make them do this and go green.

Hold a fan turned on close to the monitor and take it away and you can see the green come and go.

Its the Magnets like Baddad said.

I almost ruined our Television by placing some huge speakers on either side of it. A constant green lit up the edges of the screen.

Move these things well away from the monitor and things should go back to normal.

:)