Sign in to follow this  
Canopus

Primary school websites

Many do nowadays.

I find my son's school website good for looking up vital information like term dates. It also has some useful links to educational websites where my son can find Maths activities etc.

I don't look at many other school sites, I think they vary in the amount and kind of information they provide according to who in the school is maintaining them, their expertise and time available, etc.

Do you have a particular reason for asking, Canopus?

Edited by Kathryn

Yes, I do.

The most common gripe with schools is poor communication. Kids are not good at bringing home letters, etc, so it is any easy way of keeping parents infomed (obviously providing they have a computer - which a lot do now).

We did a questionaire at the school where I am a Governor, and asked about use of a computer at home, and more than two thirds of parents woudl prefer communication by website/e mail (reasons included less waste of paper).

However some web-sites are very difficult to use, and some are not kept up-to-date.

It is an easy way to give parents access to Ofsted reports, the school profile, etc + parents looking to move into the area will get a lot of info about your school from your site.

I have a link which gives you the addresses of lots of school web-sites. If you want to browse some examples, let me know.

Karen

A friend with AS works for a struggling website company that is on the verge of going out of business. Earlier this year the company tried to target schools as a possible new market. The company identified the schools that don't have a website and sent out leaflets, but few schools showed much interest. The findings were that most secondary schools already have a website and consider it a valuable resource, but only about half of all primary schools have a website and many are out of date and incomplete. Primary schools often don't think a website is worth the time and trouble.

Perhaps if your friend could tell these schools WHY a website would be such a good thing to have, they might consider it. Using quotes from parents who do use school websites might be good for this (with permission from the parent, of course).

He should tell them what things he can put on the website, for example, things which would improve communication between school and parents. He also needs to make sure that updating it is very quick easy for school staff to do with minimal training - otherwise they won't bother, and then won't see the point in having it anyway.

It is sometimes difficult to get primary schools interested - they just think it will mean more work for them, It takes an enthusiastic member of staff or Governor to drive the issue. Schools are also limited in funds, so they often rely on a member of staff or a parent to set up the site.

It will become important for primary schools to have web-sites soon. Word of mouth recommendation counts for a lot - is it possible for them to do a website for one school and then use it to show other schools what they could have for �X? Or they could run some sort of competition to win a free web-site set up. What I wanted to know when we were looking to set up a web-site, was what you would get for �x or �y or �z and how much time it would take to keep it up-to-date.

Karen

I was quite excited when I found out that J's school would have its own website from September. It looks quite good too, and I was impressed when I found that all the class timetables were on. That'll help J with organisation, I thought - I'll have a copy of that laminated on the wall next to the door so he knows when he needs swimmign things, library book etc.

However... they haven't updated it since last year and the structure has changed, so it's not worth the bother. Think I'll have to go in and ask for a timetable proper, now that I know they do them.

Karen

x

I think part of the problem is that many LEAs will have their own in-house arrangements for getting the web sites built (or the school will have an enthusiastic amateur amongst the staff/parents).

Primary Schools are usually pretty strapped for cash and are very unlikey to be able to employ professsional web designer at commercial rates as they simply don't have that kind of money.

Simon

Has anybody ever investigated whether primary schools with high quality websites are more popular or provide a better service than schools that don't have websites? In theory a good (informative, well presented, and up to date) website will give a good impression of the school to future parents, whereas a school without a website could be seen as inwards looking and still relying on the catchment area.

Js School have a really good website and its up to date, it doesnt just help with timetables, days out and newletters but advertises latest jobs, requests of partent helpers, so it can be very helpful to find the right poeple who live locally.

the website includes other outside activities in its scedule too, it supports a range of photos that have to be agreed before going on and its regulary used by the kids as there is also games to play on it too, it supports links to other useful websites that link to specific subjects like science, maths, litriture.

I have often gone on to find out the dates of school terms, or sceduals, it is also great to keep in contac with the school via email as well.

The website is of high standards and quality and it reflects the schools commitment to good source of communication, and the Head teacher has high interests in ITC for the school and this is a good reason why it can be another supportive method for some children who like J find reading difficult, yet on a computer is is a wiz.

I defo promote the website and its very exciting to see the photos of the kids projects and crafts they have made.

Its great to recognise the achievements the school pupils have made and the forever changes in within the school enviroment.

I think it is very good for school to have websites and you can then also compare the different support offered to the children and sen children.

JsMum

I think its a good idea, and also having a link to something like buyat.com so when parents are shopping online the school gets money back. I find when I'm looking at schools down south for moving, its easier to have all their information there on websites which a few have, than have to go trawling through looking up ofsteads and stuff.

Lynne x