UltraMum

Drinking survey (... not alcohol!) for those on the spectrum

Just came across this on the NAS site:

Drinking survey

Responses invited to an online survey about the intake of fluids by people with autistic spectrum disorders

We are carrying out a study of problems of unusually high intake of fluids (water, fruit juice, fizzy drinks, tea, coffee, etc) among children and adults with autistic spectrum disorders, currently or in the past. Parents, carers or people with autism may like to complete an online questionnaire which will help to inform our research.

Some people with autistic spectrum disorders of all ages like to drink large quantities of fluids. Some have a preference for a particular type of drink while others are happy to drink anything that is available. Some drink a lot more when they are experiencing some form of stress. For most people drinking a lot of fluid does not present a problem but for some the amount they drink each day can have adverse physical effects. Very little research has been carried out on this subject, so we do not know why some people with autistic spectrum disorders drink a lot of fluid, how many do so, how much they drink and how many drink an amount that is potentially harmful. The question is interesting for various reasons, not least because this behaviour, which seems to be rather common among people in the spectrum, might have some link with the neurological basis of autistic spectrum disorders.

It would be most helpful if parents or other carers of children or adults who have never wanted to drink large quantities of fluids would also complete the first part of the online questionnaire, because we wish to get some idea of how common the problem is.

To complete the questionnaire, visit http://www.surveyserver.net/?f=1741

The survey runs until 23 October 2006.

Lorna Wing

Richard Mills

Edited by UltraMum

I've completed this survey on behalf of my son. He's always been able to drink after drink after drink. He's 17 now and still does it.

Annie

xx

I've done this one too - we had Logan tested many times as a wee one for suspected diabetes he drank that much. He still drinks a phenomenal amount but we know its just what he does now.

Lynne x

We have always had to persuade our eldest (28) to drink. He doesn't think to get a drink and never asked for one as a child. Without careful monitoring he would become dehydrated.

Nellie xx

We've also had G tested for suspected diabetes as he drinks a lot and has a massive meltdown if out and a drink isn't immediately forthcoming. I've learnt to carry a drink everywhere these days but usually still end up buying more.

I sent G on a school trip just over a year ago when this problem was at it's height with 2 biggish bottles of water - his rucksack weighed a ton and the teacher said he'd complained about the weight of his bag all day! I don't think she appreciated the alternative if I hadn't sent enough to drink. This was at his old school and I always felt that they saw me as neurotic and over anxious even after diagnosis - these days I'd explain the problem and let school sort it. I have learnt much since then!

Hiya,

I completed this survey as well. I have been tested for diabetes loads because of the constant thirst that I have.

I hate the feeling of dryness in my mouth and, while I can't say for sure, I do think that I might feel the urge to want to drink more when I'm stressed. I always have to have a drink with me, especially if I'm out and about. I wouldn't try to stop your children from doing this if this is what they want. There is nothing bad with having a drink on you at all times, it just gets a pain to carry it around sometimes lol. 75p on a bottle of water is, too me, far better than a meltdown in the middle of Marks and Spencers.

Though I would just like to throw a word of warning out there. I don't have scientific proof or any of that malarky, I just have my own experiences. Because the whole obsession thing I find that I become obsessed with one particular drink at a time. Diet Coke became the big nightmare drink for me and for years I drank upwards of 2 litres a day. In my own professional opinion as a human being, let alone an aspie, this is seriously not a good thing to do. Diet Coke has aspartame in it which I believe is an addictive chemical. Aspartame is also present in a whole host of things such as cheese, crisps, some chocolate, ready meals etc. I tend to try and steer clear of it because I had found, through process of elimination over the years, that this stuff gives me headaches and I become addicted. I honestly believe that Aspartame is the reason that you always fancy another packet of wotsits after you've finished eating one packet lol. Seriously though, for other kids with immune systems like mine/addictive personalities like mine (which they will have because of the obsessions) then I would try avoiding Aspartame and see what happens.

The same can be said about coffee and coke because of the whole caffine thing. I have to seriously monitor my intake and really try and be strict with myself. Anything over 3 cups of coffee a day and the next day I start to feel the urge to have coffee all the while. Because sleep is such a big nightmare for me anyway, as I'm sure it is with a lot of people with asds, obviously too much caffine is a big fat no no.

And the same again when it comes to citrus drinks. They have always made me hyper. So I've always tended to steer clear. Pure orange juice is tolerable though I can still get headaches if I drink too much.

So, yeah, I think the survey is super interesting as I've always wondered what's up with my thirst thing and have finally stopped worrying about it having anything to do with my health. And I would urge anyone who is drinking a lot of Diet Coke, and trust me there will be people out there so this isn't misguided because you wouldn't believe the amount of people I've met who are the same as I was, to think about giving it up straight away. I'm not going to lie, getting rid of Diet Coke was worse than giving up smoking. I had headaches, shakes, I felt like I had flu, had a temperature and was generally an upleasant person for 2 weeks. But the fact that this happened when I stopped drinking DC should be enough of an indicator to people that all is not quite right with that drink. I feel 100% better now I am DC free and can't stress enough how bad I think it is.

Right lecture over lol, I didn't intend for it to turn out like that, but I thought there might be other people out there who could benefit so there ya go.

Emily

xxx

My son is the opposite, he won't drink and has to be reminded. In the summer when it was really hot it was a nightmare as he wouldn't drink and if he gets dehydrated he drinks even less. I presume it is a sensory prioprioception thing

Lx

I drink very little and find it such a drag to carry fluid with me. I am very poor at making my self a drink - my husband always makes my coffee. I seldom feel thirsty.

Yoyo

hi i did the survey it was very simple to do.

T has always drunk very little. I was worried that he did not drink enough, but paediatrician said he woudl drink as much as he needed.

It was a shock when I had the Twins, as they never seemed to want to be without a drink in a beaker.

Karen

My 5yo will drink lots if he has his baby bottle but very little out of ordinary cups although he can use them perfectly well. He just doesn't want to. He will drink anything as long as it is in his bottle so I tend just to stick to water or rice milk. If he needs any medicine I put it in his baby bottle with a bit of water and he will always drink it. He likes his bottle with him most of the time and is regularly drinking from it. He doesn't take it to school though cos it gets in the way.

J needs to be reminded to drink most of the time - although just occasionally he decides to go for a marathon drinking session - possibly a sensory thing with the hyper/hypo coming in at differing times - perhaps due to stress?

have just completed the survey reece drinks gallons and wen hes stressed he drinks one after the other if he has an appointment anywhere he can continuously drink till its over

completed! :bat:

my son needs reminding to drink, luckily he will drink at school with the other children.I have nagged him all day about having a drink but he has refused, he had one drink yesterday and still has not had a drink today !

my son needs reminding to drink, luckily he will drink at school with the other children.I have nagged him all day about having a drink but he has refused, he had one drink yesterday and still has not had a drink today !

My son used to be exactly the same, he never used to recognise thirst, or hunger for that matter. You'd have to tell him to eat something or have a drink. Now that he's older, it's almost the other way, if you give him a glass of juice he'll swill the whole thing down without stopping and then will say his tummy feels funny! Even now he quite often says 'my stomach feels funny', and you have to guess if that means he's hungry or not, other times he'll say 'I'm hungry'! In fact, it's only the last two years that we've actually heard him say 'I'm hungry'!! Weird!! :P:blink:

~ Mel ~

My 5yo will drink lots if he has his baby bottle but very little out of ordinary cups although he can use them perfectly well. He just doesn't want to. He will drink anything as long as it is in his bottle so I tend just to stick to water or rice milk. If he needs any medicine I put it in his baby bottle with a bit of water and he will always drink it. He likes his bottle with him most of the time and is regularly drinking from it. He doesn't take it to school though cos it gets in the way.

Have you pinched my son :lol::lol::lol:

H is exactly the same only he will drink out of those sports bottle things ( like friut shoot bottles ) as well.

Clare