Sign in to follow this  
jenny1969

thinking of homeschooling

:D i have been thinking about homeschooling my daughter dx asd who is 6 i have been looking in to it for months now doing all the reserch i can about it i have done it before i had to homeschool my son at 13 for about 8 months until we found him a school that was suitable for his needs, i am just after advice from anyone regarding this how they have found it ? have they noticed a difference in their child since they have taken them out of school i have read of one parent who child went to school part-time anyone else heard about this ? i know i have to do something with her the school she goes to have done all they can to help my daughter its a great school the teachers do all they can for her but its just not working for her she just not thriving my husband sees it as torture for her she struggling so much with the school environment its affecting her ability to learn after she gets home from school it takes me about an hour to get her calm and back to her happy self my evening consists of lots of reading writing drawing painting anything that involves learning she is like a sponge she is like this everynight till she goes to bed about 10:30 even then when she is in bed she has to have lots of books and a dvd on but at least if i do this i have more chance of her staying in her room at bedtime. at school the teacher has told me that anytime they introduce new work she goes to pieces their is loads of things she does at school i dont have to tell you as you will all know what they will be, any advice will be much appreciated sorry i have gone on a bit jenny

:D i have been thinking about homeschooling my daughter dx asd who is 6 i have been looking in to it for months now doing all the reserch i can about it i have done it before i had to homeschool my son at 13 for about 8 months until we found him a school that was suitable for his needs, i am just after advice from anyone regarding this how they have found it ? have they noticed a difference in their child since they have taken them out of school i have read of one parent who child went to school part-time anyone else heard about this ? i know i have to do something with her the school she goes to have done all they can to help my daughter its a great school the teachers do all they can for her but its just not working for her she just not thriving my husband sees it as torture for her she struggling so much with the school environment its affecting her ability to learn after she gets home from school it takes me about an hour to get her calm and back to her happy self my evening consists of lots of reading writing drawing painting anything that involves learning she is like a sponge she is like this everynight till she goes to bed about 10:30 even then when she is in bed she has to have lots of books and a dvd on but at least if i do this i have more chance of her staying in her room at bedtime. at school the teacher has told me that anytime they introduce new work she goes to pieces their is loads of things she does at school i dont have to tell you as you will all know what they will be, any advice will be much appreciated sorry i have gone on a bit jenny

Hi Jenny,

My best advice is, if you are keen to HE and your daughter is struggling and not happy, then go for it!!

My son was just the same at primary school, he used to run around the room screaming and throwing things, he was so stressed. He had one-to-one help, but spent most of the time on his own with his TA. When she tried to get him to write he would just scream the place down, he wouldn't do a thing for them.

We tried going part-time for a year but it didn't help. In the end we took him out and home educated for the last two years of his primary time. The change was amazing. It did take a while to get into a routine and for me to find the best way of working with him, but it was worth it, it was the best thing we ever did and I ended up wishing we'd done it years earlier.

I was terrified of taking him out of school, to be honest, and that's why we put off the decision for so long. But if you are keen and want to do it, it sounds like you'll do a brilliant job and you could all be so much happier.

Very best of luck to you all!! :notworthy:>:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Has she got a statement and are the school really doing all they can, surely they could of suggested some home tutoring if this is the case, some children have part time school and have a tutor at home as well and the LEA pay for it.

It could be that school is just not the place for her, some children just can not cope with it, and if you can home educate then I would say give it a go.

J had a briefe time at home and his behavior dramatically improved, however I knew he couldnt stay at home for social reasons and I couldnt do it mentally and so he has gone back to a different school with a statement and he recieve support and understanding.

If your child has a statement then their is scope that home tutering might be an option, or part time placement at a special unit.

I think school is important and want J to cope at school but I listen to him and try and sort out any problems as they arise, and I support both J and the school.

J would like homeed just because then he would be at home.

There is some good websites out their one called education otherwise, a high proportion on their home ed because there children just cant cope at school.

Google in home education otherwise.

JsMum

I did home educate Luke from the end of primary school (I started some during the summer hols) untill now as the LEA were playing their games.

The difference in him is AMAZING, I am so glad I did it and am terrified he might go downhill again when he starts secondary school NEXT WEEK!!

But I have told the LEA etc that if this does happen statemented and eveerythign I WILL remove him and home educate again.

It was hard work, tiring etc but I know it was the right thing to do and I only wish I had done it earlier.

I hope whatever you decide works out for you and your family hun.

I think it is all a matter of nerves. The difference between the mainstream home schooling community and the SEN home schooling community is that parents of SEN kids worry that taking their kid out of school will be detrimental to their overall education, whereas mainstream home schooling parents don't.

Home schooling a kid of primary school age usually requires more effort than home schooling a kid of secondary school age because you have to cover more of the basic skills and they often require active teaching rather than autonomous learning. A question to ask yourself is how much stuff you learnt at secondary school you ever used or needed to know after you finished school. The answer is probably not a lot so in that case you shouldn't worry to much if your kid isn't covering the school syllabus. Most of the stuff you need to know as an adult they don't teach at school anyway and you have to learn elsewhere.

There was an interesting piece of news on Cefax yesterday and it's still there today, stating that many children in Mainstream Schools can not find the UK on a world atlas and that 20,000 children living in London have no idea that they live in the capital ohmy.gif Today we had a quiz with the local kids as my hubby and I are always the unofficial play leaders during school holidays. Our son was the only one of six children all either his age or older, who could not only find the UK but all of the Continents, (what's a Continent Matthew's Mam I was asked by three of them?) Not only that he found many other countries which most of them had not even heard of. Only last week two of them were making life difficult for Matthew by saying that his Mam and Dad were not proper teachers and he knew nothing hmmm unsure.gif He also knew that London was our Capital City and two of the six children were not even sure where they were living. Now that is food for thought?

I can believe this. When I was at school, the walls of the geography room were covered with maps so kids could find out where places are. I was recently at a school and the walls of the geography room were covered with pictures of starving African children. No wonder school leavers nowadays have little idea of where places are. I encountered a teenager with an A* grade in their geography GCSE who told me that Liverpool is in Scotland!

Hi Jenny,

I home schooled for a year, I was in dispute with the LEA, my son wasn't coping as the school were unable to meet his needs. I eventually managed to get the name of the school changed on the statement.

The one thing I found difficult was coping 24/7 for a year without any respite. The difference in my son was amazing he went from a child who was constantly ill to not being ill at all during that year, although he did miss not having a break from us. We had no support or family who could help. I'm not saying I'm against home schooling but I think parents need support to allow them and the child to have a break.

Nellie xx