loulou

Kai having his tonsils out on tuesday

Hi,

Kai is due to have his tonsils out on tuesday. He keeps switching from wanting to kill everyone at the hospital, to saying he wants them out so he is not poorly all the time.

He's also having his adenoids out and they are "trimming" his turbanates (sp?) up his nose to help him breath better.

We've been to look around the ward and he was quite impressed that they had PS2 and a pool table! Apart from that he says if anyone tries to put a needle in him he will kick them :( . He has a big hospital phobia since he's had 2 major bowel ops (understandable really).

I asked the doctor if he could hide in the bushes in the car park and dart Kai as we went passed (like on those vet programmes) but he said no! :lol: (only joking).

They said he can have a pre-med which should make him drowsy if he gets anxious. They are also giving us a side room to keep noise levels and stress to a minimum and hopefully he'll be first on the list. I told them if he has the chance he'll probably do a runner, so they'd better knock him out quick! (poor little man).

I've also bribed him with a new train, so fingers crossed i'll be able to get him in the building and into theatre :pray::pray: . I know it will make him feel so much better because his breathing is so bad. He's starting having sleep apnoea too, so he really needs this done.

I'll let you know how it goes,

Loulou xx

Edited by loulou

Good luck Loulou, hope it all goes well for Kai >:D<<'> >:D<<'> Sounds as if the hospital are taking positive steps to help you both, which is great :D My son had his tonsils and adenoids out when he was 3, and also had grommets fitted. It helped him a great deal. Take care x

hi lou lou...i hope everything goes well and your babe does ok after the op.do they still try to get the kids to eat cornflakes...yuk yuk yuk when anyone has a sore throat.thinking of you on tuesday.love noogsy

Best of luck to you all Loulou, hope it's not too stressful for you all and that your lad feels better very quickly. >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Wishing you both the best of Luck, its great the hospital are taking into consideration his difficulties and fears and understanding this, hopefully it wont be too bad, the icecream might persuade him to stay in the room afterwards.

Defo think he deserves the Train, even getting him their is going to be a challenge.

I think he is real brave and even big six footer rugby players flee at the sight of a needle so he has nothing to be ashamed about, I bet he is going to surprise us all and be a lion brave and strong.

On the internet there is some good websites for children who go into hospital, very interactive and fun may help him associate it a bit more, just an idea anyway if you need the websites let me know i will put a link on as they a pretty good.

Big fingers crossed for a successful appointment.

JsMum

do they still try to get the kids to eat cornflakes...yuk yuk yuk when anyone has a sore throat.

Yes they do! Crisps are the favourite, or toast or anything hard and scrapy to keep the throat clean...

DS2 had his tonsils out earlier this year, so that's all my lot now. The first thing he ate after the op was a biscuit - the nurses couldn't believe it! Most of them stick to ice pops for a decent few hours.

As Kai's already had ops, I guess you have an idea what he's like pre-op and post-op. HAve you got lots of his fave things? We took a portable DVD into the hospital so DS2 could watch his faves on it, although he could watch videos in his room, too.

I hope everything goes well for him and for you - I'll be thinking of you on Tuesday.

Lizzie x >:D<<'>

Hi

There is great book by usbourne. it is from the usbourne experiances range and called going to hospital if i remember correctely it is about a boy having his tonsils or addenoids out. I dont know how old your son is but mine is 6 and enjoyed the pictures and the conversations that followed about them. My boy has limited understanding of most things especially verbaly so the pics helped. i made it sound like an adventure and that he was getting to spend time with just me and how lovely was that!! ( he is one of 3). The other thing to be cautious of is that the pre med can sometimes make them become quite disturbed and a bit of a handful when they start to come around. Be prepared, my boy went loopey for 1/2 hr and then fell asleep for the rest of the day!

Good luck I hope you both get on well >:D<<'>

Hi

!! ( he is one of 3). The other thing to be cautious of is that the pre med can sometimes make them become quite disturbed and a bit of a handful when they start to come around. Be prepared, my boy went loopey for 1/2 hr and then fell asleep for the rest of the day!

Good luck I hope you both get on well >:D<<'>

Yes I have friends who children went a bit bizare and they too had ASD for some children they can be sensitive and some times the side effects include anxiety, agitation so do be aware.

especially if your son is hypersensitive, then the increase is even more.

JsMum

hi Loulou :)

Just to let you know that India had her tonsils and adenoids out in june and i was dreading it,but it really wasnt as bad as i thought it would be,the staff were brilliant and kept Indy's pain relief well topped up and let her go to sleep with just the gas as she is needle phobic,i found being very honest with Indy helped her to be prepared and we talked about it alot beforehand,the worst time was when she came round in recovery,that was pretty horrible :crying: All in all though she managed to cope with the whole thing really well and she has been so much healthier and sleeps a million times better since having it done,best of luck,i hope its a positive as it can be for both of you x

I HOPE ALL GOES WELL REECE HAS HAD HIS ADENOIDS DONE TWICE AND THEY TOK A TONSIL OUT HIS LAST OP HE WAS ONLY A BABY AT THE TIME. AND SLEEPS ALOT BETTER NO WATCHING HIM EVERYTIME HE WAS ASLEEP OR PUTTING HIM ON CPAT OR OXYGEN. IM SURE HE WILL BE FINE GOOD LUCK >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'> :pray::pray:

Hi everyone,

Well, we made it in one piece (just). Kai is back at home, although only because i fibbed to the doctors and said he was eating and drinking, which he is not :shame: . I just had to get him out of that place because it was stressing him out. I thought he would eat and drink at home, but so far he hasn't. He hasn't had a drink for 31 hours now :( .

I've tried offering ice lollies and the threat of going back to the hospital for a drip but he's not budging. He's not dehydrated yet, so i'll keep working on him.

The op went ok, apart from the fact that they messed us about for 2 hours arguing over which pre-med to give him. He ended up having 2 Temazepam (sleeping tablets) which sent him totally loopey, not at all sleepy. He was climbing all over the bed like a wild animal and talking nonsense. After his op he slept nearly all day and night, so at least he is rested!

Loulou xx

loulou, >:D<<'>

Glad to hear your back home, I bet you're both glad it's over. You have my sympathy, my son refuses to drink when he's ill, the more pressure you put on him the more he digs his heels in. Hope things improve soon.

Nellie >:D<<'>

Edited by nellie

Hi

Fantastic! Glad things went well. You did the right thing getting him home. He'll be more comfortable and more relaxed. I had my tonsils out when I was 28 and felt pretty rotten for a week before I started to feel better. I'm sure he'll drink when he feels like it. I remember having soup and yoghurt through a drinking straw!!!

Caroline.

Hi Loulou,

Glad you're both home and that it went OK >:D<<'>

I hope Kai manages to drink something soon, it must hurt.

K x

Hope he eats and drinks soon for you - when G had his tonsils / adenoids out at 4 we were kept in the ward long after the other children (they seemed to do them in bulk!) were discharged as he simply refused to eat. He was hungry too but as soon as he tried a bite and realised it hurt then that was that.

It's hard - maybe try and keep his pain medication topped up. The worst times for us were when G woke in the first few mornings - he was in agony but sleeping due to the codeine so I'd try and wake him early get some medicine in him (a job in itself!) and let him go back to sleep while it kicked in. G had codeine, calpol and ibrufen and it was really worth spreading them out so he was getting the max dose of everything in the first few days.

Also, you'll probably be doing this already but offer food and drink maybe 1/2 hour to 3/4 of an hour after he's had his medicine.

I know it's hard to get them to understand that they need to eat and drink because it hurts - with us threats made no difference whatsoever. We even went to Asda and bought loads of rubbish that he's not usually given - junk food and drinks that he's usually dying for. They didn't even tempt him! But eventually he did (probably a week after everyone else who'd had the op!) and was fine.

Might a social story work?

we found mac thick milk shakes help to reduce the inflammation in the throat and aided the discomfort

Jen

hi hun im glad everything has gone ok..i would just get your babe nice things that you know he will eat,ice lollies ,icecream,nice yogs(no bits),pan of home made soup......and hopfully he will be feeling better in a few days..love noogsy

Glad the op went OK - hope kai is feeling more like his normal self soon. :pray: he'll be eating and drinking normally soon and that it will all become a faint memory for him

Hi all,

Thanks for all the good vibes. Kai has eaten and had a drink (finally!) :clap::clap::clap:

I told him his bladder and his tummy were getting very upset about being empty (he's really into anatomy) and that seemed to do the trick! He's still feeling very poorly and has been lying on the lounge floor in a little "nest" i made him all day. I'm sure he'll be back to his cheeky and hyper little self again soon!

Loulou xx