Sign in to follow this  
JsMum

Its a small world

I have just purchased a climbing frame from a lady and as we sorted out delivery we got talking and explaining why I needed a climbing frame I explained that J is climbing everywhere and so thought a climbing frame would interest him more than the shed roof and shimming down his bedroom window.

The lady said she has a son too and knows what boys are like, I shared with her that J has ADHD and suspected ASD, she then said that she strongly suspects that her son has the same difficulties.

so when we met today she gave me her contact details and we are going to keep intouch, funny isnt it where we meet other mums going throw similair things, she was really friendly and her family where lovely.

I cant believe what a small world it is, and how a climbing frame found me a new friend.

Have you had similair experiences, have you unexpectingly met other mums/parents going throw similair situations and stayed intouch?

Anyway Js new climbing frame is in his garden, he even played on it in the rain, nothing at all stops this kid!

JsMum

Edited by JsMum

Hi Jsmum

No I haven't had that happen.

All I ever seem to get is the opportunity to explain waht ASD or whatever is.

Today I told someone who has known me and the children for 10 years the my DD has just had a Dx and that she is on the Autistic Spectrum, she then asked what sort of medication that was. :blink:

... Rolls eyes back and lets out a huge groan! ... :wallbash:

Glad to hear that you made a new friend though! :clap::dance::thumbs:

I've had a couple of experiences where I've mentioned ASD and the other mum als has kids on the spectrum, then there's an instant exchange of info and a kind of instant bonding and understanding.

One mum who was about six months ahead of me in getting dx for her son, same age as DS2, gave me loads of contacts about benefits etc, and another mum who I met through nursery school gave me info about Statementing. All of that was hugely helpful, cos I didn't know anything back then.

I hope I've managed to do the same for a couple of people who are similarly just behind us in the dx process. Knowledge is power!

Lizzie :dance:

i was in greece last month and a woman on the sun lounger next to me was telling me about her son whose 13 called steven who has aspergers,she was on her first holiday without him,he was overweight and very aggresive,well it could have been my life she was talking about :o she also got very stressed like me and said she shouted a lot!!! so yes it is a very small world

>:D<<'> nice story. wish i could meet someone in those circumstances but the only lady i met who has a child with AS asked does yours do this and that?, like he was the family dog. she called her sone mine and not by his first name i couldnt get along with her at all, she seemed to think her son was a nuisance more than anything and she said make sure you claim all your benefits it makes it worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :huh:

That's nice JsMum :D

I one of those nosey b*ggers chatty peeps who always ends up talking to everyone and anyone :rolleyes::lol: .

So far, i've met a lovely lady who works in Wollies and helped me whilst i was looking for glow-lights etc...etc for M's bedroom. She gave me a wink and told me to come back the following week - as they would be on a three for two offer :lol: . She then began to chat about her son........... AS.

I've met a guy in Tescos (of all places!) who was a great help when M go stuck in a railing (don't ask!! :blink: ). He began chatting about his son....... ASD.

I've met a lady in Clarks who served us - she began to talk about her grand-son....... AS.

The list goes on!! :wacko::wacko:

I never start the conversation about AS.......it's always begun by the person i've met. It sometimes gets me down, as M's problems must be so apparent to others - it's easy for them to 'spot' :( . But, they've always, always been very kind and understanding :) .

I once approached a lady who's child was having a meltdown and asked if she wanted any help. She burst into tears and hugged me :tearful: . She's now a good friend :) .

Whenever I mention to strangers that my son is autistic (usually when apologising for his behaviour), first they are nice about him pinching them or whatever else he has just done, then they ask me what special talents he has. Because as everyone knows all autistic children are artistic or musical or mathematical aren't they !!! I then have to explain that people like rainman are in a minority. :tearful::tearful: