Sign in to follow this  
tmf

Bottom Obsession?

Hi

I don't know if any1 else's child has or is been thru the same thing as ds. He has an unusual fascination/obsession with bottoms.

If his dad is asleep in bed (he sleeps with no clothes on) and the covers are of his body he just stands there and stares....

Thing is it has got so bad that i got called in2 the school coz he was putting his hand down skirts/trousers and touhing bums.....u think that is gross, i can no longer let him play unsupervised, he now trys and smells their bums.

No matter what i have done.....lost it with him, tried explaining in soo many different ways about how it is not acceptable....nothing is working and his obsession is getting out of control......

I have tried social stories, role play and nothing is sinking in that this is wrong.

Any advice, coz this is now getting embarassing in the playground, l;uckily the children he has done it 2, the parents have been informed of ds syndrome and they understand.....

HELP>>>>>PLEASE :crying:

tmf

xx

Hi

Oh, that's a really difficult one. I've noticed that my son touches himself and sniffs his fingers afterwards. This is a frequent occurrence. I'm concerned about hygiene. I'm trying not to make a fuss in the hipe that he'll grow out of it. That said, my son touches lots of things and then sniffs his fingers. I guess it may be a sensory thing. Sorry, can't think of how you could get round that one. I'm sure I read about someone else's child on the forum doing something similar. Might be worth doing a search. Have you spoken to CAMHS for advice? It's worth bringing it up because had your child been a few years older he may have got into trouble (although clearly there's no intention to harm anyone!).

Best wishes

Caroline

What about getting a childs all about me book and talking about bottoms and looking at pictures. Try and demystify the bottom! try to make it very clear that we all have them they are for poohing and thats it ....very boring really. Let him keep the book and look at it if hes feeling curious again. Rather than saying what we musn't do try letting him overdose on the fascination but by using books. He may eventually get bored? I dont know if it will help but might be worth a go.

My boy has obsessions like harry potter or herbie and we try to let them run there course but bottoms is a different ball game!!!! See if it will run its course but through a book. >:D<<'>

hi there, i found out my son has an obsession with bottoms after we went on holiday and i gave him a cheap camcorder for whilst we were there.

well we came home and all through the video was bottoms!! mine in particular. shots of me close up from behind, sat on a chair and my big bottom spread out on the chair lol, his bottom, his brothers bottom, his sisters bottom and a collection of strangers bottoms!! just strange!! made me giggle though!

sorry have no idea what else to say or what to suggest. i suppose just keep reinforcing that its not quite acceptable to look at bottoms and maybe using visuals or social story.

thought this would be a strange one....in fact shocked some1 else experienced it or something similar!

What about getting a childs all about me book and talking about bottoms and looking at pictures. Try and demystify the bottom! try to make it very clear that we all have them they are for poohing and thats it ....very boring really. >:D<<'>

Done this.....well partly anyway. After original post i actually went down the route of what it is for, sitting on poohing ect in the hope this would have some desired effect. I have tried ignoring it hoping it would run its course, but now it has reached school level, feel i can't.

he has a book on human body, so will start reiterating with detail about a bottoms function/purpose.

Thanks for help.

tmf

is there any way you can divert the interest to another part of the body? am a bit stumped with this one. if it makes you feel better, i have a friend with an aspie son who has a thing about boobs....... :whistle:

Could it be the reaction he gets that is reinforcing the behaviour? There was a child at my DD's school who was obsessed by bottoms, and would "goose" any ladies whom he caught unawares. As lots of our mums were devout Islaamic ladies in burkhas, this caused much consternation! A decision was taken not to react when he did this, and all the parents were told not to make any reaction whatsoever if this happened to them, and within less than a month the behaviour stopped and has not so far as I know recurred.

Could it be the reaction he gets that is reinforcing the behaviour? There was a child at my DD's school who was obsessed by bottoms, and would "goose" any ladies whom he caught unawares. As lots of our mums were devout Islaamic ladies in burkhas, this caused much consternation! A decision was taken not to react when he did this, and all the parents were told not to make any reaction whatsoever if this happened to them, and within less than a month the behaviour stopped and has not so far as I know recurred.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: SORRY CANT HELP IT! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TMF

I don't have any practical advice, just to let you know tho that this may not be as unusual as you think.

The Boy went through a phase of just HAVING to stroke any woman's bottom in the vicinity. It got really embarrassing in queues, you'd get the woman in front of you turn around with a really cross face, see me (rather than a bloke), look puzzled for a second, look down and see The Boy gently stroking away with a blissful smile on his face.

Luckily all the women he did it to laughed about it. :o

I found it reasonably ok to control, just tried not to stand too near to any ladies :blink: . He did eventually stop doing it - took about 4 months tho.

Best of luck resolving this one!

Tom does the sniffing thing too but its with his willy not bottom, as hes 13 its getting a bit embarrasing at one time he had his hand down there all the time, but now its not so much, although he does it at meal times which is a bit off putting!

Hi

I don't know if any1 else's child has or is been thru the same thing as ds. He has an unusual fascination/obsession with bottoms.

If his dad is asleep in bed (he sleeps with no clothes on) and the covers are of his body he just stands there and stares....

Thing is it has got so bad that i got called in2 the school coz he was putting his hand down skirts/trousers and touhing bums.....u think that is gross, i can no longer let him play unsupervised, he now trys and smells their bums.

No matter what i have done.....lost it with him, tried explaining in soo many different ways about how it is not acceptable....nothing is working and his obsession is getting out of control......

I have tried social stories, role play and nothing is sinking in that this is wrong.

Any advice, coz this is now getting embarassing in the playground, l;uckily the children he has done it 2, the parents have been informed of ds syndrome and they understand.....

HELP>>>>>PLEASE :crying:

tmf

xx

I agree with Emum, that it could be the reaction he's getting that he might enjoy. There's a little boy at my son's school who loves to stroke people's bottoms and I think he likes it because it's a bit naughty and he knows it gets a reaction ... especially from my son, who goes bananas when he does it, and of course he does it all the more to him then!! :P

~ Mel ~

Hi, I appreciate this post was so many years ago but anyone who experienced this can you tell me what the outcome was. We have just been referred to social care as our son is currently smelling bottoms at home and told staff he sniffed his sisters bottom while she had no clothes on. He is very sensory driven but there is definitely something about the reaction he gets and this encourages it. I've tried body books and being firm etc but it's not sinking in. It's an obsession that will pass I have no doubt but in the mean time I have to face social care!! Any help greatly appreciated!