Sign in to follow this  
opheila

vallergan syrup

Can anyone tell me if your child has been subscribed this medication before. I had to call NHS 24 last night due to L having a totally melt down with the fire works. I have never known them to have been as bad as what have been this year. Any way they sent a note to doctor explaining how upset L was and the doctor has given me this medication to help him to sleep. Howerever is say's it is an antihistamine, When i asked the doctor about this medication she said this was all the could give me because of his age.

Yes it is, my son was given it as a baby (slept 4 hours max in 24) and it didn't do much unfortunately, apart from make him grumpy the next day, but some parents use it with success. It's given as a pre med still I think in hospitals.

J had it up until he was 7 1/2 ... doesn't do much for the teeth :( but does help with sleep at night :D - i think J had Vallergan Forte ..

I gave it to my son when he was 3, but it left him with a sort of hangover, so he was very difficult to manage the next day. A nurse friend of mine said it is a bit like drinking alcohol - you might feel ok the next day if you sleep long enough. It did make him sleepy but he still got up very early. Have you ever tried melatonin?

I gave it to Bill when he was 2 (he had chicken pox)... NEVER AGAIN :shame::o He had the adverse reaction and didn't go to sleep ALL night... he was awake until 9.30am when he fell asleep in the car. Phenergan has the exact same affect on him.

It should come with a written warning (infact I think it sort of does does :rolleyes: ).... 'causes drowsiness...unless you've got one of 'them' kids' :ph34r::lol:

Flo'

hi i didnt know he could get melatonin the doctor said because he was nearly four this was all they could give him. I gave it to him last night but he was still up at the crack of dawn. However it is the longest sleep i have had since thursday

hello my daughter was prescribed this by her paediatrician a few months back,

the first time she took it it didnt do anything that night but she was asleep the following day for

most of the day.

He wont give it to us anymore as he says its not good long term but when we go back im going

to ask him for melatonin.

My G was on this for over a year when he was 4 - 5 ish. This was for his severe eczema (we were given it before his AS was diagnosed). He did sleep through but was in a deep sleep, often wet the bed and was difficult to rouse the next morning. At the weekend he'd sleep until 10 if left.

The biggest problem we had was that once he stopped taking it (excema improved) he didn't sleep! Prior to that he had been a fairly good sleeper without any medication so I partly blame the vallergan for messing up his sleep (although that could have happened anyway)