Sign in to follow this  
aloneinthedark

Adderal problems and is there anything holistic for AS?

When I was 17 my parents put me on adderal and I had a mild heart attack from the medication bevause of already existing heart issues.

I haven't been on medication since. I am now married but have noticed some OCD issues along with my AS so my question is there a herb etc that is helpful. I am a artist by trade and I did try a ADHD herbal treatment and had a heck of a time trying to come up with any ideas for my work. So shortly after I went off it.

have you tried to get CBT for your ocd? i was at a meeting last night organised by northants autism society, and one of the doc's from the hospital came and did a talk and was saying that as far as he is aware there is no proven remedy for AS.

Just suggestions as I am aware that ocd is a reaction from anxiety and to help reduce anxiety its relaxation and exercise that helps.

so these are what I have done with J.

yoga

swimming and cycling or if your up for it a daily run.

I am starting my running programme now.

massage if you can cope with touch, or a remedial massage, this is more a sports massage and a brilliant stress buster.

relaxation cds on an evening, followed by a very detailed and structured bedtime routine, so like a bath, then supper, then cd and then just relax in bed. hopefully then as well you will sleep better!

physical exercise and relaxation go really well together, and help reduce Anxiety.

CBT is another really good idea as well as other courses too that looks at anger/stress management.

what about a whole well being residentail course, they are on the internet and really great idea for a good break away too as well as meeting new friends though I understand that this may be very difficult to have a try if your ocd includes social difficulties, but its worth a mention if you like the idea.

then the obvous dietary changes, less caffine, sweeteners, e numbers, colorants and additives, and eat a healthy ballanced diet with enphasis on hydration and drinking plenty of fluids. No not the alcoholic kinds[/i

Just suggestions that I use for both J and myself but it can be hard work.

JsMum

Hi,

I'm an adult with ADD and take Ritalin, I have heard so many people complain that Adderal helps some of their ADD traits but have lost their creativity.

Could your doc maybe suggest a different medication for you to try. My son Dan has Aperger's and takes a small dose of Risperdol and he's coming on in leaps and bounds - Maybe worth having a chat with your Doc B)

Best Wishes

Rach

When I was 17 my parents put me on adderal and I had a mild heart attack from the medication bevause of already existing heart issues.

I haven't been on medication since. I am now married but have noticed some OCD issues along with my AS so my question is there a herb etc that is helpful. I am a artist by trade and I did try a ADHD herbal treatment and had a heck of a time trying to come up with any ideas for my work. So shortly after I went off it.

Hi

Adderal is a treatment for ADHD, and risperidone/risperdal is a treatment (not cure) for anxiety and aggression in AS. I'm not sure that either are suitable for treating OCD.

I'd recommend you to speak with your GP about the OCD, and he might be able to suggest something herbal - he might suggest an antidepressant, to help with anxiety. Given your heart condition, you clearly have to be really careful about anything that you take. However, if your GP is ok with it, you could consider St John's Wort, which is a herbal treatment for depression/anxiety. It's very mild and I use it from time to time when I'm feeling a bit too low - it does work for mild depression, and I didn't notice any side-effects.

But once again, please be cautious in taking anything at all when you have heart problems.

Elanor