Sign in to follow this  
jenny1969

homeschooling for the time being

:D just to say i havent sent my child back to school yet due to her being so upset at the thought of it, she is stuggling to cope with school and school is making her behaviour at home worse, i made an emergency appointment with paed and got a cancellation wed told him everything he got on to school straight away and asked for her teacher to phone him back when she is free on his mobile and he is sending her back to see the psychologist.

this week at home we have been doing work i bought work books and a world map off the internet so we have been doing maths and english before lunch then after lunch we read then a bit of work on the pc then she picks what she wants to do go out for a walk,library,painting that sort of stuff she loves looking at the world map she has been a joy all week she is like a different child.

the only thing is until i see the psych do i send her back to school or do i keep her at home the paed did say that the psych needs to go into school to watch them with her he said they are not dealing with her needs properly and we need to find out what is going on i did tell him i feel like i am kept in the dark about her the teacher will say she has had a good day then i am told off her class mates your little girl has been crying alot today.

if i do keep her off for a while do you think i should see the head teacher tell her what is happening and do you think i will get into trouble off the welfare officers, i hate all this not knowing what to do all i know is my child is at rock bottom where school is concerned and i feel i need to do something i feel like a little fish in a big pond at the moment but any advice you can throw my way i need all the help i can get jenny x

Put something in writing to the head and keep a copy - recorded delivery might be a good idea.

If she's definitely not going back to that school then send a de-registration letter - there are examples on the Education Otherwise website.

But it sounds like it's only meant to be temporary, so if education welfare do get in touch, you can always ask them to contact your paed or whoever to confirm what is happening - i think you are always halfway there if you can manage to sound confident and not be intimidated by them.

Hope it all works out

natasha

You will need to get a letter from the Pead or your doctor saying that your child is unable to attend school at the moment due to her ill health. I strongly recommend that you do this even if it is a short term arrangement - without this letter your child will be marked down as a none attender and you will get a visit from an EWO sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps.

Oracle

Hi Jenny,

I agree with Oracle, getting your child signed off unfit for school will give you breathing space and mean she is not off school unofficially.

Good luck!

Nellie xx

I agree also to get a sicknote for her because when i did the same in March 06 I was going to be prosicuted for J missing 10 sessions of school, each day off represents 2 sessions, after 10 the school can issue you a penalty, thankfully I had the full backing of the Educational welfare boss who understood the situation, and the penalty wasnt issued, but in a report it states in it that I recieved a fixed penalty and its a real black spot even thought it isnt so.

Also keep a diary and keep times and keep a portfolio of all the work she does using photos, bus recietes, leaflets of local visitis ect.....

I got J into a smaller school and he recieved a statement and now has support and understanding and his progress and transformation is outstanding, he still has difficulties but we solve things as they happen.

everyone is clearer about the fact J doesnt have a fixed penalty but its done now and mud sticks.

J has an excellent attendance now and very rarely late, and if he is the headteacher knows their is a very good reason.

Clear communications, evidence and regular contacts with this person you said that your daughters needs are not been met will cover you, be very vigerlant, if they think they can get 50 quid out of you for not sending your daughter to school then they will, and they wont be interested in why if you havent got anything to back you up.

Any more queries about education the NAS education service are very knowledgeable.

Good luck with the home education

JsMum

>:D<<'> thank you all for your sound advice i have phoned school this morning to let them know what is going on and i have a appointment to see my gp on wednesday to get a sick note and i am getting intouch with the paed again tomorrow, thanks again i dont know what i would do without this web site and all the sound advice you get from everyone, it can be hard when you have no family for you to turn too my mum lives in new zealand and my dad lives in canada and my hubbys mum isnt around much so this forum is my life line to great advice and ideas thanks ............jenny x

>:D<<'> thank you all for your sound advice i have phoned school this morning to let them know what is going on and i have a appointment to see my gp on wednesday to get a sick note and i am getting intouch with the paed again tomorrow, thanks again i dont know what i would do without this web site and all the sound advice you get from everyone, it can be hard when you have no family for you to turn too my mum lives in new zealand and my dad lives in canada and my hubbys mum isnt around much so this forum is my life line to great advice and ideas thanks ............jenny x

Jenny, I think you must be a very strong person and you are definately doing the right thing by your little girl, it might be worth getting some advice from the Parent partnership officer for your LEA. I know there's good ones and not so good ones but they do guide us as parents as to what to do next, and through the minefield of getting the right support and help for our children. It may also go in your favour as you are actively seeking help and advice from the right people to get the most appropriate support for her in the long run. I really hope things work out for you, don't give up or be beaten down by it all, things always take too long for us as parents but sometimes things can be put in place if we fight long enough and shout loud enough to the right people.

Take care, Ediebee XX

Jenny, you've got lot of good advice here. I was in a similar situation but my doc wouldn't write a note for me so I did have a visit from an EWO. Luckily they understood the situation...They had an AS son! To cut a long story short my daughter had refused to go back to school after the summer break after a year of school phobia and poor attendance....I eventually found a place for her at another school and she has been there almost 3 weeks she's as happy as she can be at school and I'm very proud of her.

Take care >:D<<'>

When Dan couldn't handle being in school before the school break I made sure one of the 1st people I contacted was the EWO, that way I managed to inform him of all the reasons why. I also had the support from CAMHS, so made sure he also had their number( & vice versa ).