Sign in to follow this  
Kazzen161

Transition information

Thanks for this Karen, it looks like a really useful site which pulls together in one place all the relevant information. I'm sure I'll be using it regularly. :)

Is it OK if I edit your post to turn the address into a link?

K x

Hmmm!

Our experience of transition has so far been completely negative. As with health its a postcode lottery.

It seems that after the age of 19 (or further education) everything stops.

Lots of suggestions for "good practise" but no enforcable, legal right to care or help.

Hmmm!

Our experience of transition has so far been completely negative. As with health its a postcode lottery.

It seems that after the age of 19 (or further education) everything stops.

Lots of suggestions for "good practise" but no enforcable, legal right to care or help.

Agreed, Lorraine.

Transition? What transition? :wallbash:

The assessment / statementing process is seriously flawed but looks like a picnic compared to the post 16 system, where there is no consistency, no legal safeguards and the quality of ASD provision depends on the expertise of individual staff at your local college.

So far L is happy during her two days at college, and the staff are kind so I haven't complained too much, but she's learning absolutely nothing. They have no idea how to teach her what she needs to know. I fear she will leave in a few years time, (or whenever funding for her course gets cut, whichever is the sooner :ph34r:) without any skills to equip her for adult life. :(

K x

Kathryn, I could not agree more, post 16 is a minefield! it has been down to me to 'inform' the tutors on ways to assist my son at college, this has been really tricky because he is over 18 and technically it is all down to him, of course I want him to be independent but when he says he wants to be treated as 'normal' ABSOLUTELY but this does not mean to have no regard to his having Aspergers!? good luck with this challenge, if you are lucky you will find a tutor willing to take on board the most relevant stuff and present a glimmer or more of success! best wishes.

Hello, havent been here for a while. Just spotted this and am now just starting to get into who I need to work with to find a way into employment for my son who is 18 (AS) and in his last year at college. My early forays suggests there are lots of well meaning people, with lots of 'advice', but its very fragmented and i'm not really sure where to start. And I have a sneaky feeling the only thing thats really going to work is to find an employer who is willing to give him a chance and be patient enough to accept some of the difficulties he faces. I might be wrong, and the help available might be more pratical than that. Anyway, we'll see.

Ray, you should go to the Carers Together Transition Workshop - in Winchester, Fareham, Cowplain, Basingstoke or Southampon during March. Some are for a full Saturday, some are spread over weekdays. They are excellent courses, you get lots of information eg: on agencies that can help an AS person find a job and keep it. See

www.carerstogether.org.uk/index.php

for telephone number.

Karen

Now I know why I've been so depressed lately! J is 13 next week and it's the fear of him getting older and what's going to happen, etc.!! :huh::o

~ Mel ~