Sign in to follow this  
openyoureyes

Got to find a new school - Help

HI all

not been here for a while, but have got my 6yr ASD son's review in 2 week. At the moment he attends a unit school attached to a mainstream in Macclesfield (which is great). When he moves upto Junior school in September the school is changing there policy (or so we are led to believe) to only have children in the catchment area attend the unit/mainstream. My son really no longer needs the unit and is included in mainstream for most subjects.

We need therfore to find him a new school in Poynton, Cheshire for next September. Any of you out there know which one is good with ASD?? I have no idea, but obviously I will have to go and visit them all, but what they say at visits is sometimes completely different in practice!!!

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi all,

The usual reminder - please don't identify individual schools on the forum. If anyone has any local information that would help openyoureyes, please can you send a pm.

Kathryn

big hugs chez............hope the bowling was good yesterday.If I knew of a good school I,d tell you sadly they all seem dire :( .............you know what I,m talking about.Have you chatted to the lea about his provision next year as this could be more important than the school, and having support that has some knowledge of autism too.I,d speak to CASADT...........see if they can advise............hugs suzex

Most of us find that our chidlrens needs vary and tend to increase with age. I would still want him to attend the unit attached to his next junior school, even though they look to be changing their policy in the future the fact that your son is in school stands him in good ste

I would be thinking why are things working so well, is it because of the support he is recieving is allowing him to be included successfully.

Personally I would still want my child to stay in the unit as I would worry about jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.