Stephanie

Trying new foods ...

Our diet now is now on a wholefood diet anyway He does react to food colouring and preservatives so we avoid them as much as possible. I noticed this first when at 18mths he started head banging me when ever he ate smarties. He is fine with them now as they have removed the colourings.

So we don't have processed foods very often, avoid take aways and cook from scratch with food that we try to know the origin of or have grown myself....I have a lot of friends that 'produce' food.

I have taken out the link as the web site included external adverts.I hope the post still reads the wy you intended.Regards Karen.

Edited by Karen A

We found that my daughters behaviour deteroirated(sp?) if she ate coloured sweets and sugar ( she used to buy herself irnbru and a sherbert fountain on the way home from school :sick: and go totally hyper!) So we try and make our own pasta sauces etc and strictly limit sweet stuff.

Thankyou all for that input. well first of all he is trying to rule the house he tells me to get out of the kitchen because it is dangerous. what he means is get out the kitchen because i want to rake around and get foods i cant have.when i politly tell him i am not going out the kitchen because i have to finish what i am doing he flings himself on the floor and has a tantrum

He hate anything on his hands including getting them wet. If i forget and go to do something like pull his trousers up and my hands are wet he runs and gets a towel.

emotions could come into his food eating as well i will need to watch what he is like and then see if he is eating his food. i have been so down and upset with his tantrums and carryon with his food that i never thought of this

He refused to eat again tonight except for his gluten and dairy free yorkshire pudding he then ask for one of his cakes and was told no because he hadnt eaten his dinner again with the tantrums shout and telling me to get out the kitchen i did not give in and eventually he went off telling me i was bad

what a life i dont know what is worse the refusual to eat or the tantrums :tearful:

thankyou for all your replies because any imput helps

deborah

why not build one what he is eating now. He liked the yorkshire pudding, why not grate something like a carrot it in the batter and cook. See if he will eat that?

why not build one what he is eating now. He liked the yorkshire pudding, why not grate something like a carrot it in the batter and cook. See if he will eat that?

This is a great idea and what I do for my son, I make friut lollies (my son loves lollies and doesn't drink alot) and he gets friut into him or natural yogurt and friut because he thinks thes are like icecream. Once he started to eat things like pasta sauce I started to blend different veg into my own sauce. My son loves mash so I mix swede and carrot and now he loves this.

I'll be honest with you it has taken me years to get to this point (14) but encouraging him to cook with me really helped. Also say to him if he eats ???? then he can have ???? after. I find at work and home using the language first ???? and then ???? also use pictures of what he is going to have for dinner. My son always needs to know what we are having way before dinner time, but be warned it can bring on his anxiety but it is much better than finding out at dinner time. It's hard to scrape noodle stir fry off the kitchen walls and floor. :eat::shame:

thats a great idea will try that anything that will help. does anyone know where i will get some good gluten free sausages as he hates the supermarket own brand ones now you know jamie oliver advertises for them

Hi

I am waiting for my 4 yr old son to be evaulated. He has had a bowel problem since birth. We finally went to see a consultant up in London last week about this problem. He suggested that we try him on a dairy free and wheat/gluten free diet. I am fine with the gluten free bit as my mum is a coeliac, but am struggling a bit with the dairy. He does not seem to like the soya milk. We even brought him the soya milkshakes but he won't drink those either. Can anyone suggest anything? We don't know if he has an allergy to these things and won't know until his bloods come back to the consultant. So, in 3/4 months this could all have been a waste of time. But we have to try.

Many thanks

You can try goats milk maybe.Or maybe different varities of soya,give it a chance he may not like it at first but if its on his cereal he is likely to eat that.Just leave him to it as if he has no option!

Hi

I am waiting for my 4 yr old son to be evaluated. He has had a bowel problem since birth. We finally went to see a consultant up in London last week about this problem. He suggested that we try him on a dairy free and wheat/gluten free diet. I am fine with the gluten free bit as my mum is a coeliac, but am struggling a bit with the dairy. He does not seem to like the soya milk. We even brought him the soya milkshakes but he won't drink those either. Can anyone suggest anything? We don't know if he has an allergy to these things and won't know until his bloods come back to the consultant. So, in 3/4 months this could all have been a waste of time. But we have to try.

Many thanks

Provamel rice milk is good on the dairy free diet goats milk isnt.

on the dairy free diet goats milk isn't.

It depends why you are giving up / reducing dairy. Agreed, it's no good if you want to cut out lactose, but it's a potential substitute if you want to cut out casein (there is still casein in goats' milk, but it is a different type).

Also, goats' milk is more digestible than cows' milk and can help where people are intolerant (as opposed to allergic - people use the terms interchangeably when they shouldn't - in fact most people have an intolerance, not a true allergy) to cows' milk.

My mum is lactose intolerant,she gets migraines and blocked nose when eating cheese and drinking dairy.She drinks goats milk and the cheese,she doesnt suffer at all and has been on goats milk for 5-6 yrs now.She does like the soya yoghurts but not the milk.

We use Provamel organic rice milk (green carton). The normal Provamel (purple carton) sends him hyper. We rarely do soya. There is also an almond milk that I use when cooking and a hazelnut one too, both from the health food shop.

Good luck! We had good news on the poo front within 24 hours, most people know within a week if it's going to make a difference.

Edited by call me jaded

We use Provamel organic rice milk (green carton). The normal Provamel (purple carton) sends him hyper. We rarely do soya. There is also an almond milk that I use when cooking and a hazelnut one too, both from the health food shop.

Good luck! We had good news on the poo front within 24 hours, most people knwo within a week if it's going to make a difference.

Thanks everyone i shall give your advice some thought and act upon it.

Edited by Rob's mum

It depends why you are giving up / reducing dairy. Agreed, it's no good if you want to cut out lactose, but it's a potential substitute if you want to cut out casein (there is still casein in goats' milk, but it is a different type).

Also, goats' milk is more digestible than cows' milk and can help where people are intolerant (as opposed to allergic - people use the terms interchangeably when they shouldn't - in fact most people have an intolerance, not a true allergy) to cows' milk.

You cant have goats milk on the casein free diet. Cows milk lactose intolerant people can have goats milk though.

Apparently if you get milk from Jersey cows (the breed) there's no casein. I've only ever found Channel Islands milk so never tried it.

Marilyn le Breton's Dietary Intervention and Autism is a really useful starting point Rob's Mum - loads of getting started recipes and a good overview of the theory without it being too scientific.

my son has oat milk if we are out and about and I cannot make him up his script powdered milk, I have rarely got the soya milk for him, he cannot have goats milk or anything like that

My local sainsumberies was the only convenient place for buying Pure Sunflower (MUCH nicer than pure soya) spread, but they seem to have stopped stocking it and have vitalite in its place... I bought some vitalite, and it tastes quite nice (different, but nice), but I've not given it to Ben yet as it doesn't actually say 'gluten free' and is a bit vague about the mix of 'vegetable oils' etc used. I e-mailed them last week but they ent got back to me yet, which is usually an indication that they don't quite know or that the answer's 'no'. Cynical, me? never!

So - anybody know?

And while on the subject, where did it disappear to for the past 20 years or so and why? I defintely remember the ads on TV ('Wo-oh Vitalite' to the tune of Desmond Decker's 'The Isrealites' running at around the same time as the 'I'll be your dog' Kia Ora ad and the little girl with the huge mouth singing 'Trio' to the Banana Boat Song tune (not one, not two, but three things in it), but then it just disappeared.

And digressing even further - I once went out with a girl who told me her favourite reggae song was 'there is a light'...

So, anybody know?

L&P

BD :D

we also buy the Pure sunflower and I am gutted to see Sbury have stopped stocking it at the soya is yuk! No idea about gluten in vitalite, but I was surprised to find out a few weeks back it was DF, we may well switch to that instead

we also buy the Pure sunflower and I am gutted to see Sbury have stopped stocking it at the soya is yuk! No idea about gluten in vitalite, but I was surprised to find out a few weeks back it was DF, we may well switch to that instead

If you're only looking for DF then it's actually quite nice (I'd go so far, after the initial change, as saying nicer than 'pure SF'). If it has to be df AND gf, I'll report back if i hear from them, but if not H&B do sunflower pure. For me it just means a hike into a town centre I'd rather avoid!

Oh - get our 'Supertramp King' tomorrow! :bounce: I will be giving Ben some advanced 'how to stop' lessons again once it's up, as he was getting a bit casual about it and it's a bit further to fall compared to the 'Frog'. :lol:

L&P

BD :D

my son has oat milk if we are out and about and I cannot make him up his script powdered milk, I have rarely got the soya milk for him, he cannot have goats milk or anything like that

i guess he doesnt have a gluten problem then? Some gluten intolerant folk cant have oats due to cross contamination issues with their method of farming.

Depends on sensitivity but 'flavourings' would rule it out for us on its own. Lactic acid would also raise a red flag and I have found that the extracts of various vitamins can definitely have a gluten source.

Those bouncy sunflowers have stood the test of time, haven't they?

It's never actually gone away, but I think it lost popularity for a while. It's becoming more popular again now that they have thought to mention that it's dairy free, and it's also been repackaged in a more convenient shape recently.

I have absolutely no idea whether it contains gluten though, sorry.

M&S do a DF sunflower spread.

Tescos still do the pure brand as does holland and barrett in my small town.

Got a reply today confirming that it is 'Dairy, Soya and Gluten free'. So for now we will carry on singing 'Wo-Oh Vitalite' song, and if Ben goes doolally we will let you know.

:D

Hi Guys I was wondering if anyone else had issues with oversions to colours that effected which food they could eat?

I have AS and I have an oversion to the colour green which continues onto the food I eat. I know there will be lots of parents reading this thinking "thats a good excuse for not eating your veg" but as a child an educational psychologist thought just that and gave me a box of smarties, to which I ate all but the green ones, he then proceeded to get another box off smarties and take every colour but the green out and I didnt eat any.

I dont know if I have ever eaten green. I have tried to, i put a green m&m in my mouth but felt sick at the thought it was green and couldnt chew or swallow it. I also stuggle with green writting, i cant look at it long enough to focus on it.

Not eating green really effects my diet as I cant eat any greens, which as I get older worries me more.

Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Kerr

Due to a medical condition I needed to change my diet and adopt a more healthy life style than I had previously been doing.

I found eating different food challenging because of the taste and texture and I had previously only eaten what I liked but that was no longer an option for me.

It was difficult and still is because I don't like trying new foods I much prefer to remain eating what I always have but I had no other choice. I found something's were more easier than others and over time there has been an improvement but when I do find something I like and enjoy I will eat that constantly instead of trying new foods.

Hello,

I am currently carrying out research on eating and dietary behaviours of children with ASD aged between 7-16 years. I am recruiting any parents that would be willing to complete an online survey about their child's eating behaviour and food intake. This research formulates part of my thesis at the University of Hertfordshire and has obtained ethical approval.

It is anonymous and you can be completed in the comfort of your own home.

To find out more information and to take part, please click on the following link: https://herts.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0UnFQbhd0WvGouh

This study aims to improve our understanding of eating behaviours in ASD and to potentially aid in the development of alternative treatment options.

Your participation would be greatly appreciated!