Sign in to follow this  
Elanor

'About a Boy' - film

I saw this film on TV last night, and I was struck about how strongly the child has asperger's characteristics. I know the film's based on a book by Nick Hornby, whose own son has autism (and who has donateed �2m to an autistism charity). The film isn't explicit about the boy having AS, but it's obvious in the way he dresses, talks, moves, interacts - although there were several scenes and dialogue that don't sound very aspie.

It's a lovely, uplifting film, and I'm going to hire it so that my son can see it - I think he'd see the connections to things in his own life.

Did anyone else see this film?

I have watched both the film and read the book........ even have the book on audio tape for the kids to listen to in the car.

I never seen the boys as AS but now that you have pointed it out i can see parts that i would put down to a AS child.

It is a great book/film and i know that all my 3 children liked it very much.

Hiya I watched this the other day and I remember thinking about AS when I was watching it. He kept singing out loud to himself and his dress sense was probably down to his "lovely but slightly mad" mum. It is a lovely film but shows how he is bullied by other kids etc. Although in the film he was more an adult to his mum and he entered the singing competition to make his mum happy. The bit where he gets socks for christmas and he looks happy - I thought was really sweet!!!!

Nick Hornby who wrote the Book 'About a Buy' has a son Danny who is quite profoundly autistic. It's generally accepted that Nick did make the boy appear to have AS. If you read the book there is no doubt about this it comes across much more clearly. But it's never actually stated that the lad does have AS. My friend Richard, who knows Nick, tells me he did mean it to be like that?

Carole

yes i thought that too and ive watched it three times, although as u say some aspects are not aspie, such as performing in front of the school, my son would rather have his teeth pulled than do that lol.

I love the film though it is wonderful :wub:

If you get a chance to read the book, I think it is more implicit that the lad has AS than in the film.

I liked the book more, because the film misses out quite a lot...although it is still great!

Bid :wacko:

Soooo weird to see this post, it has been over 2 years since I saw the movie (prediagnosis) and out of the blue it popped in my head a few days ago and I thought ta-da, that boy was AS!

Now I'm really curious and have to find the book...

When i first saw the film i didnt know anything about AS so i just thought he was like it cos his Mum was a little mad! But now knowing what i know, i quite agree.

Think i'll get the book :)

I'm with Beverley on this one.....I sat there thinking;

'My word, he's like a lamb to the slaughter- get him a decent haircut, woman, for crying out loud!!!'

But I can see the AS connection too.....

Yup, a book I need to read, methinks!

Esther x

hmm another film in witch might have an aspie in it is "THe village"

Noah (is that his name?) has some aspie traits, such as in appropriat laughter and things

Hi all -

Don't know all of his books, but of those I do there's a strong 'Auty' thread throughout -

High Fidelity - Guy who's obsessive about music and c**p at relationships. Get's off on obscure music trivia, tracklists, running orders alphabetical storage systems and compilation tapes.

Fever pitch - About a guy who's obsessive about football [Can't tell you anymore about this one, as I hate football so didn't read it!]

About a boy - Nuff said...

Can't remember the title of this one which is terrible 'cos i only read it a couple of months ago but something like 'thirty tracks' - A series of essays by an obsessive music fan about various music tracks and the thoughts/images/memories they evoke...

Could be that Nick Hornby has a fair pinch of autism himself, and that the boy's perspective is just how he remembers his own childhood. Also, while this thread tends to concentrate on the boy, it's worth looking at the adults in the book/film too. An emotionally distant bloke who counts time as 'units', can't see the point of work, and who is short-sighted enough to view single parent mother's as an easy option for hassle free sex(?). A totally self absorbed mother who cannot engage with her son emotionally, understand or empathise with his needs and remains socially isolated and ignorant regarding the 'outside worlds' perspectives on their relationship... Hmmm, no wonder the poor little ######'s so confused!

L&P

BD :D

Hi all -

Just bumped this very old thread 'cos I've just finished reading 'A Long Way Down', and all I can say is it confirms all of the above! What's great about it, though, is that just about all of the main characters 'march to a different drum', but that this is just part of who they are and part of the human (rather than an 'ASD') condition...

I liked one quote of the 'Jess' character in particular; it's the bold print one added to my 'signature' below :D

Interesting viewpoint, I hadn't actually thought about the lad in About a Boy being AS but it is entirely possible. The part that jumps to mind when I think about it is when he feeds the bread to the ducks, instead of breaking it into small pieces like you usually would, he throws the whole loaf in, killing a duck as he does it! Mind you, my dd will break the bread, but then she eats it instead of giving it to the ducks :lol:

Really good film though too, I loved it.