Sign in to follow this  
smiley

Finalised statement..

Hi,

It's the finalised stat. I have been awaiting a reply to my second written request for a meeting when this landed in my inbox.

Goes like this...

Proposed statement arrived - i replied well within the 15 day time limit, with a request for a meeting and a short description of SOME of the concerns i had (ie; here are a couple of reasons why i would like to meet...blah, blah....).

Letter arrives from LEA - basically saying no to what i had asked for and not much else.

I wrote another letter - requesting a meeting to discuss prop stat...AGAIN

Wrote another letter three weeks later asking why he hadn't replied..

Recieved letter back from LEA saying he was awaiting a meeting (with LEA bods) to discuss the hours of provision :huh::unsure: ???

Recieved an email along the lines of.... Here's M's finalised stat - it will be written up on Fri.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Edited by smiley

That's not on. Do you have proof of delivery for those letters (eg: recorded delivery?).

>>it will be written up on Fri.

they always post things out on Fridays - so you get them on Saturday and there's nothing you can do.

I had a look at your letter, but need to have another look now I know it is the finalised one.

Karen

You would have such a good case at appeal Smiley. With the school backing you and saying he needs special provision and paying full time support at the moment out of their own budget I don't think the LEA will stand much chance giving him just 15 hours. It doesn't reflect his needs. Also the fact that they've blatently disregarded the code of conduct and are refusing to acknowledge your request for a meeting will not go down well with tribunal at all.

Appealing is stressful but you have nothing to lose and a lot to gain. You have the ace handbook so all the information. You can look on the sendist website and print off the appeal form from there. When you get your hardcopy of the statement next week you should also get a copy of all the documents submitted by everyone to the LEA during the statementing process (you may already have got it with the provisional statement). You need to photocopy it, copy the covering letter with the statement, fill in the sendist appeal form which is basically name, address and a tick box why you're appealing then just write that you disagree with parts 2 and 3 of the statement and why. The sendist panel will look at all the stuff before the hearing. The hearing is sitting in a room at a table with 3 people facing you, you on one side and the LEA on the other. It sounds so daunting and I was terrified the first time thinking I couldn't cope. IPSEA will help with tribunal and someone will even come with you. Even though they can't always help with what's happenned up to now they do have a team of people dedicated to representing people at SENDIST. A man came to my house from IPSEA, went through all my reports and paperwork and helped me decide what to send. He wrote my case statement, everything, he was such a help.

This time around I feel confident enough to do it myself. If I was you I'd send the forms off anyway, you can always pull out at anytime and don't have to go through with it. You're probably feeling really upset and down at the moment but in a few weeks or a month you'll probably feel stronger and get your fighting spirit back. You've done the hard work to get this far.

Good luck whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you. >:D<<'> >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Lisa

Just wanted to pop in with some good luck vibes, sending you strength through the ether and a couple of these >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Kettle's on, chocolate cake being sliced.............

>:D<<'> Thank you

Well...........email sent (big hugs to those who helped me with it late into last night! :notworthy:>:D<<'> )............... So far, i've heard NOTHING.............why am i not surprised........... :rolleyes:

Meeting with school went very well. He's 'only just coping' but not happy - they are very prepared to put everything in writing, and have begun the paper trail to document everything. LEA lady is due in soon - to check that it's the right provisions for M - they're going to let her have it........

:o:o:o:D:unsure:

Just got this.......................

"I am quite prepared to set up a meeting to discuss the statement, although as I said in my e-mail, I have made the changes that I can of those that you asked me to consider. In order to find a convenient date, time and place for a meeting please contact my office on......"

:unsure::unsure::wacko:

Hi Smiley,

I don't know if you've read this from IPSEA :unsure:http://www.ipsea.org.uk/sevenfixes.htm#AskingforMeeting

Hmmmm :huh:

Annie

>:D<<'>

Glad you got a response.

When you have the meeting, you need to go in with a list of (clearly worded) changes that you want, each with a note of the evidence to back them up. Refer to the professional's reports wherever possible, so he can't disagree. I did this, and got all but one minor change agreed (I think he was just glad that I had done all the work and re-written it for him).

Do you think the school is panicking because they have just been sent the statement as you have asked for it to be named on the statement?

Karen

Thanks Karen >:D<<'>

I know what i'll be doing all weekend! The school are putting something into writing for me. I genuinly don't believe the school have done this because they're worried about the statement - they asked for a meeting well before i recieved the email on Mon. And..i do trust them. They are fantastic and very supportive.

Been a weird day for M :( (Mufti day at school... :wallbash::wallbash: ).

Have the meeting. Have somebody there to take notes that you can get typed up and sent to the LEA bod. It sounds like he's not gonna take any notice of what you have to say in the meeting, but have one, and have it recorded. It's got to help if you end up taking them to tribunal.

Much Luv to you and M.

xJx

Thanks for all your help >:D<<'>

I'm trawling through it again :wallbash: . J i think you may be right - i'm not expecting much to come from this meeting. All the bits i wanted changing were backed up by evidence from the professionals within the advice - and i was still ignored...

It's all been confused by the fact the school have said what they said this past week. I've been basing everything on what the Infants (initial process was begun at the infants, so all the advice is from there) were telling me - ie; full-time 1:1 in mainstream. As things have now changed - i don't have much 'evidence' to back me. I'll be getting a letter from school - but as it's not part of the original advice IYSWIM, i don't suppose LEA have to consider it. Starting to wonder if i should just agree to the stat and battle it out at tribunal.......

Onwards and upwards.. :star::)

Hi Smiley,

Good luck with the meeting, you can but try. If you don't get what you want in the statement, gird your loins for the next stage of the battle - we're all behind you. >:D<<'>

K x

>>Starting to wonder if i should just agree to the stat and battle it out at tribunal.......

You may have no choice but to do this, but it is worth trying the meeting.

I was telling my friend about this tonight, and she said she asked for and got 231 amendments to her son's statement from PC (she remembers the exact number - don't know why -lol). I asked for about 50 and got 49.

Karen

And there in lies the problem...........I've never seen a statement before.... i don't know what should and shouldn't be in one..... I'm not familiar with the wording....... Doing my best :) . But i think without an awful lot of knowledge and/or someone with some clout backing you............. :(

There is a web-site link somewhere that tells you what to look for when checking a proposed statement.

It's a case of looking through the evidence re: needs and provision and then making sure they are all stated in the statement + thinking of what help you think your son needs and looking for the evidence to back that up.

Karen

Thank you K >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I have quite a bit to help me, the AFASIC one if fab :thumbs: .

The problem now is - i've been through all that, stuck to the time limits and taken lots of advice. Still hasn't worked unfortunately :( .

Becoming more obvious that this is a job for IPSEA :( .

I've been reading on their website about asking for an early review. Does anyone have any experience of that? I was wondering if it may be an option rather than tribunal. It may give the Juniors some time to build a case, get outside agencies involved again....more reports.....more ammunition???? What do you think?

I've been reading on their website about asking for an early review. Does anyone have any experience of that? I was wondering if it may be an option rather than tribunal. It may give the Juniors some time to build a case, get outside agencies involved again....more reports.....more ammunition???? What do you think?

You can't ask for an early review until you have a finalised statement :( and the LEA may be unwilling to agree until the provision has been in place for a while - :(:( - especially as they don't seem to be very amenable so far :(

Hi Smiley,

Trouble is, if they won't amend the statement after a review, you have no right of appeal.

Better to battle it out now while you can. Don't agree to a statement you don't want. I would still go for the appeal if and when it's finalised and you're still not happy.

K x

Trouble is, if they won't amend the statement after a review, you have no right of appeal.

K x

Too right - that's why we had all the hassle earlier this autumn :angry:

Better to battle it out now while you can. Don't agree to a statement you don't want. I would still go for the appeal if and when it's finalised and you're still not happy.

K x

Definitely :fight:

Hi guys

Thank you for all your support >:D<<'> it's really appreciated >:D<<'>

Spent the morning with a chum who has a big brain for all things ASD........ :D Came out knowing i wasn't loosing the plot entirely :whistle: , that i'm in the right - and LEA man is not :fight: . Cannot tell you how great it is to hear another person tell me i'm doing the right thing :D .

Yup, early review isn't going to be the way - i'm going to have to fight the &%$�*&'s now.

And i've also got to stop being so bluddy english :rolleyes: , and ask/beg/grovel for help - from IPSEA. :pray: Really hard to let your guard down isn't it :( .

:star::ninja::star:

:)