Sign in to follow this  
madmooch

H's School Play

Hi, I've only just calmed down enough to talk about this :crying:

I went to H's xmas play on tuesday and it was horrific - There was a young girl there who had CP aswell as ASD she was helped up on the stage held while she cried with her hands over her ears while saying her lines :crying:

H was sitiing in the corner waiting to go on stage, a teacher had him trapped cos he was giggling and trying to escape - he then bit this teachers arm - when H gets stressed he giggles.

Never Again - he's not doing it next year - and if i give in and agree to let him do it, please slap me!

Clare

Clare, I had a huge lump in my throat reading your post.....it sounds heartbreaking......what the heck do the staff feel the children who are crying and stressed are benefitting from this. Huge hugs >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

WHAT :o There's a child deeply distressed and crying and they force her onto stage??? What the bleeping heck were they thinking?

That's truly sad floss. I hope H is doing ok today and that poor little girl too.

Big hugs to you honey.

:blink: Oh that poor girl why on earth do they make them do these things, its not enjoyable for the kids or their parents. i despair! >:D<<'>

That's horrible Clare, just horrible. :( If the little girl's mum was in the audience, I wonder what on earth she thought of it! You're absolutely right to not want to put your lad through this next year, maybe he can have a tummy ache on the day or something!! What is it with these schools!!?? :(>:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Just see how he is, things change a helluva lot in a year ... I was the same last year but this year my kid was brilliant in his play and I was really chuffed I let him do it.

Mind you, I am already thinking of ways how to get out of next years Sports Day for the same kind of reason.

I would have a word with the teachers though, sounds like it was handled all wrong.

Chin up girlie, its Christmas >:D<<'>

Poor kids >:D<<'> , that's horrendous. I really felt for you as i remember Kai going through similar when he was in mainstream. I just wanted to jump up and grab him and take him home.

Thankfully, the school he is in now don't force any child to take part if they don't want to (which Kai doesn't).

Loulou xx

Hi i attended my ds Nativity which is at the same school as Madmooch's. my boy loved it but there were a lot of chhildren who did some overwhelmed by it all. I didn't find it horrific but it was a roller coaster of emotions for me as my son was never allowed in the hall at his mainstream school so I was rather proud when watching my son, on the other hand i don't know how i would have felt if my ds got stressed by it all. I know Tilly has posted on the other thread and she opted out for her daughter not to do the play so maybe Clare could do the same for next year if H is still upset.

At the risk of repeating myself, that is why I opted out for my dd, and it was no problem for the school in question.

I can't comment on the play this year as I didn't attend.

Tilly

Last year my son "seemed" fine in rehearsals, but when he saw the audience it was a completely different story...........wow :crying: ...................put it this way never again, he did,nt enjoy his performance and neither did the audience , so a lesson learned .We have always opted out of the xmas party too, it,s just a full on sensory over load.

I was at the play, and believe me the girl in question wasnt that distressed, (she would have been very aggressive if she was), and she hasnt got a DX of ASD. She was held on stage, because she has CP and didnt have her boots on. She was a bit overwhelmed at first, then was actually giggling. Her mum was in the audience, and she wasnt upset or distressed either as she knew her daughter wasnt distressed either.

The majority of children, including those in Early Years, actually enjoyed. That said, all our children are different, and can cope with different things that we throw at them. A lot of the children have a whale of time during rehearsals, and get a bit overwhelmed when they see all the parents in the hall.

Tilly already said that she spoke to the school and opted out of the play for her DD.

Clare, have a word with the school, and if H is so upset by the play, opt out of it for him too. Or if you want to give him another chance, you do have the option of attending the full dress rehearsal, which is held the day before. The play is exactly the same, only with a much smaller audience.

Paula

The majority of children, including those in Early Years, actually enjoyed. That said, all our children are different, and can cope with different things that we throw at them. A lot of the children have a whale of time during rehearsals, and get a bit overwhelmed when they see all the parents in the hall.

Paula

They are all so different. My son was fine during his Nativity Play too (Mainstream school). Ok so it probably wasn't his favourite way to pass the morning but he coped and was delighted to be able to turn the CD player on and off between songs. He wore his ear phones hidden discretely under his head-dress and sat in a corner on his special cushion next to his LSA and he was ok. I've come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to have the delighted experience other parents have of watching their children happily perform in plays and concerts but I felt very proud seeing him dressed up, him grinning over at me every so often and performing his little job very well. He had a ball at the Christmas party though and came home as high as a kite :rolleyes:

Lx

Edited by LizK

First of all, I have to point out that madmooch herself signs her posts with her real name, as in the first post of this thread.

Secondly, i never suggested that anyone voicing their own opinion is wrong. An opinion is just that, a personal viewpoint of a particular person, and I for one wouldnt condemn anyone for voicing their own opinion.

I understand perfectly that to those in audience that didnt know the girl in question (by the by, I went to school with this girls mum) that she could have come across as highly distressed, I wasnt havent a go at "madmooch", I was giving my point of view. And the comments I was upset about where in another thread, which personally attacked other parents at the school.

And last of all, one thing we have in common on this forum, is very special children. And each of our personal situations brings about its own special problems. I've been where "madmooch" and many of us have been.

My particular problems were a son going through assessment for ASD, and he also had unstable epilepsy, a husband who walked out 'cos he couldnt cope, and not a damn sole in the world I could talk to! Now 4� years down the line I have some good friends, both online and other parents at the school, and school is my ONLY respite. Holiday times I do everything on my own, and by the end of them, I am living on my nerves and clock watching for the school transport!

I gave up on social services after hours on the phone, and endless letters. So believe me when i say I know all about times when life is too much to handle.

All I am saying to "Madmooch" is to meet at the scool, and get her points across, and work with the school to come up with solutions - I'm not having a go at her personally.

We do all want best for our children after all.

Paula

Have a very merry christmas, and best wishes for the new year

Glasses are over-rated. I've decided I don't need them and now navigate through the dark using the Force.

If the Force leads me into the cats' litter tray, there is a very complicated reason which the living can't understand. But it's still very important.

>:D<<'> No Worries Cat, over and done with hun.

Just to let you know that there is no bad feeling between Clare and myself . Clare has mailed me and I'm doing what I can to help and support her.

Best wishes for 2007

Paula

Glasses are over-rated. I've decided I don't need them and now navigate through the dark using the Force.

If the Force leads me into the cats' litter tray, there is a very complicated reason which the living can't understand. But it's still very important.

Lucas

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's why I got a cat litter box with a "roof".

Curra