Sign in to follow this  
reuby2

Dentist today

Hi all,

Well today my son is to go to the hospital to have 2 teeth removed, the whole process has been a bit of a nightmare starting a few weeks before christmas when he was having bad toothache. I got him into the dentists where she pronounced that he had a rotten tooth that had gone down to the nerve (ouch) so then she said that she would need to remove it, my son was upset but very brave with the first needle, then hysterical, he was absolutly beside himself, screaming the place down then she said he needed another needle at the back, he was so distraught, jumping up and down , screaming, thinking he was choking etc, but he did try and she finally managed to get the other needle in, however he was so distraught that he was screaming uncontrollably even afterwards , so she sent us into the other room for the needle to take effect where he was still really upset, he finally calmed down a little but when we went back in t"o have it removed he was hysterical, it was really hurting him (whether it was the sensation of pulling the tooth, i don't know)

Anyway he was just too upset, hysterical, nearly being sick, thinking he was choking, spitting out the water, jumping up and down screaming.....It was horrendous. She couldn't remove the tooth because of how upset he was.

We were refferred to a local health clinic that would do a general anaesthetic pre-appointment thing.

This lady was wonderful and my son point blank refuses to be "put to sleep " because he thinks it will wipe his mind ! So she said she would refer him to the special needs dentist and that it would maybe take a few more visits to get him comfortable with it all.....Great we thought. It turned out that he also had an absess under the tooth and so it would have knackered when the other dentist was pulling the tooth.

Anyway we then got a call saying that the dentist who would be performing the operation wanted to do the pre assessment (not the special needs dentist) and this guy was HORRIBLE.

When we went in, he started to explain that they would put a mask over his face to put him to sleep etc and my son was so traumatised (he has obssessions with death, gas, poison, danger etc etc etc) but this dentist wouldn't shut up even though my son was curled up in a ball on the floor screaming in terror, I got annoyed and asked him if he was experienced with asd kids he said... " yes and i've had worse than him!"...

My son was hysterical, could hardly breathe, couldn't keep still and I tried to explain that he had a thing about death and was frightened of gas etc.... the dentist said " well where's he got that from !! He's got that from somewhere!!! " Implying that we had put the thought there, or we were bad parents for what he watches on T.v etc. I was horrified at this dentists whole attitude, my son then said that he would have pre med but no gas (so we played along that he could just have that, hoping that he will be too drowzy to object to the general anaesthetic, he has to have it done.) So then the dentist starts to tell us about the risk invovled........I quickly stopped him and had my hubby take my son outside to wait. If my son had heard about the risk of death etc, he would have so disturbed longer term. I was so angry with this dentist I felt like complaining, he says that today if my son starts to struggle that my hubby will have to restrain him.

It upset me soooooooooo much, i have anxiety and I felt like I was going over the edge to see him so distressed but knowing that he has to have it done , because he has an abssess underneath that has already had 2 courses of antibiotics and still is there.

I feel so guilty lying to him, but has now come to terms with having the pre-med and i am praying that it will knock him out enough to not bother him when he has the mask on.

I am so anxious, had to have librium the last few days (besides my anti depressants) because i have been so worried and anxious (not knowing why) but i think subconsiously this has been bothering me.I feel like something terrible is happening to him when he gets so traumatised. Sorry that this is so long and probably difficult to read but thanks for listening. :crying:

oh no chic what an awful situation. tbh i think that bloke sounds like a complete w%^&*r to have no regard for your son's fears at all!!! please complain about him as that is a terrible way to treat any child never mind one with such a phobia of death like that. :angry::angry::angry:

Thanks for replying, we have to go to the hospital at 1.30 today, so he has just had his dose of calpol and last sip of water. I am dreading it. Oh well I'll post later to say how we have gone on.............. :tearful:

Hiya all,

Well you will never guess, today has been a right royal ######-up, After starving my son for the required number of hours and getting to the hospital, we then waited for an extra half hour for his pre med, then the lady came to us and said that we couldn't have the pre med or the treatment today as the aneathanatist (wrong spelling i know) had been called out on an emergency and they couldn't get another. I was really fed up BUT it has worked for the best i think.

She then handed me over to a lovely lady dentist who has a special needs clinic and all her team are trained for special needs and have more time etc. This dentist is going to do the work in 2 weeks time. She then said that in her experience children or adults with autism tend to get more worked up with a pre med rather than calming them down. I was dreading my sons reaction to this, she then came and spoke to him, he got upset, a bit hysterical BUT she was wonderful, took time to talk gently to him and although he doesn't want the "gas treatment" still, he has agreed to have the injection in his hand (which will knock him out just the same). I WAS TOTALLY AMAZED AT WHAT A DIFFERENCE SHE MADE, my son is quite happy about it now and she didn't bat an eyelid when he was upset but instead found out what it was that was making him upset about it all. She was wonderful and very gentle and my son (after the initial hysterics and fear) calmed right down and she left us as parents feeling better too. :D

Hi

What a terrible manner the dentist had with you and your son. This man clearly lacks understanding and compassion. Most understand that they have a job to do and have to switch off to a point when faced with a difficult situation (ie dealing with someone who is extremely anxious and distressed). This man overstepped the mark!

I'm so glad that although things didn't go smoothly, that at least you seem to have found another dentist who is experienced and professional. The main thing is that you feel you have confidence in this new dentist (something you didn't with the other). Very positive.

Best wishes.

Caroline.

Edited by cmuir