Sign in to follow this  
Bagpuss

Counselling

Had a call from the GP surgery today, and I've been offered an appointment with one of their counsellors next Friday :thumbs: . So nervous :unsure: .......dread to think what I'll be like by next week :( . Really struggle to talk about how I feel, especially with a stranger, but don't want to waste a wonderful opportunity, as I'm sure it will be beneficial. Unsure what to expect.....anyone else had counselling?

Edited by Bagpuss

Yes I have, I had it a few years ago but it made me feel a whole lot worse (as i couldn't cope with things, I ended going on anti depressants and am now treated for an anxiety disorder/depression). However a few years down the line and after having a bad time during the summer (anxiety) My doc persuaded me to try again with it for anxiety management, This time I am having a very different experience and it is helping me very much. I think the problem the first time round was that the counsellor (lady) was very in depth and wanted me looking back at past experiences etc (this made me ill and feel more out of control) but my counsellor now (man) is wonderful, I really trust him and he challenges my negativity and is very positive.

I am glad that i have gone back and have this wonderful counsellor because it is eradicating my last experience.I know many people cope just fine with the other type of counselling and it does help to understand yourself, however it didn't suit me. I hope you have a good experience and good counsellor >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Very best of luck Bagpuss, hope you come out of the session feeling really good about it. >:D<<'> You might even find that, once you get started, it could prove easier to talk to a stranger, as you can sometimes say things that maybe you wouldn't to someone else. It's a nice feeling to have that hour and that person just for YOU.

Good luck. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

Good luck Bagpuss.

It might be helpful to take a few notes about the way you're feeling.

It's also a good idea to tell the counsellor that you find it hard to talk about your feelings. It will help them to help you better.

Hi Bagpuss.I have been having counselling for a long time.At the time I started I was in a very bad emotional state.It has been slow and hard work at times.However for me it has turned out to have been a life saver and has had a hugely positive impact both for myself and the family.I do not know how I would have coped with many of the things that have happened in the last few years without it.

We are now in an unusual situation.Ben is starting child therapy with Camhs.OH and myself are also starting therapy with another therapist from Camhs to support us with Ben.Even having had counseling before I am apprehensive about working with a new person.So do not worry I think it is pretty normal to feel anxious.I feel very much like you about the new therapist-it will be a struggle but to be offered support was an oppurtunity that I would not want to turn down. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

I really hope you find the counseling helpful.Karen

im waiting for my first counselling appt,had some about 10 years ago but i wasent honest with counsellor so it wasent beneficial,im hoping this time it will help,good luck with yours

Thanks everyone >:D<<'> >:D<<'> I'm hoping it will help me clear my head abit, and help me find a positive way of dealing with all the poo that comes with life. I told my mum today about the appt and she said that talking to someone independent may give me a different perspective, and give me a greater help than talking to DH or her, which I hadn't thought about :D Will post an update after the initial appt to let you know if I found it a positive experience.....fingers crossed :D Thanks again >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Hiya Baggy :D

I had councelling many years ago (had a breakdown at 15/16 :( ). It was hugely beneficial - but hard going at times, so be kind to yourself if it makes you feel rotten at first. Who you have is important too - i was given an NHS 7o year old grey haired old guy - not exactly great for a teenager :blink: .

I've been trying to sort out some councelling for myself - not many with spaces in my area (we're a miserable lot in north hants :lol: ).

>:D<<'>

I haven't tried it myself - but keep considering whether it would help my situation. Well done again for sorting it out and I do hope that you find it helpful.

Love and hugs

Phoebe

Well, first session over and done with....phew :D Sat in the waiting room feeling sick....dreading it. Had allsorts of negative thoughts running thru my head......what if I didn't like who I saw, what if they asked me lots of questions I couldn't answer, what if I clammed up......you get the picture :rolleyes::rolleyes: Anyhow, turns out to be a lovely women, who was smashing. The hour flew past and I found her so easy to talk too....surprise, surprise for a counsellor eh...... :lol::lol: When I went in I explained I was feeling really nervous, that I was a very quiet and private person and found it difficult talking about how I felt.......she then spent the next hour trying to get a word in edgeways..... :ph34r::lol::lol: She's booked me in for 8 one hour weekly sessions, and I feel fab and really hopeful that something positive is happening. Wanted to post update for anyone waiting for counselling, or considering it, just to help put their minds at rest. Met my mum for lunch afterwards, and then this evening went to a local ASD support group with my youngest dd, so all in all a good day :D

Edited by Bagpuss

So glad your counselling started well! I'm also going to counselling but not through the GP who just gives me antidepressants, but at a local charity for disabled people and carers. It helps me a lot to be able to talk to a nice person who is non judgemental. I hope your counselling gives you lots of good feelings and positive things start happening to you!!

CurraXX

Hi I am releived that your first session went well, I had councilling a couple of years ago for a few years and its the main reason I am living and breathing and happier today, I think councilling is very difficult and emotionally and mentally exhausting so my most tip from me is make sure after your session you can have a bit of time on your own or things that are not as stressful, it was the after effects that where worse for me I felt so distactched and disorintated, and a loss that I needed time to come back to myself.

councilling can be very difficult but its because we are dealing with very uncomfortable feelings.

However if we dont deal with them they just be part of our spirit so we do need to deal with our feelings and issues.

I had to go back to my childhood and back to my mothers childhood to understand the things I understand now and I have done a lot of work that I do deal with my emotions more.

The hardest thing for me was been my own person again, without a councillor and excepting my emotions which is really hard to do as a lot it means letting go, and releasing it, which if hormornal can be a few hours.

but once I have had a good cry and let go then I then concentrate on feeling happy and confortable which in turn can be very hard as well as feeling these can be just as a roller coaster as feeling down can.

I have to recommend a book that has helped me gain some insight and its called HERE I AM, its american but its the best book I have read for ages.

I use to be on prescription medication which to be honest didnt really benefit me as my issues needed talking and listening and looking at ways to change my life and all the medication did was make me feel worse with all the side effects, I dont take anything now and when I am anxious I use a number of ways to cope that are similair that I use with J like breathing exercises, yoga, cycling ect...

I am an independant young woman, a happier and healthier one too.

councilling saved my life but it also saved my soul.

Edited by JsMum

Well done Bagpuss, so glad your first session was so positive. Hope it continues to be helpful for you.

Take care. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

~ Mel ~

:thumbs::clap::thumbs::clap:

Pleased it went well! :thumbs:

I'm the complete opposite - i can talk for Britain, until you want me to actually 'talk', then i clam up :ph34r::lol::rolleyes: ......

(J'mum - lovely post, >:D<<'> )

Hi bagpuss -

sorry - I'm a bit late to this one! Congratulations :thumbs::thumbs:

Glad it all went well, and really hope the next eight sessions can help you to see things more clearly...

Usually, we're so busy flying around chasing our own butts that we can't tell you know what from shinola! Just having this opportunity to express out loud the things that you're usually holding back will, I'm sure be a really positive exercise :)

Very best

BD :D>:D<<'>

Thanks :D I must admit it's amazing how when faced with someone who is independent, non judgemental and who just sits and listen how easy it is to open up. She said alot of things that make perfect sense, and thinks the counselling will be of real benefit to me, in terms of dealing with the depression, anxiety about the future and "loss". I did ask what she meant by "loss", and she explained that what we had been thru with our two dd's over the last 3 years was a type of loss, and that I was feeling the loss of how I had envisaged my life to be, which is true. She is hoping she can help me come to terms with what has happened, find some acceptance of my life, find positive ways of moving forward. She also said that if I felt I needed more counselling after the 8 sessions that was ok, or if I felt it wasn't helping or I was uncomfortable I could end them at any point, or even have a break if it all got abit too much, so that made me feel better. Thanks again for all the good wishes >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

so glad it went well,wish my appt would hurry up,im on the waiting list.

the thing im thinking is ,have i got to go in there with a specific thing about my past which is bothering me cos there isent one,i know i need counselling but not for any particular thing,i spose they talk everything through,im jumbled up i suppose with all different worries,my counsellor will def need help after seeing me!!

Hev, there is nothing from my past which worries me either. I have difficulty with the last 3 years, since our youngest was dx with muscular dystrophy, then autism, and then our eldest dd was dx Aspergers. My childhood and life up to then was ok. I think for me for the first time, I was faced with something in my life I couldn't find a solution to, and I couldn't make it right. I felt, and still do, that I had no control, and began to feel very scared. I'm really hoping that the counsellor will help me with this. Hope you hear soon Hev, and take care >:D<<'>

>:D<<'> Really pleased everything went well for you Bagpuss >:D<<'>

Someone that I know recently had counselling and they said the same as you, "when I was on my way there, I was scared and didn't know what to say, then spent the whole hour talking non-stop" :o:)

Annie

xx

GReat to hear that it was a positive expeience - kinda fills you with hope for the future sessions doesn't it. I am so glad that you think that you wil gain from it. Hope it continues to go well.

Love and hugs Phoebe