reuby2

Found this AQ test

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

I can't do a link. sorry but this address takes you to a online "test" measuring the likely charactaristics of autism in adults. The test group scored 16 and it is said that those with autistic tendencies scored over 32................................I scored 35 :(:(

It isn't mean't to be a proper diagnosis etc, but i have been really wondering about myself as my son developes I see things that i did as a child too. The intense anxiety over things, taking things literally (my mum called me a little monkey once and i got very upset thaT I WASN'T A MONKEY BUT A LITTLE GIRL!!)

always speaking the truth (ALWAYS), e.g Do I look okay? ...No your hair doesn't suit you like that!!.....................or did you like your birthday present, the earrings we bought you (this was at work when i was 21) ...............no I don't like those styles, i wont wear them, but thank you very much.

I only learn't in the last few years about not always telling the truth!! I often at school missed the whole point of a lesson ( Iwas in the top classes) but never seemed to know what to do. I was socially "quirky" shall we say. I stand aloof from people , not because i don't want to stand with them but it makes me feel uncomfortable and i feel better on my own, less awkward.Socially people thought i was rude (my mum used to say my mouth would get me hung!) but I couldn't understand what i had said wrong, i was only being honest. When i was a young girl i would scream when my mum tried to brush my hair (an Auntie thought something may be wrong then, because it didn't matter how gentle they were i hated my hair being brushed) I was very "highly strung" , my brother says i was a horribe child, never smiled. Also my aunties say as a baby i didn't smile.They say i was very serious, have no sense of humour. But i could already read and write when i started school etc. My mum says I always wanted to play games my way with the other kids and they got fed up and went home.I always wanted to follow the rules and if we crossed the street but didn't use the lollipop lady it would really upset me.I now have a thing about doing things wrong, if i have a "wrong "thought it upsets me so much and I constantly try to scan through my thoughts (sorting them) to find out what made me upset.

Also loud noises really upset me, balloons make me cover my ears, the sound of people eating drives me nuts and i want to scream at them to shut up, somebody making a movement more than a few times stresses me out completely, such as my hubby twisting his wedding ring round and round etc.I have 500 different thougths and perspectives flying through my head for any given circumstance and it all confuses me. There that's out, that feels better.

I have always felt different to other people and since having my son i have struggled terribly and am now treated for an anxiety disorder and depression.

Do you think it is possible Aspergers or am i reading too much into it all?????????????????

Edited by reuby2

46 <gulp>

I kind of knew that I'd score highly but it was precisely this sort of thing that prompted me to go and see my GP all those many years ago. As the test says though, it's not a diagnosis and should really only be treated as a 'possible pointer' towards AS. Certainly nothing to get worried about (easier said than done) but it's precisely this type of stuff that you can use as 'evidence' if you decide to go and seek a full blown dx - explain to the GP that you've taken one of these tests and the results made you 'curious'.

The big thing is, try not to worry and if it does turn out that you're AS, then you're AS and nothing can change you from being what/who you are. :thumbs:

I scored 43. And I think it would be much higher if I were a boy because the whole fascination with numbers and learning about science things I'm just not into and it does seem to be boy orientated on the whole.

I also find tests like this quite difficult to complete because what qualifies as slightly? If I definately disagree that I don't like social situations does that mean that I'm not supposed to enjoy spending time with my boyfriend or my parents? There is no definitive scale to choose from, it's either slightly or definately and I struggle knowing which category that I fit into because everyone's perception of slightly and definately will be different.

I wouldn't be too sad if it does turn out that you are Aspergers. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with you and it's not like because you ticked a few boxes all of a sudden you have something. Aspergers isn't anything, it's not a virus or something you pick up. It's just who you are, and if Aspergers is who you are then you've been Aspergers since you were born and you've managed to get this far. So I wouldn't let it worry you at all and if anything, take the positives from finding this information out. Now you can connect the dots and understand why you do things differently like being overly honest.

The thing is, while these tests do seem to be able to pick up on Aspergers traits, I bet shy people would score quite highly on these tests. It doesn't make them AS. There wasn't any sort of focus on senses in this test or reactions to being in a public place. The thing is, if you genuinely prefer going to a museum rather than the theatre and have an interest in numbers then you're going to score higher, it doesn't mean that you're Aspergers. These are just things you prefer and I bet most men would pick museum over theatre any day anyway. So I wouldn't read too much into it :lol:

Emily

xxx

I think the point of these sorts of tests is that they highlight aspie 'traits' for what they are - part of the human condition...

Nothing a person on the spectrum does/thinks/feels is inherently different to anything a neurotypical person does/thinks/feels, it's just a matter of degree... That's why EVERY parent on this forum has heard a million times when explaining aspects of their ASD child's behaviour "But ALL kids do that". You then get into one of those open ended loops about why the way your child does it is different to the way most children do it, and then multpily that by a factor of 'X' to cover every other piece of behaviour your child does in a 'different' way to other children... Add into that equation the fact that every child on the spectrum is different and that the degree to which any single 'trait' may be apparent or otherwise and you are starting to get a 'whole' picture that can be used as a criteria for diagnosis...

Another thing about a 'tick-box' test is that it's purely subjective - one person might see (for example) 'shyness' as a feeling of mild unease in new social situations, while another would interpret 'shyness' as complete social withdrawl - the individual yardstick is going to have more to do with an individual's psychological make up (in itself determined by life experiences, self- esteem, familial/ethnic/social expectations and norms) than any quantifiable 'measure' that can be applied to all people completing a single questionnaire...

Personally, I think these 'tests' are fun, and that they can help everybody to understand a little bit more about themselves. As a barometer for autism, though, I think they can be misleading and - possibly- dangerous, because they imply a 'common ground' that diminishes the very real implications of the 'actual' difference - just like those NT's who say "But all kids do that" :lol::lol::lol:

Hope that makes some sense(?) Sometimes I get my worms muggled! ;):wacko:

L&P

BD :D

Thanks everyone, I do see little quirks in myself, not that it bothers me but it would help me to understand myself a bit better. Not very nice but when i was 13 i tried to kill myself, I couldn't cope with things even then and never understood why i take things so seriously etc.Oh well 21 years later and I'm still here, can't be doing too bad!!!!!

Hi Reuby2 you have more company.I scored 32.......yes I am a bit quirky here and there.I would be boring any other way. :D:D So I am happy to go to the gymn and do the same routine on the same equipment day after day and I found it difficult driving the wrong way down a one way street today-despite being instructed to do so because of roadworks. :D:D Karen

I scored 36. When I was younger I did really well academically and got postgraduate qualifications but I have never had a well paid job, despite applying for literally hundreds of positions (some I was ideally qualified for, some less so). This is partly because I was very similar to you as a child and my self-confidence suffered terribly as a result, but also because I struggle with nerves and some of the interviews I did get went dreadfully wrong. I am glad, at the age of 37, to understand at last why I have been such a failure in the real world.

Edited by chriss

I did it last week and I was only about 19 or something like that. I just did it again and I was 30! What the heck does that mean, have I turned Aspie overnight??!! :huh::lol:

~ Mel ~

Well I got 14! Is there a term for being almost exactly opposite to AS??? :lol: Does that make me an TNT (typical neuro typical) :lol:

Jill

There is hope for you. Reading this may help you come to terms with your condition.

http://home.att.net/~ascaris1/neurotypicality.html

Simon

Yep I'm in there at 20, so there's no hope for me either, :P but the help sheet looks like a good read.

I have saved it for all the family members outside of our unit of 5, or should that be 6 if I include the dog who I'm sure has ADD or something! :blink:

I think it puts a whole new slant on things as someone without an ASD who lives with 4 who do and is always trying to help others outside of our unit understand :huh: "WHAT GIVES WITH MY FAMILY!" :huh:

I've just made myself dizzy!!

The thing is, while these tests do seem to be able to pick up on Aspergers traits, I bet shy people would score quite highly on these tests. It doesn't make them AS. There wasn't any sort of focus on senses in this test or reactions to being in a public place. The thing is, if you genuinely prefer going to a museum rather than the theatre and have an interest in numbers then you're going to score higher, it doesn't mean that you're Aspergers. These are just things you prefer and I bet most men would pick museum over theatre any day anyway. So I wouldn't read too much into it :lol:

Another thing about a 'tick-box' test is that it's purely subjective - one person might see (for example) 'shyness' as a feeling of mild unease in new social situations, while another would interpret 'shyness' as complete social withdrawl - the individual yardstick is going to have more to do with an individual's psychological make up (in itself determined by life experiences, self- esteem, familial/ethnic/social expectations and norms) than any quantifiable 'measure' that can be applied to all people completing a single questionnaire...

BD :D

I agree. The questionnaire doesnt allow for individual preferences and differences. People are far more complex than this questionnaire suggests. The socially withdrawn person who frequents the library is a worn out stereotype - surely? :wacko: And who says you can't find social situations difficult, yet still enjoy a party? I do.

I scored 17! :rolleyes:

I think my cat would score quite high though.

K x

I agree. The questionnaire doesnt allow for individual preferences and differences. People are far more complex than this questionnaire suggests. The socially withdrawn person who frequents the library is a worn out stereotype - surely? :wacko: And who says you can't find social situations difficult, yet still enjoy a party? I do.

I agree about the surveys limitations but to be fair to the Authors I am sure they know you can't diagnose Autism in a few questions, but I think it does some useful 'food for thought' for many of us.This is especially true of people (like me) who scored quite highly.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

I agree with you Mossgrove, I was talking to my friend (one of the mums at school) about this test and mentioned some of the questions and how I answered and she couldn't understand how I felt awkward around people and would rather stand on my own etc.(if i don't know them too well) I just thought everyone felt the same, but she said that she would rather stand with someone even if she didn't know them well than stand on her own. I have always enjoyed "educational" things and knowledge (learning about things i find very interesting) I realised the other day that my son had a tin of marbles and i was about to say "why don't we sort them into different piles, all the red ones in one pile etc"

But i stopped myself and left him to it, BUT i was itching to sort them!!!!!

As I have said, I am treated for an anxiety disorder but I am now wondering whether the anxiety is just part of something else....e.g Aspergers???? It would certainly answer some questions for me.If my son had never been diagnosed as being on the spectrum, I wouldn't have known anything about asd/aspergers etc, but now the more i know about it, watching my son do the things i did as a child, the more i wonder????

I agree with you Mossgrove, I was talking to my friend (one of the mums at school) about this test and mentioned some of the questions and how I answered and she couldn't understand how I felt awkward around people and would rather stand on my own etc.(if i don't know them too well) I just thought everyone felt the same, but she said that she would rather stand with someone even if she didn't know them well than stand on her own. I have always enjoyed "educational" things and knowledge (learning about things i find very interesting) I realised the other day that my son had a tin of marbles and i was about to say "why don't we sort them into different piles, all the red ones in one pile etc"

But i stopped myself and left him to it, BUT i was itching to sort them!!!!!

As I have said, I am treated for an anxiety disorder but I am now wondering whether the anxiety is just part of something else....e.g Aspergers???? It would certainly answer some questions for me.If my son had never been diagnosed as being on the spectrum, I wouldn't have known anything about asd/aspergers etc, but now the more i know about it, watching my son do the things i did as a child, the more i wonder????

Hi reuby 2.I noticed the comment you made re being treated for an anxiety disoreder.I am in a similar situation to you.I also scored in the thirties on the questionaire.However I have a history of anxiety following a traumatic event.I wonder whether an alternative explanation of the result is that it is not sensitive enough to distinguish difficulties relating to anxiety from those relating to ASD.

My son Ben is also an example of how difficult it can be to differentiate between difficulties.When he was very young I was very anxious at times.The various professionals who have Assessed Ben have not been able to agree a clear Dx.Some think he has Asperger Syndrome and some think he is anxious as a result of my mental ill health when he was young.All of the professionals are experienced and skilled.However having done a lot of research I think it can be difficult to come to a clear decision in some cases.

It can be difficult to decide whether anxiety is part of Aspergers or whether the behaviour that results from anxiety looks very like Asperger Syndrome but is not.

If I get a clearer answer in the next few months I will let you know. :D:D Regards Karen

Karen,

I am suprised that you have been told that your's son's anxiety may be due to your problems with anxiety. I have constantly been upset that my son's problems may be down to my anxiety and have been repeatedly told by different proffessionals that it is not my fault, that autism is not caused by nuturing and that his behaviour would show in a different way if it was my fault. Hope you're okay because if they told me that it might be down to me i would be even more anxious!!!! :blink::blink:

Edited by reuby2

I scored 46. I am concered about similar tests used at job interviews. Last July I had to sit a Myers-Briggs personality profile at a job interview. Employers probably have optimum profiles and it wouldn't surprise me if they want NT extroverts.

Karen,

I am suprised that you have been told that your's son's anxiety may be due to your problems with anxiety. I have constantly been upset that my son's problems may be down to my anxiety and have been repeatedly told by different proffessionals that it is not my fault, that autism is not caused by nuturing and that his behaviour would show in a different way if it was my fault. Hope you're okay because if they told me that it might be down to me i would be even more anxious!!!! :blink::blink:

Hi Yes I am fine.I hope I did not say the wrong thing.I did not want you to feel more worried.I know that autism is not related to parenting.I am ok because I know that over the years we have done the best we could.If Ben's difficulties are related to me then I was unwell which is not somthing to blame myself for.Karen

No worries Karen, I was just thinking that it wasn't very nice for you to be told that. >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Thanks.I have to say it was not one of the better things I have been told.Karen.