Sign in to follow this  
ellisisamazing

Nursery Places

My son is at special school and my daughter who is two and a half will be attending 5 free nursery sessions from September 07. I really want to try and get her in to Nursery beforehand for one or two sessions per week to give her time to adjust and give me back some time for myself!

Anyway I know I can pay for this to happen, but I have heard that in certain circumstances that places are given free of charge, a girl I used to know had PND and was awarded free sessions for 2 of her 4 children. She was only 21, single and had 4 kids in 4 years. Maybe because she was a lone parent it was awarded?

Does anybody know if this is true? My Husband works full time. We recieve DLA middle rate and Carers Allowance.

Does your daughter have any kind of special needs?

I know there is a voucher system where nursery places are always available from age 4 and often from age 3 depending on funds avauilable in any particular year. I am not aware of places being available for children below that age unless they have special needs. If a woman of 21 had had 4 children in 4 years it may be that socal services had arranged some exta assistance for her.

Simon

Hi Simon, No, my daughter has no special needs. She is pretty clingy to me and I want to make the transition gradually.

I will contact my HV, It is worth a shot!

Thanks Lisa xx

Where i am there is a social services run nursery(there might be where you are) both my kids went there 2 full days a week free (but only if your on some kind of benefit e.g. family tax credit etc.).

you could look into it :D

Clare

Where i am there is a social services run nursery(there might be where you are) both my kids went there 2 full days a week free (but only if your on some kind of benefit e.g. family tax credit etc.).

you could look into it :D

Clare

Thanks madmooch, We are on Child Tax Credit?? So we may not apply!

I will look into it though.

Lisa xx

My son is at special school and my daughter who is two and a half will be attending 5 free nursery sessions from September 07. I really want to try and get her in to Nursery beforehand for one or two sessions per week to give her time to adjust and give me back some time for myself!

Anyway I know I can pay for this to happen, but I have heard that in certain circumstances that places are given free of charge, a girl I used to know had PND and was awarded free sessions for 2 of her 4 children. She was only 21, single and had 4 kids in 4 years. Maybe because she was a lone parent it was awarded?

Does anybody know if this is true? My Husband works full time. We recieve DLA middle rate and Carers Allowance.

Hi Ellisisamazing.I think nursery provision is very differerent in different parts of the country.In our area the marority of children get a place at 3.Your health visitor is probably the best person to ask.The other place to enquire is your sure start office if you live in an area that has sure start.I think the Government provide low cost nursery or playgroup places in some Sure Start Areas for families in need of additional help.I know that lone parents wanting to return to work are a priority however it is woth asking whether there is provision for those in your situation.Regards Karen.

Hi Ellisisamazing.I think nursery provision is very differerent in different parts of the country.In our area the marority of children get a place at 3.Your health visitor is probably the best person to ask.The other place to enquire is your sure start office if you live in an area that has sure start.I think the Government provide low cost nursery or playgroup places in some Sure Start Areas for families in need of additional help.I know that lone parents wanting to return to work are a priority however it is woth asking whether there is provision for those in your situation.Regards Karen.

Thanks Karen A,

I have spoken to my HV this morning and she is going to see what my options are. I think it is totally down to individual cases and how you are coping basically, if all else fails....we will have to pay until September!